Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Alright, I'll sign up for hell if I miss church, but not for missing the Easter egg hunt.
    You miss the hunt and you will suffer a fate worse than hell, mom's s@#t list, a.k.a. hell on earth.

Comment

Much of club soccer is played on Sunday and for many non Catholic Christians this creates a problem because few protestant churches have embraced the Saturday evening service fulfilling the Sunday obligation option.

Unfortunately in the younger ages, when protestant "Sunday School" typically takes place U12 and under have games anywhere from 8 am to 1 pm.

There is a conflict for sure and my family struggled with it but put the games ahead of church for the seasons affected, and managed to get in services when we could on days where games weren't so early in the day.

I don't think it was the best decision to be honest, and it's not one that I am proud of today (U17). My child probably would have gotten more out of Sunday school during those earlier years, than from club soccer games. There are very few years when you really have influence on your child's faith in God. They mirror what you perceive to be the priority and it's very difficult to go back on that stance, when the schedules change to late afternoon games.

A tournament on a religious holiday is just one more conflict that parents shouldn't have to deal with. But unfortunately, for many, the holiday is just another day to party and has nothing to do with religion or true beliefs.
      Got Soccer does not report any US tournaments as being held on Easter Sunday.

https://home.gotsoccer.com/events.as...te=&category=0

Even the Delaware Easter Cup and the Houston Easter Invitational did not offer any games on Easter. Don't give up hope just yet that your club will start scheduling tournaments on Christmas or Easter. I can't see that trend taking off in the US any time soon, but I am worried that my club might start to fancy obscure tournaments held in British Columbia.

Comment

There are very few years when you really have influence on your child's faith in God. They mirror what you perceive to be the priority and it's very difficult to go back on that stance, when the schedules change to late afternoon games. [/QUOTE]

Surely the priority should be sending them to the best possible school and setting the best possible home environment so they get a rounded and impartial education which would lead to them becoming inspired and inquisitive about such related matters. Not forcing them to some dated sunday school propaganda session. Letting them find there own way and not forcing any faith on them.

This Neil deGrasse Tyson quote kind of gets over the sentiment i am trying to get at- "Kids are never the problem. They are born scientists. The problem is always the adults. They beat the curiosity out of kids. They outnumber kids. They vote. They wield resources. That's why my public focus is primarily adults."

I have coached many kids who's parents have forced Sunday school upon them and have seen the resentment first hand, especially when they get around the u14 age and start to question it all.

Comment

There are very few years when you really have influence on your child's faith in God. They mirror what you perceive to be the priority and it's very difficult to go back on that stance, when the schedules change to late afternoon games.
          Surely the priority should be sending them to the best possible school and setting the best possible home environment so they get a rounded and impartial education which would lead to them becoming inspired and inquisitive about such related matters. Not forcing them to some dated sunday school propaganda session. Letting them find there own way and not forcing any faith on them.

This Neil deGrasse Tyson quote kind of gets over the sentiment i am trying to get at- "Kids are never the problem. They are born scientists. The problem is always the adults. They beat the curiosity out of kids. They outnumber kids. They vote. They wield resources. That's why my public focus is primarily adults."

I have coached many kids who's parents have forced Sunday school upon them and have seen the resentment first hand, especially when they get around the u14 age and start to question it all.[/QUOTE]

I don't necessarily disagree with all you've said. However many parents take that approach "letting them figure out those matters on their own," and nothing gets figured out. And we raise more and more children with huge spiritual needs and nothing to fall back on. The practice of faith is important to many families.

Comment

US is still a backwater politically, socially and in terms of the beautiful game.
            Yeah but we kick UK keester in terms of dental hygiene.....

Comment

Not sure about this. Definitely wouldn't play on Christmas. Our thanksgiving weekend is already taken up by soccer. My daughter is missing a game next weekend b/c my other child is making her first communion. Family events take precedence over soccer. We aren't super religious, but sometimes other things are more important. She is going to the first game but missing the second. Told the coach back in January.

Comment

No way would an Easter game be thought of in our club. It would cause a revolt.
                Mormon United FC?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                Auto-Saved
                x
                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                x
                Working...
                X