Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    GAL said it would be allowed without putting any actual thought into how it could actually work. USSF had many faults and their own reasons for not allowing HS, but one good reason was it's nearly impossible to do both. It's too much physically and mentally, plus, you know, maybe get your school work done too. GAL knows it but they were trying to compete with ECNL
    Which is exactly why, for the players who want to play HS, they will. For those who won't, they won't.

Why is this difficult to grasp?

Comment

Of course. So, we'll continue to be in contact and follow their advice (keep doing what you are doing and we'll come see you play).

Not sure what any of your post had to do with the misinformation campaign by the "threatened" ECNL crew (and I saw "threatened" because I can find no other reason for the constant lies they post).
      I can't imagine you're talking to over 300 college coaches. My daughter is on an ECNL team and I promise you, not a single person we are in contact with is threatened by GAL in any capacity. And we have a GAL club within spitting distance, and still, no threat.

Comment

I can't imagine you're talking to over 300 college coaches. My daughter is on an ECNL team and I promise you, not a single person we are in contact with is threatened by GAL in any capacity. And we have a GAL club within spitting distance, and still, no threat.
        Of course not. She is being recruited hard by 9, in contact with 5 more; she's only considering 5 of those. That's all we care about. What is happening in Idaho is of little interest to us.

And, I agree you shouldn't be concerned...yet...the misinformation campaign is in full force so there has to be a reason. It's the only one I can think of.

You tell me why, then, Swammi?

Comment

There are plenty of programs with players who are ranked 24-30 who are there because they are FULL PAY players. Some parents will pay big money just to help their kids fulfill their dream of playing college soccer.
          I have seen it first hand.
          Players that have been on the roster for 4 years and have only played a total of 30 minutes in 4 years do exist. They continue for the same reason some of these club teams have kids that don’t play ,but just pay. They buy the dream and don’t earn/live it.
          And the office of admissions is very happy when a coach brings in close to a quarter million dollars in tuition money. I’ve seen coaches take awful players just because they were FULL PAY.
          Why would a school downsize a roster when that scheme is in place.
          I’ve seen it first hand in D1 D2 and D3.
          don’t expect to see soccer rosters cut with that scheme in place.

Comment

There are plenty of programs with players who are ranked 24-30 who are there because they are FULL PAY players. Some parents will pay big money just to help their kids fulfill their dream of playing college soccer.
            I have seen it first hand.
            Players that have been on the roster for 4 years and have only played a total of 30 minutes in 4 years do exist. They continue for the same reason some of these club teams have kids that don’t play ,but just pay. They buy the dream and don’t earn/live it.
            And the office of admissions is very happy when a coach brings in close to a quarter million dollars in tuition money. I’ve seen coaches take awful players just because they were FULL PAY.
            Why would a school downsize a roster when that scheme is in place.
            I’ve seen it first hand in D1 D2 and D3.
            don’t expect to see soccer rosters cut with that scheme in place.
            Full Pay players don't cost anything in scholarship money, but they most certainly cost the program money. Between insurance, travel & lodging, food, training gear and additional swag-even Full Pay players cost in the thousands, per player. 6-8 additional players that will not touch the field in a season's worth of games aren't worth the $20,000+ they cost the program.

Expect reduced rosters with very few (if any) "reserved roster" or "voucher" players at some schools. Some schools will still offer walk-on spots (full pay) for kids that will be attending the school regardless, but they will be part of designated practice team that does not travel with the team or dress for games, but can (and are expected to) attend and spectate from a designated "players area" (not the bench).

If the dozens of coaches you are talking to across all 3 divisions of NCAA women's soccer on behalf of your daughter are taking a different approach, then they are taking a different approach. But this is what some schools are planning.

Comment

Full Pay players don't cost anything in scholarship money, but they most certainly cost the program money. Between insurance, travel & lodging, food, training gear and additional swag-even Full Pay players cost in the thousands, per player. 6-8 additional players that will not touch the field in a season's worth of games aren't worth the $20,000+ they cost the program.

Expect reduced rosters with very few (if any) "reserved roster" or "voucher" players at some schools. Some schools will still offer walk-on spots (full pay) for kids that will be attending the school regardless, but they will be part of designated practice team that does not travel with the team or dress for games, but can (and are expected to) attend and spectate from a designated "players area" (not the bench).

If the dozens of coaches you are talking to across all 3 divisions of NCAA women's soccer on behalf of your daughter are taking a different approach, then they are taking a different approach. But this is what some schools are planning.
              You are talking like you never coached in college because you are so far off with your numbers. I rostered 6 FULL PAY players who were bottom of the roster and my AD and office of admission we’re both thrilled. The players knew they would only be practice players and never travel. The only extra cost was gear. Plus two of the parents were major donors to the program.
              Maybe not all schools do this but mine does. No reduced spending here or cut rosters.

Comment

You are talking like you never coached in college because you are so far off with your numbers. I rostered 6 FULL PAY players who were bottom of the roster and my AD and office of admission we’re both thrilled. The players knew they would only be practice players and never travel. The only extra cost was gear. Plus two of the parents were major donors to the program.
                Maybe not all schools do this but mine does. No reduced spending here or cut rosters.
                Not OP, but I call BS. EVERY school athletics program is looking to reduce spending after Covid. Please share what University you work for that is going full steam ahead like nothing happened!

Comment

Not OP, but I call BS. EVERY school athletics program is looking to reduce spending after Covid. Please share what University you work for that is going full steam ahead like nothing happened!
                  OP. Yes we are reducing spending but not cutting our roster. Read and comprehend what we are discussing not what you want to boast about. Bad argument! Done with you, you lost. whose next.

Comment

Yeah tell us where you work so we can immediately say your program is garbage and then figure out who you are while we remain anonymous.

Comment

That's not a truthful statement. My daughter turned down an ECNL offer due to my inability to get to their facility frequently enough. So, we went down the GDA/GAL path, and it's turning out just fine. Almost the entire roster is in this situation, and based on offers presented to a some players and (my view) where those who received ECNL offers sit ability-wise, I would say a minimum of 6 players on this GAL roster would be on an ECNL roster should there be an opportunity. In fact, a several players on an ECNL roster have played with our club in the past and they were not the best players on the team.

There are entire swaths of areas being shut out and need to find alternative paths.
                      Most GAL clubs are in the same areas ECNL clubs are - major metro areas with lots of middle to upper income families. They're not setting up show in rural Arkansas.

Comment

OP. Yes we are reducing spending but not cutting our roster. Read and comprehend what we are discussing not what you want to boast about. Bad argument! Done with you, you lost. whose next.
                        Not the poster - coaches won't cut current rosters but they will take smaller recruiting classes for the foreseeable future. They also won't look to replace drop outs or transfers. Making do with less. At many programs half the players are practice cones. You don't need 28-30 players to be successful

Comment

Not the poster - coaches won't cut current rosters but they will take smaller recruiting classes for the foreseeable future. They also won't look to replace drop outs or transfers. Making do with less. At many programs half the players are practice cones. You don't need 28-30 players to be successful
                          Well apparently there's a local college coach (with a daughter in GAL) that claims "No reduced spending here or cut rosters." at his school, so there's hope!

Comment

I agree!
                            Some will for sure,some will keep on doing what they have been doing too.

Comment

Most GAL clubs are in the same areas ECNL clubs are - major metro areas with lots of middle to upper income families. They're not setting up show in rural Arkansas.
                              And, again, I am telling you that ECNL doesn't cover enough of an area to reach every player, so college level players are ending up in other leagues. Not by choice. And, there are a lot of very good players in the same position. College coaches understand that and will not recruit exclusively from a single league.

So, shltting on those players and the league filling in the gaps makes no sense. Unless you sense a fear in them, I see no other reason to.

Comment

And, again, I am telling you that ECNL doesn't cover enough of an area to reach every player, so college level players are ending up in other leagues. Not by choice. And, there are a lot of very good players in the same position. College coaches understand that and will not recruit exclusively from a single league.

So, shltting on those players and the league filling in the gaps makes no sense. Unless you sense a fear in them, I see no other reason to.
                                In speaking to many dif college coaches your assessment is correct, quite a few do indeed prefer ECNL but by the same token at least 1/2 of them also make it a point to recruit elsewhere.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X