X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2098649]
    Originally posted by Unregistered View Post

I just dont buy this argument at all. Nationally, the majority of current YNT players that my daughter knows with viable GDA options are playing in the GDA. I understand that this is a Mass chat, but I assumed the GDA /ECNL conversation was a national one.

I go back to my earlier question. a league with the 1-3s and 12+ vs 4-12 . Which is stronger? You dont need to see graduation cycles to make that determination.

This is not a commitment issue. Players have to come form somewhere. I dont give the ECNL credit for simply farming players. You have to look at the impact the farming has had on the quality of our youth players relative to before. One measure would be US performance in youth WCs . Another would be the average age/ number of ECNL players making the Full NT and HOW they play.

Our youth performances have not been good. Player progression has been ok, but some of it looks more political than practical. On performance alone neither Pugh nor Horan look like any more than squad players.

In my opinion, the GDA will have more of the current YNT players than some believe. The next layer down who want to play HS and are well advanced may well stay with ECNL.

The judgement on the GDA success will not be how it does vs ECNL, but the players it produces over the next 5 years, something which very few here will be directly impacted by.
    You are ****ing dreaming, drunk on kool-aid, or both, if you think in 5 years you'll see a noticeable, much less measurable, improvement in the USWNT talent pool...and I think your assessment of the recent history was spot on.

I'm also skeptical we'll see any longer-term benefit to the soccer cultural from DA. So besides DA not changing the development trajectory (magically turning a non-NT prospect into a NT prospect, or elevating an already NT-caliber prospect) of anyone playing in the GDA inaugural season, I don't think a crop of kids not yet old enough will come along and be seen as the next 99ers.

For what it's worth, I think US Soccer didn't have nearly the problem at the elite end of the spectrum, despite the attention and disruption there, as with the grassroots end, with what I think it insufficient attention and investment. In 7 or 8 years, as they always do, US Soccer will come out with a new powerpoint explaining how the soccer balls need to be brighter colors and the kids need video analysis or some other bull**** to explain why the rest of the world is growing their women's game and the competitive balance erodes further.

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2098982]

You are ****ing dreaming, drunk on kool-aid, or both, if you think in 5 years you'll see a noticeable, much less measurable, improvement in the USWNT talent pool...and I think your assessment of the recent history was spot on.

I'm also skeptical we'll see any longer-term benefit to the soccer cultural from DA. So besides DA not changing the development trajectory (magically turning a non-NT prospect into a NT prospect, or elevating an already NT-caliber prospect) of anyone playing in the GDA inaugural season, I don't think a crop of kids not yet old enough will come along and be seen as the next 99ers.

For what it's worth, I think US Soccer didn't have nearly the problem at the elite end of the spectrum, despite the attention and disruption there, as with the grassroots end, with what I think it insufficient attention and investment. In 7 or 8 years, as they always do, US Soccer will come out with a new powerpoint explaining how the soccer balls need to be brighter colors and the kids need video analysis or some other bull**** to explain why the rest of the world is growing their women's game and the competitive balance erodes further.
      I agree. Ten years into DA and there's not much to show for it. If it had accomplished more I might have more faith. But GDA has less going for it than DA does - no pro team support, no meaningful pro path for women, different focus for women (college), almost all costly pay to play. I think your 7-8 years is optimistic. In 5 years or less they will come out with a new shiny object.

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2098982]

I dont think cultural change will happen, so no - I said you can judge in 5yrs, not it will change. The US women have won thru volume and will continue to be successful thru volume, but that elusive quality the seek is not only found in $$ spent. Special players are formed in cultures, not factories

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2099061]

I dont think cultural change will happen, so no - I said you can judge in 5yrs, not it will change. The US women have won thru volume and will continue to be successful thru volume, but that elusive quality the seek is not only found in $$ spent. Special players are formed in cultures, not factories
          Boys DA gets more and more robotic each year. Not all of course, but they stifle creativity.

Comment

Girls are being invested it in within US because the NT has a fighting chance in the international market. Professional soccer in US is a joke. Boys can keep trying but it's more about culture. Soccer isn't in the blood of most US kids or adults. Football, basketball, baseball and hockey will always reign in comparison. It's where the money is. Follow the money and you will see the talent.

Comment

If the PDA rosters are any indicator, almost all the better kids are playing GDA from Seniors on down.

Comment

If the PDA rosters are any indicator, almost all the better kids are playing GDA from Seniors on down.
                And you would know about the quality of players on multiple teams a few states away because....?

PDA is it's own separate beast. It is not representative of many of the clubs in GDA.

Comment

If the PDA rosters are any indicator...
                  Yeah, no. Thanks though.

Comment

And you would know about the quality of players on multiple teams a few states away because....?

PDA is it's own separate beast. It is not representative of many of the clubs in GDA.
                    Can you read? it says ..IF PDA rosters are any indicator. Does not say, I KNOW that ... Your very defensive response suggests you are scared it may be true.

Please explain to the unenlightened like me how PDA is a separate beast.

Comment

Because we have played against them for oh 5 years or so across multiple age groups. Its really not that hard to know if you have more than one child is it.

Comment

Girls are being invested it in within US because the NT has a fighting chance in the international market. Professional soccer in US is a joke. Boys can keep trying but it's more about culture. Soccer isn't in the blood of most US kids or adults. Football, basketball, baseball and hockey will always reign in comparison. It's where the money is. Follow the money and you will see the talent.
                        The culture is getting there. Had a conversation with a high school senior the other day at the soccer field where he and his friends were juggling and having fun with a soccer ball. My kids were there for the same reason. Talked about Bayern Munich and soccer in general. He thought it was great to be able to have a real conversation about soccer with a random stranger. Took the kids and dog to a local dog park and we ran into another family who plays for the same club as my kids. Kids started playing pick up soccer while the dogs ran around and the parents chatted about the club, soccer, school, etc.

We record and watch EPL, La Liga, Bundisleague, MLS and national team games all the time. Probably watch 5-6 matches a week with the kids, friends, etc. My kids only want to play soccer and are more interested in the meeting Revs players than Pats/Celtics/Bruins/Red Sox. Many of their friends are the same.

We've made a ton of progress and many of our best domestic players go abroad now as there is more money and opportunity, but eventually they come back to the domestic league, where pay gets better every year. We fix the transfer payment system in this country and you will see soccer explode here.

Comment

majority of the top kids from stars are playing ECNL

Comment

Really. I wonder how the USSF feel about the YNT pool players doing ECNL.

Comment

Totally true. This seems to be Stars just getting their foot in the door and keeping it there while things shake out. It won't be pretty if their DA teams are getting pounded by clubs that actually put their top teams in DA.

Comment

Its ironic that if that is the case. For years people spoke about Breakers adn how they could not be called elite because of the competition they faced. Judging by what i see in the NE, FC Stars could be facing the same thing.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X