Beep Test - College Preseason Fitness Womens Soccer

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^^ Initially, my thought was "yeah, but then you have the parents who think it's OK to send them out for a light jog and it's enough...so, the problem starts there."

But the reality is, you are right. If the kid has the drive, nobody needs to tell them anything. The don't wonder if what the did is enough to get by.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      ^^ Initially, my thought was "yeah, but then you have the parents who think it's OK to send them out for a light jog and it's enough...so, the problem starts there."

But the reality is, you are right. If the kid has the drive, nobody needs to tell them anything. The don't wonder if what the did is enough to get by.
      They are old enough now. Has to come from within. Look at transfer/dropout rates. Something is wrong in the system, but we carry on. Early recruiting and all sorts of other things push kids to decisions that they may be ill prepared for.

Comment

Ask your daughters, what level of the beep test are they expected to achieve going into the season. I think 17 would be laughed at. It's unattainable for even the best D1 schools as an average.

Comment

D3 college coach tells daughter that his players must achieve a level 17 on the beep test to play for him. Research I've done says that the average for D1 is 13.

Anyone have any insight?
          It's probably a scare tactic to ensure that the girls come into camp in shape. Good luck with that coach if it's a scare tactic

Comment

Ask your daughters, what level of the beep test are they expected to achieve going into the season. I think 17 would be laughed at. It's unattainable for even the best D1 schools as an average.
            as mentioned above, it depends which test and how measured. The USSF test for NTs gives much higher numbers. Beep test is a generic term.

Comment

http://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2014...ep-test-record

Comment

It is also a time to rest and prepare for the rigors of the upcoming season...a run to keep in shape is fine.
                Coach's job is to get team fit
                Go in with that attitude and you'll face an uphill battle to catch up with the rest and get playing time

Comment

Saw this well but how does it correlate to the level on the beep test. Someone earlier posted that it would be less than a level 17.

Comment

Saw this well but how does it correlate to the level on the beep test. Someone earlier posted that it would be less than a level 17.
                    US Soccer does the yoyo version. You can't compare numbers unless you are talking the same test administered the same way. Get in some good interval training for 15-20 mins twice a week and really push it, and you will do fine in the beep test

Comment

No one has really answered the OPs question. Does level 17, which is basically running 10.25 miles per hour, or under 6 minute miles sound like something a D3 coach would require from his female team in order to even step on the field?

Comment

If you want perspective. My daughter is a D1 player. She's a GK. She ran a 31 this spring. Some of you have absolutely no idea what being in shape is or how much work it takes to get there.

Comment

No one has really answered the OPs question. Does level 17, which is basically running 10.25 miles per hour, or under 6 minute miles sound like something a D3 coach would require from his female team in order to even step on the field?
                          Since there are hundreds of D3 programs of varying quality, coaching and expectations do you think an answer you get on this forum will fit one specific program? Tell your kid to ask the coach for clarification and (more importantly) tell her to get running

Comment

If you want perspective. My daughter is a D1 player. She's a GK. She ran a 31 this spring. Some of you have absolutely no idea what being in shape is or how much work it takes to get there.
                            Basically if your kid can run non stop at a decent jog rate for 90 minutes straight then the beep test should be a non issue. If they can't then maybe they should reconsider playing soccer in college.

Comment

Basically if your kid can run non stop at a decent jog rate for 90 minutes straight then the beep test should be a non issue. If they can't then maybe they should reconsider playing soccer in college.
                              This isn't what the beep test is for. Its a test of how quickly your body can recover. It's starts slow, maybe less than 50% effort needed but work rate increases at each level. The more fit you are, the more cycles you can do. You eventually get to where you can't recover fast enough and legs turn to jello, and you can't make the next beep. I don't think the division matters, but I would say in D3 where you have more athleticism than skill, a better conditioned team should have a big advantage, especially later in the game. Again, saying a 17 is needed is pointless unless you know the version that they use. I'm sure it's a level that can be easily attained with some work, but not something you are going to be able to meet if you haven't done any conditioning.

Comment

Let your kids go and figure it out for themselves. Parents have more important things to worry about. If your kids care enough, they'll do fine. If not, they'll take classes and study just like everyone else.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X