X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

19 players on U13 team

Just got the roster for my 12 year old.

19 players. Not particularly pleased, seems like too many.

What is an ideal sized roster at that age moving to 11 v 11?

If there are two full time goal keepers that seems fine.

Comment

It's a bit heavy, but if it's a team where some kids aren't super committed and won't always be then it should be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post

For me it would come down to the league they're in. If top league, suck it up, you don't want to be out of that. You may never get back in. Those kids will only get better.

If middling league, it'll be about playing time. If not a lot available, move onto another option if and only if the training at the other option is better.

Comment

If you ask me for what the ideal number is, I'd say 15-16 with 1 keeper or plus one more with 2 keepers. That's ideal, but 19 with 2 keepers I think is acceptable if you are playing a rigorous schedule. As the season moves on, there will likely be sickness, injury and travel that come into play.

For a team that also has players doing high school soccer I'd want 17-18 minimum going into the season. HS Soccer yields so many conflicts and injuries.

Comment

Most events only allow for 18 on roster.

Comment

some of those kids may be rostered but splitting time on a lower level team as well. My kid's team has 19 as well but I know there's a few kids who were already told PT on the top team will be limited and they will probably play the majority of their games with the second team but practice mostly with top team. Not what i'd consider ideal but just to say its not as clear cut as it may seem.

Comment

some of those kids may be rostered but splitting time on a lower level team as well. My kid's team has 19 as well but I know there's a few kids who were already told PT on the top team will be limited and they will probably play the majority of their games with the second team but practice mostly with top team. Not what i'd consider ideal but just to say its not as clear cut as it may seem.
                Typical bee ess coach/doc response - splitting time with b team - sure , what about the kids on the b team? The b team players train all week and then the coach will send down A team players to take spots , it just doesn’t work

This only works if everything was free not in a pay to play environment

Comment

Typical bee ess coach/doc response - splitting time with b team - sure , what about the kids on the b team? The b team players train all week and then the coach will send down A team players to take spots , it just doesn’t work

This only works if everything was free not in a pay to play environment
                  My kid has spent split time between the DA team and the top non DA team and it worked out fine. He’d train twice with DA, twice non DA. Guaranteed playing time every weekend. Made friends on both teams. Became a better player. Worked out fine and was eventually promoted to full time.

Comment

If you ask me for what the ideal number is, I'd say 15-16 with 1 keeper or plus one more with 2 keepers. That's ideal, but 19 with 2 keepers I think is acceptable if you are playing a rigorous schedule. As the season moves on, there will likely be sickness, injury and travel that come into play.

For a team that also has players doing high school soccer I'd want 17-18 minimum going into the season. HS Soccer yields so many conflicts and injuries.
                    This is correct answer. 15-16 is what you want. 19 is too many, even if you have 2 keepers. 7 field players on the bench needing to get some pt is just too much. Coach will feel obligated to play all 7 kids some amount, and it will lead to issues on the team. Everyone will be unhappy about pt. Starters will feel they are getting yanked too early, and non-starters will feel minutes are too limited.

Comment

Think about working 8 subs into a 30-minute U13 game. This team will not be competitive and many core players will sit. Some subs will be given “token” time -- 5-10 minutes/game. I don’t even see a development argument here unless parents don’t care about playing time. Hope the training sessions are “off the chart.”

This is a money grab. Was

Comment

Think about working 8 subs into a 30-minute U13 game. This team will not be competitive and many core players will sit. Some subs will be given “token” time -- 5-10 minutes/game. I don’t even see a development argument here unless parents don’t care about playing time. Hope the training sessions are “off the chart.”

This is a money grab. Was

Agreed!!!!!!!

Comment

Well the mls clubs like intermiami have around 25- 26 to a roster.

Comment

OC DA has 38 kids on the U15 roster and they can only roster 18 kids on game day, so yeah it is what it is.

Comment

MLS versus pay to play

Except MLS teams pay their players, in your situation, money is moving in the opposite direction. So to drop $400 on just one weekend trip to ATL and the coach is going to sing that MLS tune as he sits your kid and cashes your check...remind the coach that he's not an MLS coach, and this is pay to play, and you're not paying if he/or she isn't playing.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X