X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The real numbers

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    130 games a season, probably overkill but 30 games a season like many clubs is definitely not enough. The younger the kid the more games they should be playing. If U19 is playing 40, U17 should be about 45, U15 50, U13 55, U11 60.
    Here is what we need to follow: Practice to game ration MUCH more important than just games

Age Group Frequency Duration Ratio
    U-6 1 day per week 45 minutes 1:1*
    U-8 1 day per week 45 to 60 minutes 1:1
    U-10 2 days per week 60 to 75 minutes 2:1
    U-12 2 to 3 days per week 75 minutes 2 or 3:1
    U-14 3 days per week 75 to 90 minutes 3:1
    U-16 3 days per week 90 minutes 3 or 4:1
    U-18+ 4 to 5 days per week 90 to 120 minutes 4 or 5:1

Comment

130 games a season, probably overkill but 30 games a season like many clubs is definitely not enough. The younger the kid the more games they should be playing. If U19 is playing 40, U17 should be about 45, U15 50, U13 55, U11 60.
      Your a complete idiot!!! 30 games is the standard at youth levels all over the world. Your a moron!

Comment

30 games the standard. That was funny. Keep believing that. The world is flat too.

Comment

Just got the roster for my 12 year old.

19 players. Not particularly pleased, seems like too many.

What is an ideal sized roster at that age moving to 11 v 11?
          If it is a girls team, expect an ACL injury. If you start a season with 18 girls, expect two with injuries, and there is always an ACL situation.

Comment

Just before the ecnl got rolling my daughter played for a u14 team that was put together to try and win a usysa national championship starting really at u15 and up, but the team came together at u14. It was basically combining kids from 3 big clubs. The team was a full time job for the girls that year, and, in the end, it never got going as ECNL kicked in causing the team to split up by u16. They rostered 18.

A couple dads and I decided to count up the games they played that u14 year while we were sitting around at a bar at some other tournament a couple of years later. We counted up 86. There were league games, state cup games, and lots and lots of tournament games as the team always made the finals of tournaments they entered. They did not always win, but they were in every final which typically meant they played 5 games over 3 days.

In retrospect we were blessed as I only recall 1 major injury - a broken ankle early in the Fall and the girl came back to play late Spring. We did not know better at the time but that was obviously pure luck. And, of course, there were tons of minor injuries that kept girls out for a game or two. One tournament final was particularly "fun" as injuries meant that the final game was played with only 9 girls on the field, and that included a girl who had an ankle sprain but could sub as keeper so that the regular keeper could play in the field.

Over the years (u9 through 4 years of college) my daughter managed to avoid a major injury, but I have seen at least a dozen girls blow a ligament and another dozen or so go down with some other major injury (broken bone, etc. . . ) - and I am just a dad watching.
            I went to most games, but far from all.

In the end I think the long kept injury statistics maintained by the NCAA hold up pretty well. Basically, the ncaa medical staffs maintain records of injury types and have done so for decades. They also keep records of "events" - meaning games and practices so you can calculate injury rates by events. For womens soccer (keeping in mind these are college figures) you basically get 1 season ending injury per 20 kids each year on average. So, on average, every team will lose a player to a major injury each year.

Comment

Just got the roster for my 12 year old.

19 players. Not particularly pleased, seems like too many.

What is an ideal sized roster at that age moving to 11 v 11?
              Are they all full time players?

Comment

30 games the standard. That was funny. Keep believing that. The world is flat too.
                30 league games, maybe. Add in tournments, in house games, state cups, etc and you get over 50 in a hurry.

Comment

19 perfect size during covid

you can roster 18 and if you have a few kids get sick and need to quarantine you will be set. You have to remember that during covid it's better to have a bigger team.

Comment

19 perfect size during covid
                    Tell this to a kid who won't be allowed even sitting on the bench with the players as max roster is 18 players. And, his parents who will be driving this kid to practices and not seeing him during the game.
                    18 players is sufficient enough in the cases of injuries or illnesses.
                    And even with 18 players on the roster someone will be seeing only very few minutes during the game.

Comment

If it is a girls team, expect an ACL injury. If you start a season with 18 girls, expect two with injuries, and there is always an ACL situation.
                      Not at 12 years old you dolt.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                      Auto-Saved
                      x
                      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                      x
                      Working...
                      X