Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My kid doesn't want to play Premier

Having a hard time biting my tongue. My kid is good enough to play Premier. Even did it before. But now has no interest in it, and prefers a Rec-level team. Now getting invites to guest play, and won't go. Says that it's just not enough fun.

I don't have dreams of my kid getting a scholarship or playing professional, but it's hard to stand by and watch talent being squandered. Any advice?

Yeah, let him play rec and enjoy himself. He may just not want to put the time and effort in knowing for 95% of them, it's just for fun. Or, maybe he's a wuss and doesn't want to work that hard and has a fear of failure. Either way, he should play rec.

If he's not all-in, I know from my perspective I'd rather he not be on the team.

Comment

what he said!

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        Having a hard time biting my tongue. My kid is good enough to play Premier. Even did it before. But now has no interest in it, and prefers a Rec-level team. Now getting invites to guest play, and won't go. Says that it's just not enough fun.

I don't have dreams of my kid getting a scholarship or playing professional, but it's hard to stand by and watch talent being squandered. Any advice?
        Talk to one of the crazy parents from the Revs.

Comment

Playing premier when the player doesn't want to is a guarantee of failure no matter the talent level. To succeed at a high level, yes, you need talent, but way more importantly, you need drive.

Premier can be a grind. Kids that really want to be there thrive on it. Kids that don't want to be, don't.

Your son sounds younger. Let him choose his path.

Comment

If you are calling club soccer "premier", you are clearly not from this state. Go to the directory, find your state, and post there.

Bottom line is though, he is not interested in the sport. So be it, it's his life. However, you have not indicated how old he is and therefore most answers you receive will be out of context.

Comment

you all do realize this was a planted thread right? you can see right through it. don't feed his obsession

Comment

you all do realize this was a planted thread right? you can see right through it. don't feed his obsession
                I know, it's just a boring Friday.

I shouldn't give him the website hits though.

Comment

What does your kid identify as?

Comment

My God, you are paranoid. I wanted multiple opinions on a busier forum. Take off the tinfoil hat.

Comment

My God, you are paranoid. I wanted multiple opinions on a busier forum. Take off the tinfoil hat.
                      This forum has a history....if your post is legit, let him figure out what he wants to do. The last thing a parents should do is force. I don't know how old he is, but usually by middle school the better players leave and what's left is pretty bad soccer. Once that happens if he wants to get better he might consider going back to premier. If he doesn't, then let him play where he's happy. What's in it for you if he goes to premier? Because it isn't for him if he doesn't want to be there.

- Been there, done that, but I'm not him. Just have raised 4 kids.

Comment

Stop reading/posting on talking-soccer.com for starters. The rest might fall into place for you.

Comment

Let your kid forge his own path (assuming he doesn't do something dangerous or ruin his education of course). He'll find what drives him in good time. And he'll thank you for it later.
                          No amount of skill can make up for a lack of passion. I had one like that, my oldest. In time he focused other sports and became really, really good at them. Soccer just wasn't his thing.

Comment

WT.F is "Premier"? Do you mean NEP? Who says "Premier"? English League? What a moron.

Comment

BTNT strikes again. The herpes virus of TS.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X