Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are refs doing enough to protect kids?

High School games seem to have no rules. Refs seem to not care kids killing each other. They don't want to be yelled at but miss 90% of calls. Who is teaching these people?

You are over-blowing the situation. You must be new to HS soccer and are worried about your tiny frosh. With a 4 year age spread there will be body collisions that demonstrate basic laws of physics. However, it doesn't help that most HS games only have 2 refs instead of 3 and because of typical games times (late afternoon) you're more like to get the geriatric crowd who struggle to keep up. Also lower level programs don't have nearly as many club players and it can get more scrappy

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      You are over-blowing the situation. You must be new to HS soccer and are worried about your tiny frosh. With a 4 year age spread there will be body collisions that demonstrate basic laws of physics. However, it doesn't help that most HS games only have 2 refs instead of 3 and because of typical games times (late afternoon) you're more like to get the geriatric crowd who struggle to keep up. Also lower level programs don't have nearly as many club players and it can get more scrappy
      i attended my first hs soccer game in 25+ years...referees were atrocious (but at least equally atrocious for both sides) I cant believe 2 refs per game!!!!!!....its almost like rec soccer!!!! my son would quit if he was not playing with his friends....he cant wait for club ball to begin (myself included).

Comment

https://www.instagram.com/zacchio_lohud/

Top right : (

Comment

When I watch professional men's soccer, players are yellow-carded for far less than what happens in girls high school soccer.

Comment

Its not a HS thing per se. The quality of referees is directly proportional to $$. The refs in College, Club and HS on the girls side do not follow the right protocol for dangerous play

1. Warning and explanation
            2. YC
            3. RC

Persistent fouling should also follow the same process. They should also be willing to card a player to calm down games when necessary.

The mindset tends to be - awwwww they are girls, she didnt mean it. Equality is a lot more than just pay.

Comment

i attended my first hs soccer game in 25+ years...referees were atrocious (but at least equally atrocious for both sides) I cant believe 2 refs per game!!!!!!....its almost like rec soccer!!!! my son would quit if he was not playing with his friends....he cant wait for club ball to begin (myself included).
              Ref shortages are becoming a growing issue. Too many kids who could eventually become good adult refs are dropping out because of bad coach and parent behavior. It's very tough to find refs for afternoon games since for nearly all reffing is a part time gig and they have other jobs.

I also think because soccer hasn't been a popular sport you have fewer adults who used to play the game themselves. Basketball, football and baseball - obviously way more popular for years - all have plenty of adult refs who are former players and have stuck with reffing a long time.

Comment

The mindset tends to be - awwwww they are girls, she didnt mean it. Equality is a lot more than just pay.
                Having players of both genders I think there's a good deal of truth to that.

Comment

You are missing the point entirely.

Comment

Its not a HS thing per se. The quality of referees is directly proportional to $$. The refs in College, Club and HS on the girls side do not follow the right protocol for dangerous play

1. Warning and explanation
                    2. YC
                    3. RC

Persistent fouling should also follow the same process. They should also be willing to card a player to calm down games when necessary.

Why a warning first? Rules are clear, a yellow card offense is a yellow card offense. Whole team can get 11 freebies before first card? That is why games get out of control.

Comment

Why a warning first? Rules are clear, a yellow card offense is a yellow card offense. Whole team can get 11 freebies before first card? That is why games get out of control.
                      Not the poster but I think refs in general give a little leeway if it's a player's first offense and it isn't glaringly obvious (or if the ref is far away which happens more in HS). However, if a player repeats the ref better shut the sh#t down real quick. It's way too easy to lose control of a game. HS crowds are sometimes larger than club and can not only be more vocal, but you get fans who don't even know the rules of the game. I know ours thinks every time a player hits the ground it must be a foul.

Comment

Not the poster but I think refs in general give a little leeway if it's a player's first offense and it isn't glaringly obvious (or if the ref is far away which happens more in HS). However, if a player repeats the ref better shut the sh#t down real quick. It's way too easy to lose control of a game. HS crowds are sometimes larger than club and can not only be more vocal, but you get fans who don't even know the rules of the game. I know ours thinks every time a player hits the ground it must be a foul.
                        warnings are sometimes given to players during the world cup (prior to cards)...its referees discretion....a ref can do whatever the hell they want since the federation basically gives them power equal to GOD!!!!

Comment

I think most refs around here are used to watching American sports and don't realize that soccer is not supposed to include a ton of contact.

Comment

I think most refs around here are used to watching American sports and don't realize that soccer is not supposed to include a ton of contact.
                            The problem is it starts at the clubs. The kids that foul in the games foul at the practices but the coaches never correct it. And then you also have parents that teach their kids to foul because they know it won't be called. It is ridiculous. And yes, I am talking at DA and ECNL clubs as well as rec.

Comment

The problem is it starts at the clubs. The kids that foul in the games foul at the practices but the coaches never correct it. And then you also have parents that teach their kids to foul because they know it won't be called. It is ridiculous. And yes, I am talking at DA and ECNL clubs as well as rec.
                              that is BS!!!!!! soccer is a contact activity...fouls are part of the game at all levels including the pros and at the world cup. sometimes the referee calls it, sometimes they dont, sometimes they cont. the play because you fouled but lost possession, sometimes the referee was not in the right angle to see what happens, sometimes the referees are retarded.

The problem is the rules are completely discretionary and therefore there is no consistency from one call to the next. This is soccer.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X