• Show
Clear All

Larry's past life:

http://www.radiodiscussions.com/show...-Miller-update

Comment

"Retired" in 1983???

"Larry Miller
      WKTU [New York NY] 1976-1979
      Now: Larry says (7/14), "I retired from radio in 1983 ... got involved with computers and a BBS which morphed into the Internet where I have two very successful Web sites."
      larry@backofthenet.com"

http://talking-soccer.com/TS4/newrep...te=1&p=1879984

Comment

It seems Larry has always been a psycho:

http://grubstreet.ca/articles/index/...-matt-seinberg

GS What was your first job, in radio, after college?

MS That was at WWHB-FM, in Hampton Bay, New York. I can’t forget that job, and not only because it was my first radio job. I had flashbacks, nightmares, for years, afterwards.

In 1981, a friend, from college, Dennis Falcone, was working on WRIV-FM, in Riverhead, New York. Dennis tells me he heard about an opening at WWHB-FM. I’m all ears and ready to jock.

Larry Miller, the PD, of WWHB-FM, needed on-air help. I sent him my audition or demo tape. “Demo” because the tape or digital file, today, shows what you can do, on air. Miller calls to say, “I’d like to meet you.”

Great, I thought the road to stardom begins on WWHB-FM. I drove east, from Plainview, on Long Island, where I lived, to Hampton Bays. The WWHB-FM studios were on the edge of a ritzy part of Long Island, in the Hamptons, near Sag Harbor, on the way to Montauk. You can smell the money.

I meet Miller. He says, “Let’s go.” We jump in his Jeep, heading out, I thought, to tour the coverage area. The entire interview consisted of us driving randomly around Hampton Bay, smoking pot.

GS Did you get the job?

MS I got the job.

GS You were ready for the glamour of radio.

MS Yeah, the job was important, but hardly glamorous. I filled out the commercial logs, Monday through Friday. Logging commercials, by hand, juggling advertisers and keeping competitors a fair distance apart is tricky. Thank gawd computers do it, today. Gawd bless those who could do it by hand, and not lose their minds.

Weekends, I was on air.

GS Seven days a week is much work.

MS I figured it this way. Miller worked New York City, the top radio market in the USA. He was PD WKTU-FM and WQIV-FM. He worked alongside the best. Many of the best worked for him. I smugly thought, “I’m going to learn something, at WWHB-FM.”

Was I surprised? Miller didn’t help me learn anything. I learned nothing because of Miller, not anything. He gave me a job, yes, but afterwards, I was on my own.

It was disappointing. I was starting out. I was wondering what I was going to do. I never logged a spot. Where should I start? It was difficult, to say the least.

GS How did WWHB-FM work out for you?

MS I did the best I could. What did I know? I stumbled through the on and off-air work.

Miller offered no direction, but didn’t think my effort good enough. I liked the job. I liked living in Hampton Bays. The station was in a shopping centre, a strip mall, on Montauk Highway.

I saw all the action during the day. At night, Hampton Bays is empty. It was and is the same as any tourist town.

The kicker came on my second day in the job. Two events happened at once. Looking back, I don’t know how I got through.

First, I screwed up the log. I forgot to put in some spots, that is, commercials. “Insert the spots,” someone barked, “right away.”

Second, the overnight jock hurt his back and took health leave. Miller says, “You’re doing overnights, too.” Yes, I want on-air, but not working 19 hours a day.

I’m working a hectic 9-to-5. I leave the station only to come back for 11 pm. This made for a long day and night.

GS Could you at least sleep for four or five hours?

MS I’m not a daytime sleeper, never have been, and it was doubly rough. I had a room, in a house, in nearby Riverhead. The room had two or three windows. It was bright, lovely if you’re on vacation. I had no way to darken it, during the day or evening.

A few days into my on-air career, with no sleep, I’m winging overnights, DJing from moment to moment. Thursday, of my second week, I miss the 6 am newscast by a minute or so. Miller comes in and says, “If you miss the newscast, again, play music to fill the time.” I say, “Fine no problem.”

The next day, Friday, it happens again. I miss the newscast by a minute. WWHB-FM news was a feed from the ABC Radio Network. I to time it to the second: a moment late and WWHB-FM joined the newscast in progress.

As I’m about to switch, to the ABC newscast, in progress, Miller bursts in to the studio. He sweeps everything off the counter and says, “I’m tired of this ****. You’re fired,” he says, in full Donald Trump style. “Send me your W-2 and I’ll pay you!”

GS Not a good way to treat employees.

MS He stunned me. I was speechless, to say the least. No one had ever spoken to me this way. There was no reason for him to act as he did.

I didn’t know what to say. I wasn’t going to beg for my job. It was ridiculous.

This happened at 6 am. I left the station. I called my mother. She was still living in Plainview. I said, “I’m coming home.” She said, “What?” I said, “I’m coming home. I’ll see you sometime on Sunday and I’ll tell you the whole story.”

I go back to my room, to get some sleep. Around 10 am, the sun is bright and sleep is impossible. I wander to the beach. I walk past a payphone, go back to it and call the boss from my last job.

My old job was in the main office of Cohen Fashion Optical, in Flushing, a suburb of New York City. I ask if I can have my job back, “The radio job didn’t work out.”

My former boss says, sure. “The guy we hired, to replace you, stinks. We’re firing him. Yes, we want you back.”

GS What luck you had.

MS That’s for sure, but I’m kicking myself all the way back to Plainview for not asking for more money. When I get back home, my mother tells me, “You’ve got six months,” six months to go back out on my own; that six months lasted two years. Anyway, that was my two-week radio job at WWHB-FM, in Hampton Bays, under a crazy and maniacal Larry Miller.

Comment

Today's gem:

"3- Surf will continue to build their club on their terms and their timetable."

Translation:

-No girls DOC announced soon
          -Sue Ryan may be off the table as the girls DOC (trouble in paradise?)
          -NY Surf isn't getting the GDA

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
            Today's gem:

"3- Surf will continue to build their club on their terms and their timetable."

Translation:

-No girls DOC announced soon
            -Sue Ryan may be off the table as the girls DOC (trouble in paradise?)
            -NY Surf isn't getting the GDA
            You forgot ...

- We really haven't been planning for 18 months. We are making this up as we go along
            - I over promised and under delivered.

Comment

You forgot ...

- We really haven't been planning for 18 months. We are making this up as we go along
              I believe that they have been planning Westchester for 18 months. But the expansion to NYC/Long Island was a last minute clusterfckkkkksc

Comment

It sounds like they cobbled things together for the GDA application and thought little of soccer itself and its logistics.

Comment

It sounds like they cobbled things together for the GDA application and thought little of soccer itself and its logistics.
                  And completely underestimated the complexities of trying to start a club in this area.

Comment

You forgot ...

You forgot...

- Larry Miller's our bit**

Comment

It seems Larry has always been a psycho:

http://grubstreet.ca/articles/index/...-matt-seinberg

GS What was your first job, in radio, after college?

MS That was at WWHB-FM, in Hampton Bay, New York. I can’t forget that job, and not only because it was my first radio job. I had flashbacks, nightmares, for years, afterwards.

In 1981, a friend, from college, Dennis Falcone, was working on WRIV-FM, in Riverhead, New York. Dennis tells me he heard about an opening at WWHB-FM. I’m all ears and ready to jock.

Larry Miller, the PD, of WWHB-FM, needed on-air help. I sent him my audition or demo tape. “Demo” because the tape or digital file, today, shows what you can do, on air. Miller calls to say, “I’d like to meet you.”

Great, I thought the road to stardom begins on WWHB-FM. I drove east, from Plainview, on Long Island, where I lived, to Hampton Bays. The WWHB-FM studios were on the edge of a ritzy part of Long Island, in the Hamptons, near Sag Harbor, on the way to Montauk. You can smell the money.

I meet Miller. He says, “Let’s go.” We jump in his Jeep, heading out, I thought, to tour the coverage area. The entire interview consisted of us driving randomly around Hampton Bay, smoking pot.

GS Did you get the job?

MS I got the job.

GS You were ready for the glamour of radio.

MS Yeah, the job was important, but hardly glamorous. I filled out the commercial logs, Monday through Friday. Logging commercials, by hand, juggling advertisers and keeping competitors a fair distance apart is tricky. Thank gawd computers do it, today. Gawd bless those who could do it by hand, and not lose their minds.

Weekends, I was on air.

GS Seven days a week is much work.

MS I figured it this way. Miller worked New York City, the top radio market in the USA. He was PD WKTU-FM and WQIV-FM. He worked alongside the best. Many of the best worked for him. I smugly thought, “I’m going to learn something, at WWHB-FM.”

Was I surprised? Miller didn’t help me learn anything. I learned nothing because of Miller, not anything. He gave me a job, yes, but afterwards, I was on my own.

It was disappointing. I was starting out. I was wondering what I was going to do. I never logged a spot. Where should I start? It was difficult, to say the least.

GS How did WWHB-FM work out for you?

MS I did the best I could. What did I know? I stumbled through the on and off-air work.

Miller offered no direction, but didn’t think my effort good enough. I liked the job. I liked living in Hampton Bays. The station was in a shopping centre, a strip mall, on Montauk Highway.

I saw all the action during the day. At night, Hampton Bays is empty. It was and is the same as any tourist town.

The kicker came on my second day in the job. Two events happened at once. Looking back, I don’t know how I got through.

First, I screwed up the log. I forgot to put in some spots, that is, commercials. “Insert the spots,” someone barked, “right away.”

Second, the overnight jock hurt his back and took health leave. Miller says, “You’re doing overnights, too.” Yes, I want on-air, but not working 19 hours a day.

I’m working a hectic 9-to-5. I leave the station only to come back for 11 pm. This made for a long day and night.

GS Could you at least sleep for four or five hours?

MS I’m not a daytime sleeper, never have been, and it was doubly rough. I had a room, in a house, in nearby Riverhead. The room had two or three windows. It was bright, lovely if you’re on vacation. I had no way to darken it, during the day or evening.

A few days into my on-air career, with no sleep, I’m winging overnights, DJing from moment to moment. Thursday, of my second week, I miss the 6 am newscast by a minute or so. Miller comes in and says, “If you miss the newscast, again, play music to fill the time.” I say, “Fine no problem.”

The next day, Friday, it happens again. I miss the newscast by a minute. WWHB-FM news was a feed from the ABC Radio Network. I to time it to the second: a moment late and WWHB-FM joined the newscast in progress.

As I’m about to switch, to the ABC newscast, in progress, Miller bursts in to the studio. He sweeps everything off the counter and says, “I’m tired of this ****. You’re fired,” he says, in full Donald Trump style. “Send me your W-2 and I’ll pay you!”

GS Not a good way to treat employees.

MS He stunned me. I was speechless, to say the least. No one had ever spoken to me this way. There was no reason for him to act as he did.

I didn’t know what to say. I wasn’t going to beg for my job. It was ridiculous.

This happened at 6 am. I left the station. I called my mother. She was still living in Plainview. I said, “I’m coming home.” She said, “What?” I said, “I’m coming home. I’ll see you sometime on Sunday and I’ll tell you the whole story.”

I go back to my room, to get some sleep. Around 10 am, the sun is bright and sleep is impossible. I wander to the beach. I walk past a payphone, go back to it and call the boss from my last job.

My old job was in the main office of Cohen Fashion Optical, in Flushing, a suburb of New York City. I ask if I can have my job back, “The radio job didn’t work out.”

My former boss says, sure. “The guy we hired, to replace you, stinks. We’re firing him. Yes, we want you back.”

GS What luck you had.

MS That’s for sure, but I’m kicking myself all the way back to Plainview for not asking for more money. When I get back home, my mother tells me, “You’ve got six months,” six months to go back out on my own; that six months lasted two years. Anyway, that was my two-week radio job at WWHB-FM, in Hampton Bays, under a crazy and maniacal Larry Miller.
                      This is awesome. Program directors can be sleazy. It explains a lot.

I think Larry needs to smoke more and monitor less. He would be a happier person.

Comment

Matt put his trust in Larry. Larry told him I can get you feeder clubs and blah, blah, blah. Yeah that turned out good.

Comment

Today's Gem:

"That's why BOTN calls him Slick, and why the GDA needs to be questioned. Slick sure fooled US Soccer big time. Too comical."

Sounds like Larry is pissed. Think he realizes he's a fool? And now his business may go south after touting NY Surf since April?

"Trust me. I'm Larry. I'm the soccer god. I know everything."

Man up Larry. We've got some crow over here for you to eat.

Comment

Today's Gem:

"That's why BOTN calls him Slick, and why the GDA needs to be questioned. Slick sure fooled US Soccer big time. Too comical."

Sounds like Larry is pissed. Think he realizes he's a fool? And now his business may go south after touting NY Surf since April?

"Trust me. I'm Larry. I'm the soccer god. I know everything."

Man up Larry. We've got some crow over here for you to eat.
                            Karma Larry ... KARMA

Comment

Larry has to be anti-ECNL. I posted on BNOT to correct a poster and indicate WC is a GDA (in 2nd announcement) and he didn't post it.

I also bet he is not allowing any posts under the Surf thread.

D-bag.

Comment

Larry still pushing Surf's quality and long term plans, claiming Surf not getting it is political (nothing to do with being brand new and never playing one game) -

Poster: Hey new Surfers. Lesson 1. Don't fall for the BS. Great organization that will be fine going forward but to all who jumped at '02 and above you are a bunch of Suckers! GDA .. Not!

Larry: Reading the comments from so many and seeing how Slick and Tab Ramos, and who knows how many others from other parts of the country got in, including EMSC, maybe it's better that Surf did not get annointed.

Now, not getting GDA changes nothing at Surf....they still have the superior college coaching lineup you're aware of and I hope to get the green light to tell you else is on board.

Bottomline...GDA or no GDA, no club has the quality of coaches or coaching and training assets that Surf possesses.

Do not ignore the fact that training and practicing and being coached by Surf is always a college showcase.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X