Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I live in NE Florida. Here we have 2 large clubs. Florida Elite Soccer Academy, and JayFC Armada. I'm reading the posts on this forum and it's the same situation, same complaints, people saying the same things about "Owners" versus "Director of coaching & BOD". Maybe the problem is systemic, across the board, that soccer has become a big business run by businessmen. My other child is playing baseball, all volunteer coaches, there doesn't seem to be as much complaining from the baseball parents when compared to soccer parents. Why is that? So far this year I've paid $2,000 for my daughter to play soccer, and $150 for my son to play baseball, and the regular season hasn't started yet! I'm thinking money may be the root cause that is driving all the negativity.
    You are on to something. When people pay a large sum of $$$$$ they believe that are entitled to have a say.

Comment

I live in NE Florida. Here we have 2 large clubs. Florida Elite Soccer Academy, and JayFC Armada. I'm reading the posts on this forum and it's the same situation, same complaints, people saying the same things about "Owners" versus "Director of coaching & BOD". Maybe the problem is systemic, across the board, that soccer has become a big business run by businessmen. My other child is playing baseball, all volunteer coaches, there doesn't seem to be as much complaining from the baseball parents when compared to soccer parents. Why is that? So far this year I've paid $2,000 for my daughter to play soccer, and $150 for my son to play baseball, and the regular season hasn't started yet! I'm thinking money may be the root cause that is driving all the negativity.
      Interesting difference..NE Florida has only two clubs..and they also run the recreational programs as well and/or youth academies. That squeezes out the each town having its own (or in RI case some towns have more than one) rec and town travel in addition to the premiers. There has been a bit of premier consolidation/market adjustment, but having a few large clubs with the economies of scale has its advantages.

The diffusion of so many town programs here leads to non-standardization, stresses the coaching education system (so its bifurcated - with the higher level licenses still way to expensive and tough to get and the entry ones migrating from the same (a money maker for the state program) to now almost too basic; stresses the ref system (way too many games), and frankly robs the large club system of the revenues since rec basically is the money maker in a rec/travel system. Of course, it also leads to way too many people who may (or may not) have good intentions, but lack the business or coaching skills. It also leads to way too many games as it's not sexy to sell a training first (and mainly) program unless it's part of a holistic development system, which town clubs can't do (at least sustainably).

It also lead to way more premiers (since those only were u12 and up) where as having to set up a true rec to elite club model makes the barrier to entry higher.

But essentially the systemic issue is soccer has been grown as a top down money maker (start with FIFA, USYSA)..little transparency, talk but no walk when it comes to development and what's best for kids..it's a I get mine and you can get yours if you play ball..and that has permeated down (not everywhere and not in all things, but in enough to make the larger system very flawed).

Comment

All interesting...

How does that relate to Bayside's management allowing for drunken parents verbally assaulting teen-age refs for games that take place before noon?

Comment

All interesting...

How does that relate to Bayside's management allowing for drunken parents verbally assaulting teen-age refs for games that take place before noon?
          they don't have to be drunk,, they are just psychotic all the time!

Comment

All interesting...

Because they grew up (excuse the irony) in a town rec program where they and their kids were big fishes and they think that privilege carries over to when they go to premier (a bit of a generalization, but accurate in the worst offenders)

If you start in an elite club model at the rec level you learn pretty quickly that kind of behavior is not tolerated or you get identified early as "one of those parents" and unless your kid is really the special one, your kid is just one of a lot of potentially future all-stars that won't be missed much if your parental behavior is not worth the hassle to the coach/club.

Comment

This is such a tired comment. 80% of his older team will continued to play at the college level from D1-D3. His younger team has two players in the PDP program (no not his daughter) and the team is training to play at nationals in July. Great coach respected by his players and parents.
              didn't DD get "spoken to" last year because he repeatedly would plug his daughter when coaches would call about other players?? People leave bayside because of him not the club itself..

Comment

Way too many cancelled practices at this club. How can they have no plan for bad weather. Poor communication also. Time to leave.

Comment

Way too many cancelled practices at this club. How can they have no plan for bad weather. Poor communication also. Time to leave.
                  Only one parent this could be.....

Comment

Only one parent this could be.....
                    There is only one parent that feels this way really! Pretty much the whole club feels this way.

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2177085]There is only one parent that feels this way really! Pretty much the whole club feels this way.[/]

Did you survey this? Perhaps you could share your results?

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2177193]
                        There is only one parent that feels this way really! Pretty much the whole club feels this way.[/]

Did you survey this? Perhaps you could share your results?
                        Make sure you pay all your Bayside fees to the club President you never see and who doesn’t respond to emails. He has to pay all his dad coaches and assistant coaches.

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2203220]

Make sure you pay all your Bayside fees to the club President you never see and who doesn’t respond to emails. He has to pay all his dad coaches and assistant coaches.
                          it is pretty unbelievable how people still flock to this club when it is so obviously a profit maker for JMA and his Porto boys. Non existent customer service.

Comment

Premier soccer alone is a money market. The real money makers are the ones with multiple teams in every division. Think about it.

Comment

The better question is why isn’t Bayside growing? This is suppose to be the premier Rhode Island club but they haven’t shown any initiative to grow and improve and that has led to their decline with their younger teams and the decline of RI club soccer overall. The top talent is playing out of state because for many Bayside is no longer an option.

Comment

The better question is why isn’t Bayside growing? This is suppose to be the premier Rhode Island club but they haven’t shown any initiative to grow and improve and that has led to their decline with their younger teams and the decline of RI club soccer overall. The top talent is playing out of state because for many Bayside is no longer an option.
                                It’s supply and demand. As long as there is demand for Bayside roster spots and parents are willing to pay for that product, why would Bayside change its business model. There appears to be continued demand for parent coaching, mediocre teams, no communication and disrespect for its customers. Kids show up for tryouts. Parents write checks. It goes on every year. No need to change.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X