19 players on U13 team

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's a good amount given the current situation. Injuries aside you are for sure going to have COVID exposed players out for 14 days at time this season.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Just got the roster for my 12 year old.

19 players. Not particularly pleased, seems like too many.

What is an ideal sized roster at that age moving to 11 v 11?

Comment

Well the mls clubs like intermiami have around 25- 26 to a roster.
      Inter miami LOL what a name

Comment

its fine if you have games on sat, sunday and lots of tournaments lined up. practice will pay off as well with 2 goal keepers. there will be injury's sickness kids moving away. little easier to go away on vacation also.

Comment

Except MLS teams pay their players, in your situation, money is moving in the opposite direction. So to drop $400 on just one weekend trip to ATL and the coach is going to sing that MLS tune as he sits your kid and cashes your check...remind the coach that he's not an MLS coach, and this is pay to play, and you're not paying if he/or she isn't playing.

I think your confused ..I am speaking of the mls youth academy intermiami. Not the professional mls team

Comment

16 with 2 keepers and your team playing 2 leagues and tournaments every weekend you are not playing. Game time experience is so important and if you are not getting it at 12 then play somewhere else. Also, depends on what leagues and the substitution rules. They get more restrictive in the better leagues and the older she gets. Tournaments usually have less restrictions on substitutions.

Comment

its fine if you have games on sat, sunday and lots of tournaments lined up. practice will pay off as well with 2 goal keepers. there will be injury's sickness kids moving away. little easier to go away on vacation also.
              Likely only going to be tournaments this fall so 19 players for multi game weekends kinda makes sense

Comment

I agree 19 for U13 is a crime. Just think under ideal circumstances the starting 10 play 45 mins and the 8 bench get 15 per game, not good. At that age 14-15 players are more than enough. Game time experience is the most important at that age. If they wanted to watch, plenty of good matches are available on TV.

Comment

Look, it just depends on the coach. If mommy and daddy are overly worried about playing time then in their mind it won't be a good situation. If mommy and daddy could see the forest from the trees and understood sessions, and being able to set up game like situations they would understand how that is better for their kids development long term, but it's totally un-American to look at anything long term. It's all about what's best for me and my ego right now.

Comment

Look, it just depends on the coach. If mommy and daddy are overly worried about playing time then in their mind it won't be a good situation. If mommy and daddy could see the forest from the trees and understood sessions, and being able to set up game like situations they would understand how that is better for their kids development long term, but it's totally un-American to look at anything long term. It's all about what's best for me and my ego right now.
                    Your an idiot if you think a player gets equal experience playing “game like” situations in practice against the same kids day in and day out. Playing against different teams who don’t know what your going to do next, and you don’t know what they are going to do real time with no breaks is not the same experience. No even close. Knowledge is gained through instruction and real time experience.

Comment

$ for the club directors..easier to shuffle kids around later. Directors will promote kids later while the coach will be responsibility to development more kids with less pay. It will become a political nightmare and a sh it show.

Comment

I'm going to approach this from two different angles. Ideally 15 players with one keeper or 16 with 2. at U13 it should still be somewhat close to equal playing time over the period of the season for every player. You are paying for development and if a coach is picking winners and only electing to further develop early bloomers then find a different club. yes it should be competitive and you play your subs against other teams subs. play your subs more against weaker teams, starters more time against the stronger teams.
                        19 is a money grab. but it is mostly due to the parents needing their kid to make the top team. when you have a player that is on the cusp and he is player number 17 on the depth chart, if you send them to the b team the parents take him to a different club where he makes the A team. That is a customer lost to your club.
                        It is a business and anyone who thinks differently is a fool. Businesses need to compete for customers and $$. the difference in the coffers between 15 players vs 18 in every age group on every gender and each level adds up to the bottom line. As kids get older rosters get bigger. Our team usually starts with a roster of 20 and by end of season we are playing games with no subs.
                        If you are in a club at u13 and they're only playing players for 5-10 mins per half , leave the club. I have seen too many times where late bloomers end up being the best U17 player if they were developed properly at the young ages and the U13 "next Messi" fizzles out and doesn't even play soccer at U17.

Comment

I'm going to approach this from two different angles. Ideally 15 players with one keeper or 16 with 2. at U13 it should still be somewhat close to equal playing time over the period of the season for every player. You are paying for development and if a coach is picking winners and only electing to further develop early bloomers then find a different club. yes it should be competitive and you play your subs against other teams subs. play your subs more against weaker teams, starters more time against the stronger teams.
                          19 is a money grab. but it is mostly due to the parents needing their kid to make the top team. when you have a player that is on the cusp and he is player number 17 on the depth chart, if you send them to the b team the parents take him to a different club where he makes the A team. That is a customer lost to your club.
                          It is a business and anyone who thinks differently is a fool. Businesses need to compete for customers and $$. the difference in the coffers between 15 players vs 18 in every age group on every gender and each level adds up to the bottom line. As kids get older rosters get bigger. Our team usually starts with a roster of 20 and by end of season we are playing games with no subs.
                          If you are in a club at u13 and they're only playing players for 5-10 mins per half , leave the club. I have seen too many times where late bloomers end up being the best U17 player if they were developed properly at the young ages and the U13 "next Messi" fizzles out and doesn't even play soccer at U17.
                          This is correct

Comment

Your an idiot if you think a player gets equal experience playing “game like” situations in practice against the same kids day in and day out. Playing against different teams who don’t know what your going to do next, and you don’t know what they are going to do real time with no breaks is not the same experience. No even close. Knowledge is gained through instruction and real time experience.
                            If the coach is good, it will be a better experience then playing on the weekend and having you inching your chair as close to the sideline as possible and screaming nonsensical bull***** at the top of your lungs because you think you're helping. You aren't. STFU, drop your kid off, go hang out at starbucks, and come back and pick him or her up. You'll be doing your kid, the team, and the coach a huge favor.

Comment

OP here- I reached out to the coach to discuss his philosophy on handling such a large number of players. As more background, this is a pretty high level team. He was candid that the primary goal this year is to win games. There is no guaranteed playing time for players. And as a previous poster suspected, some players will be given the opportunity to contribute to the lower team for game experience when needed.

Comment

Pay to play

I think your confused ..I am speaking of the mls youth academy intermiami. Not the professional mls team
                                No. I'm not confused. That's still pay to play. You can call it whatever you like. InterMiami MLS youth (U13-U17) isn't coaching your kid for free? You're paying, just like everyone else.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X