Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Come on. It's women's soccer. It has it's moments but is boring compared to the men's side. That is why there is no money.
    True they can't afford the actors or the "DIVEs"

Comment

True they can't afford the actors or the "DIVEs"
      Drama sells.

Comment

Come on. It's women's soccer. It has it's moments but is boring compared to the men's side. That is why there is no money.
        There are many, many other things I'd rather watch on TV than women's soccer - outside the WC and Olympics. It's going to be tough for them to build a market for it. No one watches the WNBA. I'm a big basketball fan and have never watched a game. If men aren't going to watch then who? Grown women have less free time to watch sports and generally aren't big sports watchers anyway. What time they have will also go to the top sports.

Comment

There are many, many other things I'd rather watch on TV than women's soccer - outside the WC and Olympics. It's going to be tough for them to build a market for it. No one watches the WNBA. I'm a big basketball fan and have never watched a game. If men aren't going to watch then who? Grown women have less free time to watch sports and generally aren't big sports watchers anyway. What time they have will also go to the top sports.
          Even die-hard women sports fans admit that watching the sport (soccer, basketball, etc) is boring. WC and Olympics are exceptions. The national spirit behind those games is huge and makes them exciting. But going to watch NC Courage play against FC Kansas City. Or their counterpart lezbos in the WNBA? Ugh.

Comment

No. It's only for what, 100 girls in total? So a few more families come to a game or two. Not a big bump to the bottom line vs what it costs to run it. No one outside of DA families would care about girls playing for free.
            Disagree. the clinics, camps etc. run by the mls clubs solidify future fans for the cub. They can hold out selection to their top youth teams as carrots to attracts many young players to participate in all their offerings.

Comment

Even die-hard women sports fans admit that watching the sport (soccer, basketball, etc) is boring. WC and Olympics are exceptions. The national spirit behind those games is huge and makes them exciting. But going to watch NC Courage play against FC Kansas City. Or their counterpart in the WNBA? Ugh.
              No need to disparage people so I fixed it for you.

Despite being a former D1 athlete herself my wife watches very little sports, let alone women's sports, not even the one she played lol.

Comment

Disagree. the clinics, camps etc. run by the mls clubs solidify future fans for the cub. They can hold out selection to their top youth teams as carrots to attracts many young players to participate in all their offerings.
                MLS clubs run camps and RDS programs to help pay for their DA teams. If they get some fans out of it in the process, great but the players (Parents) are what help pay the bills. MLS clubs spend a great deal of money on DA - especially the better ones. Bringing in a few more fans doesn't begin to cover it. Below is spending by clubs from a survey done last year

http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/the91...eir-academies/

9. New England Revolution: $1 million
                t8. D.C. United: $1.5 million
                t8. Montreal Impact: $1.5 million
                6. Chicago Fire: $1.75 million
                5. Columbus Crew: $2.5 million
                t4. FC Dallas: $3 million
                t4. Portland Timbers: $3 million
                t1. LA Galaxy: $4 million
                t1. Philadelphia Union: $4 million

Comment

Yes, you are right. But it's Marta! She's worth at least $100,000.
                  Not to an NWSL team. You can't be this dense.

Comment

No need to disparage people so I fixed it for you.

Despite being a former D1 athlete herself my wife watches very little sports, let alone women's sports, not even the one she played lol.
                    I got ya. Read between the lines. Barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen. Too busy to watch sports. Nice job.

Comment

I got ya. Read between the lines. Barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen. Too busy to watch sports. Nice job.
                      Oh you are hysterical! No she enjoys her life doing things other than watching mindless TV

Comment

Not to an NWSL team. You can't be this dense.
                        Not dense at all. But thank you for your dense response.

Comment

In my family's case this back fired. OCYS left such a bad taste in our mouth for many reasons, boys and girls sides, that we will not do anything with the MLS team or NWLS team. I hope they lose. My favorite put off was being pressured to sell Pride tickets and having special training setup that is really ticket promotion where they have a tent setup and tell the kids at each break to make sure your parents check out the ticket packages. The youth club main purpose is marketing the brand not teaching kids to be better athletes/persons/soccer players. I think to be on DA/GDA it significantly helped if your family had season tickets. I feel bad for the girls that were told they were GDA and then didn't make the team and got placed on ECNL. I would have left, but that is me. Club loyalty is a one way street at OC. Yum, yum, cool aid. Yum, yum, cool aid. Dum, dum, fool made.

Comment

In my family's case this back fired. OCYS left such a bad taste in our mouth for many reasons, boys and girls sides, that we will not do anything with the MLS team or NWLS team. I hope they lose. My favorite put off was being pressured to sell Pride tickets and having special training setup that is really ticket promotion where they have a tent setup and tell the kids at each break to make sure your parents check out the ticket packages. The youth club main purpose is marketing the brand not teaching kids to be better athletes/persons/soccer players. I think to be on DA/GDA it significantly helped if your family had season tickets. I feel bad for the girls that were told they were GDA and then didn't make the team and got placed on ECNL. I would have left, but that is me. Club loyalty is a one way street at OC. Yum, yum, cool aid. Yum, yum, cool aid. Dum, dum, fool made.

Pity that happened to your family. Maybe non MLS DA programs have some hidden benefits then.

Comment

Pity that happened to your family. Maybe non MLS DA programs have some hidden benefits then.
                              Not hidden. Better run. Better coached. People that care. Opposite of MLS money system so far.

Comment

They are shady like that. It also helped if you had "the look" they wanted. And that also means "the size" they desired.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X