Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    The irony to that statement is just look at all the PAC 12 rosters and that a majority are ECNL. I also know some girls who rcvd PAC 12 offers were contingent they kept playing ECNL
    The reality is no coach cares what league u play in if you have the talent they desire. It is what is.

Comment

The reality is no coach cares what league u play in if you have the talent they desire. It is what is.
      Yes, but the likelihood of getting past the first screen is much lower if you're aiming for a top program. Coaches at top programs get interest from 100s of players. It's not impossible but will take more work to get their attention (you might not attend the same showcases they do so doing a camp is definitely likely) and prove yourself.

Comment

The irony to that statement is just look at all the PAC 12 rosters and that a majority are ECNL. I also know some girls who rcvd PAC 12 offers were contingent they kept playing ECNL
        I also know a few non ECNL players who were given offers at good programs and were told they have to move into ECNL (if feasible). For the time being it's the top league, most challenging etc. Of course college coaches want you playing in the most competitive league if you can. The same will continue down the road, just the league names will change

Comment

I agree with your sttement 100%, but they do care if you are consistently playing against high level competition, high speed of play, and battle tested. Again, look at all the top programs and even mid level programs their rosters are filled with ECNL alums. Our team killed every team in Oregon and it wasn't even close, but when we traveled to top tournaments like Surf the speed of play was an entirely different level

Comment

In all seriousness, I can't imagine a player asking a coach if it's a fundraiser. Way to make a dumb first impression. Pay to play all the way.
            Not at all dumb. It worked for my both my kids.

Comment

I agree with your sttement 100%, but they do care if you are consistently playing against high level competition, high speed of play, and battle tested. Again, look at all the top programs and even mid level programs their rosters are filled with ECNL alums. Our team killed every team in Oregon and it wasn't even close, but when we traveled to top tournaments like Surf the speed of play was an entirely different level

Bottom line coaches may have opinion or wish to navigate your club choice prior to enrollment. That's their weird control issue. No coach has ever given a spot on a college team based on a clubs league choice. Or taken away an offer based on the league the prospect played in, the club makes those choices not the player.

If they want you, that's all that matters, changing leagues doesn't make anyone more or less desirable.

Comment

Bottom line coaches may have opinion or wish to navigate your club choice prior to enrollment. That's their weird control issue. No coach has ever given a spot on a college team based on a clubs league choice. Or taken away an offer based on the league the prospect played in, the club makes those choices not the player.

If they want you, that's all that matters, changing leagues doesn't make anyone more or less desirable.
                You are correct that no school has made an offer based upon the club's league choice. However, it is true that offers on given assuming players to continue to play at the highest level. In this case the PAC 12 school didn't want to make an offer then have girls plAy in a lower tier league like OYSA

Comment

You are correct that no school has made an offer based upon the club's league choice. However, it is true that offers on given assuming players to continue to play at the highest level. In this case the PAC 12 school didn't want to make an offer then have girls plAy in a lower tier league like OYSA
                  Doesn't matter, no coach will take away an offer or extend an offer due to the league a kid plays in. Example; girls moves from So. Cal to Montana over the Summer of her Junior year.
                  college Coach might be disappointed (selfishly) that she isn't playing in So. Cal anymore, but will still honor her offer.

Comment

Doesn't matter, no coach will take away an offer or extend an offer due to the league a kid plays in. Example; girls moves from So. Cal to Montana over the Summer of her Junior year.
                    college Coach might be disappointed (selfishly) that she isn't playing in So. Cal anymore, but will still honor her offer.
                    Of course there will be reasons why a player can't do ECNL (or in the future GDA). There might not be a club nearby, or that club may be worse than where ever they player is now, can't crack the roster (face it, many rosters are pretty much locked in in U15+) etc. But that doesn't mean the pressure won't be there The coaches definitely want you coming onto their fields as ready as possible to play for them, and that will mean playing in the most competitive league you can whenever they can.

As for the offer part, that can get tricky. Nothing is official until you sign an NLI; it's all verbal until then for both sides. Especially with girls getting recruited so early the coach can find plenty of excuses to back out - few do, but it does happen. A player recruited as a freshman may have not progressed the way a coach thought she would (and maybe that involved what league she was in, or what club she was with, or she just didn't work very hard). Poor grades often get players into trouble also. Then there's the countless players that flop once in college. The drop out rate is pretty high - cuts, drop out, transfers, burn out, decide to focus on school. Playing meaningful soccer all four years isn't easy.

Comment

Of course there will be reasons why a player can't do ECNL (or in the future GDA). There might not be a club nearby, or that club may be worse than where ever they player is now, can't crack the roster (face it, many rosters are pretty much locked in in U15+) etc. But that doesn't mean the pressure won't be there The coaches definitely want you coming onto their fields as ready as possible to play for them, and that will mean playing in the most competitive league you can whenever they can.

As for the offer part, that can get tricky. Nothing is official until you sign an NLI; it's all verbal until then for both sides. Especially with girls getting recruited so early the coach can find plenty of excuses to back out - few do, but it does happen. A player recruited as a freshman may have not progressed the way a coach thought she would (and maybe that involved what league she was in, or what club she was with, or she just didn't work very hard). Poor grades often get players into trouble also. Then there's the countless players that flop once in college. The drop out rate is pretty high - cuts, drop out, transfers, burn out, decide to focus on school. Playing meaningful soccer all four years isn't easy.

In Oregon it's impossible due to club dilution and monetized structure. Great Point.

Comment

Crazy question - many of the camps my player wants to do overlap including two schools she's really interested in. Is it crazy to ask if you can only go one day? So many of these summer ones are filled with lectures and other things she doesn't care about. She just wants to play soccer for a coach and move on. The ones during the year tend to be one day.

Comment

Crazy question - many of the camps my player wants to do overlap including two schools she's really interested in. Is it crazy to ask if you can only go one day? So many of these summer ones are filled with lectures and other things she doesn't care about. She just wants to play soccer for a coach and move on. The ones during the year tend to be one day.
                          Have you rcvd an email that said something like we have seen you play, please contact us and attend our camp? If you rcvd an email like that then that's the one you should attend otherwise you are wasting your time and money

Comment

Have you rcvd an email that said something like we have seen you play, please contact us and attend our camp? If you rcvd an email like that then that's the one you should attend otherwise you are wasting your time and money
                            Both schools she's already been talking with the coaches and they've seen her play once. Like I said they're both multi day and not efficient (nutrition lecture? really?), probably just trying to justify their cost to parents who don't know any better. She's doing two others that thankfully don't overlap. Of the two that overlap one had a one day camp in the fall last year. But if she gets offer from any of the other three sooner she might not be able to wait. The whole timing/making choice thing gets tricky - what a learning curve this has been! She gets tons of other invites that are clearly unsolicited. Once you start getting them and are talking to coaches at the same time it gets much easier to determine the genuine vs the mass invites.

Comment

PAC 12 coach responded the same way when our daughter asked what he thought about her transferring to another local oregon club that was registered in the ECNL. he said 'save your money, we have seen you enough, (that league) is simply a money pit for Oregon families. Bottom line stay where you're at.

It's nice when the coaches are honest with the players and looking out for the financial well being of families.
                              I guess it depends on which school. A PAC 12 coach congratulated my DD when she switched to ECNL. I don't think the bottom line is necessarily... stay where you are at. The bottom line is never put too many eggs into one basket and make sure you are with a club that gets you exposed to multiple schools multiple times (thus avoiding the cost/need of attending tons of ID camps). I can't believe someone would give the advice of "bottom line stay where you are at." Each kid is different and each club offers something different. Oregon soccer is like a labyrinth. Such bad advice.

Comment

I guess it depends on which school. A PAC 12 coach congratulated my DD when she switched to ECNL. I don't think the bottom line is necessarily... stay where you are at. The bottom line is never put too many eggs into one basket and make sure you are with a club that gets you exposed to multiple schools multiple times (thus avoiding the cost/need of attending tons of ID camps). I can't believe someone would give the advice of "bottom line stay where you are at." Each kid is different and each club offers something different. Oregon soccer is like a labyrinth. Such bad advice.
                                No college coach in the PAC 12 has ever congratulated a kid for making a crossfire united or FC pdx club team. Unless of course they weren't recruiting them and they knew that playing for any club team was an accomplishment and in that case they were just being polite Thanks for the laugh.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X