If you didn't think YNT call ups were corrupt

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clearly the poster is thinking of someone else. The Rapinoe I watched over the last few games has been incredible, back to her former "best playmaker in the business" status. The touch on that goal was superb, and at that point, the goal was the icing.

Comment

Rapinoe is not the problem. Nor is Pugh. Nor Press, Dunn, Morgan, etc.

The problem is with the midfield and defenders. Long and Mewis are both way overrated in the midfield and constantly turn the ball over due to poor first touch/vision/technical skill. Huran is decent in midfield, but what the hell is Ellis trying to prove by putting her up top with Press?

The only defenders worth a damn are Ohara and Short and they spend more time attacking and then tracking back than defending these days. Call it the curse of Marcelo.

Our goalkeeping is also terrible. Say what you want about Hope Solo, but she knew how to hold on to the damn ball.

If there is one area we have plenty of, it's speedy, creative attacking players. What we don't have are young, fit, smart defenders and midfielders who can make a connecting pass.

Comment

Best u20 us WNT forward in the 2016 WC was arguably off the bench Watt or possibly Sanchez. Pugh third.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
          Best u20 us WNT forward in the 2016 WC was arguably off the bench Watt or possibly Sanchez. Pugh third.
          Then why did Pugh get annointed the new face of US Soccer?

Comment

Because she's new and young. But she's also quite good. She'll get stronger over time

Comment

She was annointed before the u20 WC
              What exactly did she or her teams accomplish?
              You can watch her in an old archived real colorado versus I think matchfit u16 ECNL playoff game. She's good but not great. Certainly not a performance where one would think this kid is so far above her age mates (playing on age) that she should go immediately to the full NT

Her u17 WC team for which she served as captain, failed to qualify and she didn't score in the game against i think mexico that put them out. In fact I don't think was even the high scorer on that team. Then she got bumped up to the u20s where they thought she would play the 10. She was so bad they had to change formation and put her wide where she did zero to help the team succeed (They at least made it through the group and were similarly knocked out by KDPR that time in the first knockout.) That was the u20 WC where lavelle and Horan (both playing out of position) made their marks.

Then she goes back to her second u20s and they fail miserably and i satnd by my opinion she was the third best forward.

She was advanced because April Kater wanted a feather in her cap. She is the sole reason the YNT are way overloaded with Colorado kids. If kater moved to kansas we would see a disproportionate number of kids from there.

Comment

She was annointed before the u20 WC
                What exactly did she or her teams accomplish?
                You can watch her in an old archived real colorado versus I think matchfit u16 ECNL playoff game. She's good but not great. Certainly not a performance where one would think this kid is so far above her age mates (playing on age) that she should go immediately to the full NT

Her u17 WC team for which she served as captain, failed to qualify and she didn't score in the game against i think mexico that put them out. In fact I don't think was even the high scorer on that team. Then she got bumped up to the u20s where they thought she would play the 10. She was so bad they had to change formation and put her wide where she did zero to help the team succeed (They at least made it through the group and were similarly knocked out by KDPR that time in the first knockout.) That was the u20 WC where lavelle and Horan (both playing out of position) made their marks.

Then she goes back to her second u20s and they fail miserably and i satnd by my opinion she was the third best forward.

She was advanced because April Kater wanted a feather in her cap. She is the sole reason the YNT are way overloaded with Colorado kids. If kater moved to kansas we would see a disproportionate number of kids from there.
                I commend you for backing up your opinions with sound reasoning. I watched Pugh closely yday vs Japan. She was awful in the first half. Better in the second. She is very one dimensional - good when driving into space with the ball, but so far she is not a good passer, has average vision and inconsistent ball striking.

I am not at all sure I see what all the fuss is or was about. I dont see a player who would dominate College soccer immediately.

I do see a marketable kid, with a bubbly personality who did well vs some bad teams when capped at full NT level. Multi racial, young .....all the things the media folks need to create the next Alex Morgan. In this social media world we live in .....

Comment

sorry i have the wrong wunderkind. Sanchez is in that u16 game- socal blues versus matchfit. Pugh's game was a Real Colorado ECNL finals u17 game against san diego surf

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                  Auto-Saved
                  x
                  Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                  x
                  Working...
                  X