Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I agree and that is why CFC moving to Bethany will hurt them. FSA will benefit the most by this strategic blunder. I think the belief was that Bethany was central location in CT. However, no easy way to get there. It’s not a convenient location for most.
    Yet they still keep getting players....

Comment

I agree and that is why CFC moving to Bethany will hurt them. FSA will benefit the most by this strategic blunder. I think the belief was that Bethany was central location in CT. However, no easy way to get there. It’s not a convenient location for most.
      Seriously? There are literally players that drive past FSA to commute to Bethany to play at United.

Pretty sure they've never had bigger numbers. A big majority of United is Fairfield county players. United used to practice at Post in Waterbury and indoor in Hamden. Bethany is easier than dealing with 84 in Waterbury and closer than Hamden. Owning and controlling their own indoor-outdoor facilities is more critical than being 10 minutes closer for someone.

Yes, there are exceptions but CFC typically doesn't draw a ton from Hartford county. CFC is the dominant player in the area for college bound players and has been so for the past decade. There are players from Farmington that drive to Bethany to play at CFC, one of which is playing at a Big East school next year. With that in mind perhaps you can detail exactly how this strategic blunder works?

Comment

Seriously? There are literally players that drive past FSA to commute to Bethany to play at United.

Pretty sure they've never had bigger numbers. A big majority of United is Fairfield county players. United used to practice at Post in Waterbury and indoor in Hamden. Bethany is easier than dealing with 84 in Waterbury and closer than Hamden. Owning and controlling their own indoor-outdoor facilities is more critical than being 10 minutes closer for someone.

Yes, there are exceptions but CFC typically doesn't draw a ton from Hartford county. CFC is the dominant player in the area for college bound players and has been so for the past decade. There are players from Farmington that drive to Bethany to play at CFC, one of which is playing at a Big East school next year. With that in mind perhaps you can detail exactly how this strategic blunder works?
        I agree that CFC United is mostly Fairfield. They will also rely more on Fairfield County moving forward. You may have a couple of kids who will forego FSA to play at CFC but not many. From the eastern part of the state and from the Shoreline families just don’t see value in that drive anymore. I think most families will choose Oakwood. I think that is why you see so much vitriol towards Oakwood on this board. They see their numbers dwindling from that part of the state. CFC 2003 is a mess. 2004-2006 also going to be far more average. Days of touting the 2002 team are over.

Comment

I agree that CFC United is mostly Fairfield. They will also rely more on Fairfield County moving forward. You may have a couple of kids who will forego FSA to play at CFC but not many. From the eastern part of the state and from the Shoreline families just don’t see value in that drive anymore. I think most families will choose Oakwood. I think that is why you see so much vitriol towards Oakwood on this board. They see their numbers dwindling from that part of the state. CFC 2003 is a mess. 2004-2006 also going to be far more average. Days of touting the 2002 team are over.
          I think FSA will have most to gain from the landscape changes and clubs folding. Bethany not central, CFC already bloated, GAL not impressive and only a handful drive past FSA to CFC.

Comment

So let me get this straight. Players are going to opt for an inferior platform because CFC has a bad team in their 2003 group?

At a certain point, you realize this is all a means to an end and not about wins and losses in club soccer right? Yes, its fun to "win" tournaments and show that off on your facebook page. When the kids hit U15, these event are all showcase format. The only standing that matters is the amount of coaches standing on your sideline that might have an interest in your kid. Trust me when I tell, none of them care about the results of the matches. If anything, situational things in games help prospective coaches see how your kid handles things. Your player makes a mistake that results in conceding a goal, do they hang their head and pout or fly around trying to atone for it.

No parent of any serious player with college aspirations chooses Oakwood right now. Whatever logic you want to spin for the board to substantiate your decision is fine. Its just not consistent with the reality of the current environment. OW isn't going anywhere, they will be a decent boys club with a 2nd or 3rd tier option for their girls. The best players will bypass it and the rest continue. They are back to trying to field teams good enough to qualify for decent flights at events like the Jefferson Cup.

Lastly and please be assured that CFC doesn't care about Oakwood. It wasn't a threat when they had the DA and it's the furthest thing from a threat now.

Comment

So let me get this straight. Players are going to opt for an inferior platform because CFC has a bad team in their 2003 group?

At a certain point, you realize this is all a means to an end and not about wins and losses in club soccer right? Yes, its fun to "win" tournaments and show that off on your facebook page. When the kids hit U15, these event are all showcase format. The only standing that matters is the amount of coaches standing on your sideline that might have an interest in your kid. Trust me when I tell, none of them care about the results of the matches. If anything, situational things in games help prospective coaches see how your kid handles things. Your player makes a mistake that results in conceding a goal, do they hang their head and pout or fly around trying to atone for it.

No parent of any serious player with college aspirations chooses Oakwood right now. Whatever logic you want to spin for the board to substantiate your decision is fine. Its just not consistent with the reality of the current environment. OW isn't going anywhere, they will be a decent boys club with a 2nd or 3rd tier option for their girls. The best players will bypass it and the rest continue. They are back to trying to field teams good enough to qualify for decent flights at events like the Jefferson Cup.

Lastly and please be assured that CFC doesn't care about Oakwood. It wasn't a threat when they had the DA and it's the furthest thing from a threat now.
              CT Boys Power Ranking:
              1) OW
              2) BS
              3) FSA
              4) CFCU

CT Girls Power Ranking:
              1) CFCU
              2) OW
              3) FSA
              4) CT Rush

Comment

CFC is most definitely scared of Oakwood. So is FSA. Not clubs are more concerned with creating B teams and keeping Oakwood out of ECNL. You sit here and say that it’s all about having coaches on the sideline and running Showcases. If that is the case then open your door and let Oakwood play. All CFC wants is a closed shop. Then they send 95% of their players to local coaches coaches by....you guessed it....CFC coaches. It’s a great set up as long as they can keep it protected.

Comment

No one is worried about OW, even more so on the girl's side.

Comment

The best part of that ranking is even mentioning CT Rush

Comment

No one is worried about OW, even more so on the girl's side.
                      CFC United backs out of more matches VS OW girls teams than you know of. fundraiser / charity matches it doesn't matter. CFC United always cancels out.

FSA too. FSA ownership always says no to matches vs ow that their coaches set up

Comment

Thanks. Another myopic outlook from a CFC anus sniffer

Comment

The best part of that ranking is even mentioning CT Rush
                          What are your top 4, if you feel CT Rush does not make the cut?

Comment

CFC United backs out of more matches VS OW girls teams than you know of. fundraiser / charity matches it doesn't matter. CFC United always cancels out.

FSA too. FSA ownership always says no to matches vs ow that their coaches set up
                            ECNL is a closed league. It is the top league though. The CT clubs, which are pretty mediocre, get the benefit of being a part of the best league and do not have to play anyone who is not ECNL. It’s in their best interest not to play any teams.

Comment

Nates a good guy and a good coach. He does bounce around a lot though.

Comment

ECNL is a closed league. It is the top league though. The CT clubs, which are pretty mediocre, get the benefit of being a part of the best league and do not have to play anyone who is not ECNL. It’s in their best interest not to play any teams.
                                Unlike leading soccer countries, USA system is based on a closed system - from youth all they way up to MLS. In a closed system, teams become complacent and have no real incentive to produce top players or results.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X