Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Cony. Look at the previous posts. You will see the letter he sent Westside parents about the needless costs of ECNL where Westside is now trying to be a member.
    If the DOC for Westside, who appears to also be heavily involved with the Thorns Academy, sent that letter to all of the Westside families blasting ECNL and the cost to participate it seems unlikely that the Thorns get in to ECNL. Clearly, he does not believe in the ECNL and its structure.

So, that means the only reason he is now interested in ECNL is because they have nowhere else to play but in OYSA. Pretty hypocritical at this point to be on your knees begging like a dog for something you spit on in the past.

Comment

I don't think any competitive club DOC is making anywhere near as low as $1k/team, so your estimate of "the market" might be off. Perhaps your estimate of what the position ought to be worth is reasonable--I think teachers ought to be making more than bond traders, for instance--but many DOCs, as you note, have salaries north of $100k. (Last I heard, Cony was well south of that figure, FWIW).

Of course, many have compensation from other sources: coaching gigs outside the club, private training, etc. And some DoCs have more duties than others--quite a few coach a team or two themselves.
      Most DOC's rely on the recreational low overhead revenue stream to pad their salaries, since 20 to 30 competitive teams could not provide enough profit to pay $100K annually.

No other side gig needed with a 2K to 3K rec membership subsidizing the competitive branch of the club. Story old as time.

Comment

Why? Based on past performance, they should stick with local competition. Neither the coaching or players are good enough to play outside Oregon.
        This applies to all ECNL teams in Oregon.

Comment

This applies to all ECNL teams in Oregon.
          Past performance proves you wrong.

Comment

Most DOC's rely on the recreational low overhead revenue stream to pad their salaries, since 20 to 30 competitive teams could not provide enough profit to pay $100K annually.

No other side gig needed with a 2K to 3K rec membership subsidizing the competitive branch of the club. Story old as time.
            Not sure what your agenda is but this post is complete nonsense. Rec may be low coat but it is also low revenue. Key to surplus seems to be hosting large tournaments and some degree of additional fundraising.

Comment

Past performance proves you wrong.
              CU beating up on FC Portland does not count.

Comment

Not sure what your agenda is but this post is complete nonsense. Rec may be low coat but it is also low revenue. Key to surplus seems to be hosting large tournaments and some degree of additional fundraising.
                Fall rec cost at club x

2000 rec kids x $150 reg fee=

$300k revenue

Coach cost zero

This is the cash cow, puts the profit in non-profit

Big tourneys huge overhead cost- refs and fields etc..

25k to 75K net.

The more you know

Comment

Fall rec cost at club x

2000 rec kids x $150 reg fee=

$300k revenue

Coach cost zero

This is the cash cow, puts the profit in non-profit

Big tourneys huge overhead cost- refs and fields etc..

25k to 75K net.

The more you know
                  No Oregon club has anywhere near 2000 rec players.
                  Cost is 75-125 not 150.
                  You skipped league fees, which unless you are self administering, you are paying to someone else and are expensive.
                  You also skipped equipment and practice field costs.

Again why mislead with this stuff? Seems like misdirection.

Comment

No Oregon club has anywhere near 2000 rec players.
                    Cost is 75-125 not 150.
                    You skipped league fees, which unless you are self administering, you are paying to someone else and are expensive.
                    You also skipped equipment and practice field costs.

Again why mislead with this stuff? Seems like misdirection.

West linnWilsonville

Lake Oswego

Just two examples of 2k+ rec.

Play themselves.
                    Refs cheap
                    City amd school field parks..free
                    Mini goals cheap or bigger goals school/city supplied

Comment

West linnWilsonville

Lake Oswego

Just two examples of 2k+ rec.

Play themselves.
                      Refs cheap
                      City amd school field parks..free
                      Mini goals cheap or bigger goals school/city supplied

Bet you a $2 bill their tournaments contributed more than their rec program, atleast until covid.

Comment

CU beating up on FC Portland does not count.
                        Than we can go with CU’s top 20 ranking in ECNL. You can’t deny the results chump that come down to wins and losses across age groups.

And your ignorant excuses for watered down this or that are just excuses from a desperate fool attempting to perpetuate a false narrative.

Comment

Interesting how things in Oregon soccer keep repeating the same problems.

Dear Parents, Coaches, and Managers,
                          Several times during the past year, members of our club have asked me if we are applying for the ECNL. For those who don’t know, the ECNL is an elite soccer league for girls youth soccer. In my opinion the “E” in ECLN doesn’t stand for elite but instead stands for “everybody that wants to spend a great deal of money to be one of the Jones’ ”. As long as I am the DOC for Westside Timbers, my answer to joining the ECNL will continue to be NO. Obviously if significant changes are made to ECNL perhaps the answer would be different.
                          If I went to the WST Board to sell them on the joining the ECNL, they would probably have me committed to a padded facility. Why would the Board have me committed you ask? It would be for the fact that the ECNL would cost each player $8,000 per year starting at u14 through U18. That would be a total of $40,000 plus for each player over a 5 year period. In my opinion the money would be better spent by building Futsal courts for their kids and their grand kids.
                          When I started with Westside Metros SC on August 15, 2002, it was never my intent for Westside to become one of the Jones’. Soon after I arrived, we were asked to join the Y League. The Y League was a league where teams traveled to some locations (some of them obscure) throughout Oregon, Washington and Canada to play games. In many instances the games were meaningless and scheduled at the last minute. Our answer to join- ing the Y League was “No”. This league did not make sense or help our players and their development. Some other clubs in Oregon did join the Y League. The league ended up not being successful and the clubs regretted their decision.
                          A few years later USSF (US Soccer Federation) provided an opportunity for our Club to join the US Soccer Academy Program. We again decided not to pursue this opportunity. Another local Club jumped on the offer and the results were disastrous.
                          A few years later the WCDA (Western College Development Association) was formed. A few of our local clubs joined and for the third time it was a bust.
                          A few years ago, USSF approached Westside Metros and offered the US Soccer Academy Program after one local club attempt at running it resulted failure. My conversation with the USSF representative regarding this opportunity was very simple. I told them that the following year, the MLS Portland Timbers are going to want an academy program and if you give us the academy and then one to the Timbers the following year it will be a total disaster. My advice to USSF was not to give us the academy program but award it to the Timbers the next year. I also told them that our state could barely put one strong team together to compete at that level. Two clubs running separate academy programs would be pure lunacy. Guess what? They agreed with me because they knew in their hearts that I was right. The following year the Timbers were awarded the academy program.
                          I have been coaching for 39 years and it deeply saddens me how people who are involved in non-profit youth sport programs get away with selling smoke and mirrors programs to the masses. We need to realize that we are dealing with kids and parents finances. I will not abuse either one of them to try to keep up with the Jones’. Fortunately my parents were poorer than dirt and they came to America. They had nothing but the clothes on their backs when they arrived to this great country. Because of them, I was taught to be frugal and to use com- mon sense. These values have allowed me to help steer this club into the 21st century. I am not alone on this quest. Many others are on this quest with me. Rest assured that our club will continue to be successful on and off the field. This club is more than a club. We are communities working together to use soccer as a vehicle to make better people. This is our mantra and please don’t forget it.
                          Is our club perfect? No. But for our Club it has always been and will always be about the game, the kids and adults who are involved in it.
                          Spending $8000 to $10,000 per player per year to play in the ECNL is in my opinion is an abomination. In some instances Clubs participating in this program will raise the fees to everyone in order to subsidize the few taking part in the program. Our Club feels strongly against such a scenario. We currently have and have had players from our club play on national teams and professional teams. Many have received scholarships to universities all over the United States. None of those players or their teammates ever spent that kind of money per year.
                          Soon the Portland Timbers will start their girls youth academy program. If any of our girls are good enough and they want to play for the Timbers Girls Academy program they will have my full support. The same support I of- fered to our boys who have and will leave the club to play for the Timbers Boys Academy Program. But in the end, I will not be selling my parents snow cones with only ice and no syrup of their choice.
                          If as a parent or coach your are not satisfied with my explanation in why we are not going to ever apply to the ECNL please email me your phone number and I will call you back to discuss it in more detail.
                          Otherwise, I want to thank you for reading this message and I am happy you are part of the Westside Timbers SC B/TS/NB.
                          Best Wishes
                          Cony
                          DOC Westside Timbers SC
                          Bump. Now trying to get into ECNL because they have nothing left.

“ Spending $8000 to $10,000 per player per year to play in the ECNL is in my opinion is an abomination. In some instances Clubs participating in this program will raise the fees to everyone in order to subsidize the few taking part in the program. Our Club feels strongly against such a scenario. We currently have and have had players from our club play on national teams and professional teams. Many have received scholarships to universities all over the United States. None of those players or their teammates ever spent that kind of money per year.“

Comment

Bump. Now trying to get into ECNL because they have nothing left.

“ Spending $8000 to $10,000 per player per year to play in the ECNL is in my opinion is an abomination. In some instances Clubs participating in this program will raise the fees to everyone in order to subsidize the few taking part in the program. Our Club feels strongly against such a scenario. We currently have and have had players from our club play on national teams and professional teams. Many have received scholarships to universities all over the United States. None of those players or their teammates ever spent that kind of money per year.“
                            Was this information included on their ECNL application?

Comment

Was this information included on their ECNL application?
                              Westside isn't trying to get into ECNL, Thorns are.

Comment

Westside isn't trying to get into ECNL, Thorns are.
                                Is the Thorns academy technical director not Cony Kostin? Thorns or Westside. Who cares. Leaders opinions matter.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X