Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Playing time u13

Should playing time be somewhat equal at u13?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Define "somewhat".

My belief is everyone should play at least half, but no it should not be equal.

Comment

All players should be getting at least 50% of the game, but some players will definitely play more. Also-in a league like ECNL, there are "no re-entry" rules, so that can have an impact on how PT is distributed.

Comment

All players should be getting at least 50% of the game, but some players will definitely play more. Also-in a league like ECNL, there are "no re-entry" rules, so that can have an impact on how PT is distributed.
        Are you sure about that? Even at that age?

I know at U15 and above in DA there is no re-entry and it's vocal minutes aren't (and shouldn't) be equal.

Comment

Are you sure about that? Even at that age?

I know at U15 and above in DA there is no re-entry and it's vocal minutes aren't (and shouldn't) be equal.
          ECNL is no re-entry in the same half, even at U13.

Comment

ECNL is no re-entry in the same half, even at U13.
            Not as restrictive as GDA, but it still has an impact.

Comment

Not as restrictive as GDA, but it still has an impact.
              Personally, I agree with it. Players need to work through their fitness and mistakes.

Knowing they will get pulled off at any time for an error hinders their creativeness

Comment

Define "somewhat".

My belief is everyone should play at least half, but no it should not be equal.
                Agree. 50% for everyone up to HS ages, anything above is earned based on ability, effort and game situation.

There are many coaches and clubs that will play kids significantly less than 50% week after week, if this is your kid's situation begin exploring alternative options. Conversely if your child is on the bottom 3rd of a roster and getting 50% playing time you should consider yourself lucky, there are not many coaches who put the needs of all players above their own desire to win.

Comment

Agree. 50% for everyone up to HS ages, anything above is earned based on ability, effort and game situation.

There are many coaches and clubs that will play kids significantly less than 50% week after week, if this is your kid's situation begin exploring alternative options. Conversely if your child is on the bottom 3rd of a roster and getting 50% playing time you should consider yourself lucky, there are not many coaches who put the needs of all players above their own desire to win.
                  Mine is definitely at the bottom third and seeing less than 50%. Others are allowed to make mistakes with no consequences. Frustrating for my kid traveling two hours to a game to play less than half a game.

Comment

Personally, I would talk to the coach about playing on another team at a lower level within the same club. Still ask to practice with the team they are on, but supplement their minutes with lower team.

If you are on the lowest team, honestly, I'd look to move to another club who plays at a lower league.

Not saying they can't make it back, but they may be over their head? Not defending the coach/club...some will take the check and not be honest up front.

Comment

^^ To add, also ask yourself:

* Is my kid showing up all the time?
                      * Are they working hard in practice and in their own time?

Often, (and I do not mean to say this is your case!!), some who aren't playing a lot are the least dedicated players on the team.

Comment

^^ To add, also ask yourself:

* Is my kid showing up all the time?
                        * Are they working hard in practice and in their own time?

Often, (and I do not mean to say this is your case!!), some who aren't playing a lot are the least dedicated players on the team.
                        Yes and yes. And matter of fact, the ones who get the most playing time are the ones who miss practices. My kid has perfect attendance. Nice try.

Comment

Yes and yes. And matter of fact, the ones who get the most playing time are the ones who miss practices. My kid has perfect attendance. Nice try.
                          C'mon dude, I specifically wrote this:

"(and I do not mean to say this is your case!!)" so I wasn't TRYING anything.

You asked for advice, I've offered some. But in most cases, there's an underlying reason that parents don't see. It's a worthwhile question to ask, but again...I didn't point any fingers in that post.

Comment

It's still early so no need to panic quite yet. But definitely observe, see if your kid is hustling as much as the others or if you know anything about the game, see if she has some gaps she needs to fill. Ask the coach if there are gaps she needs to fill. Up until HS it should be 50% or close to it. This is the age where the wheat starts to separate from the chaff. The top players rise up, some players stay the same, some drop down or out altogether. But kids who don't play much are some of the ones most likely to drop out of soccer altogether.

If things don't improve then a drop down or just to another club altogether might be needed. Don't wait until she has started to drag her feet to practice or suddenly has more stomach aches or other excuses. It's getting to be too late by then and can be a self-fulfilling prophecy

Comment

What’s the size of the roster?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X