Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Not to mention that the Breakers got 2 players and two draft picks for her.
    A few Horses for a Stallion... was a very poor and uneven trade

Comment

Originally posted by Beachbum View Post
      A few Horses for a Stallion... was a very poor and uneven trade
      You mean like this one?

Minnesota Vikings received
      RB Herschel Walker
      Dallas's 3rd round pick - 1990 (54) (Mike Jones)
      San Diego's 5th round pick - 1990 (116) (Reggie Thornton)
      Dallas's 10th round pick - 1990 (249) (Pat Newman)
      Dallas's 3rd round pick - 1991 (68) (Jake Reed)
      Dallas Cowboys received
      LB Jesse Solomon
      LB David Howard
      CB Issiac Holt
      RB Darrin Nelson (traded to San Diego after he refused to report to Dallas)
      DE Alex Stewart
      Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1990 (21) (traded this pick along with pick (81) for pick (17) from Pittsburgh to draft Emmitt Smith)
      Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1990 (47) (Alexander Wright)
      Minnesota's 6th round pick in 1990 (158) (traded to New Orleans, who drafted James Williams)
      Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1991 (conditional) - (12) (Alvin Harper)
      Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1991 (conditional) - (38) (Dixon Edwards)
      Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1992 (conditional) - (37) (Darren Woodson)
      Minnesota's 3rd round pick in 1992 (conditional) - (71) (traded to New England, who drafted Kevin Turner)
      Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1993 (conditional) - (13) (traded to Philadelphia Eagles, and then to the Houston Oilers, who drafted Brad Hopkins)[1]

Comment

Originally posted by perspective View Post
        "....unproven, local kid with some upside."

Unproven in what sense? At what level? Compared to Marta? In World Cups? I guess one could very arguably call that accurate if being very, very stingy, and while Leroux may in fact be more marketable, "unproven" is not a very generous characterization for someone who has been the best in our entire area in the recent era, who was US Soccer Young Athlete of the Year (for the entire country), a 2 or 3 time All-American, and already named to multiple full national team squads.

And you don't think it's possible that the league after multiple failures is not only "listening to the players" but also thinking local markets might want to see and support local standouts?
        Nope, could care less. I would rather see Marta than a "local standout".....I would rather see Sydney than a "local standout". I would rather see a quality product and competitive team than the best of Ma Youth Soccer...

If that includes local talent that is great... But there seems to be a lot of NT talent on other teams and not all in their old home towns.

We got screwed because they though we would go to the games anyway because it is a hot soccer market and the league wanted to develop other ones. Well I am not paying for them to develop Portland.....

Comment

Nope, could care less. I would rather see Marta than a "local standout".....I would rather see Sydney than a "local standout". I would rather see a quality product and competitive team than the best of Ma Youth Soccer...

If that includes local talent that is great... But there seems to be a lot of NT talent on other teams and not all in their old home towns.

We got screwed because they though we would go to the games anyway because it is a hot soccer market and the league wanted to develop other ones. Well I am not paying for them to develop Portland.....
          You are confused son.

Develop Portland???? Portland already had 3x the average attendance of the next closest team.

Comment

I didn't say whether it was the best decision...I said it might have been part of the thinking...maybe thinking that won't pan out...but like a lot of conjectures on this site could be a false negative...meaning that the team might not draw well even if Leroux was here. Hey, why not Marta, Leroux, Morgan AND Mewis?

I was responding to the characterization of the player, which you at least indirectly contributed to with your line " I would rather see a quality product and competitive team than the best of Ma Youth Soccer..." Best of MYSA? Really? You're talking about one of the top 16-18 players in the USA....that was United States Youth Athlete of the Year (not MYSA POY)...and someone who won a Silver or Bronze ball at a World Cup competition (U17 or U20).

Comment

Originally posted by perspective View Post
              I didn't say whether it was the best decision...I said it might have been part of the thinking...maybe thinking that won't pan out...but like a lot of conjectures on this site could be a false negative...meaning that the team might not draw well even if Leroux was here. Hey, why not Marta, Leroux, Morgan AND Mewis?

I was responding to the characterization of the player, which you at least indirectly contributed to with your line " I would rather see a quality product and competitive team than the best of Ma Youth Soccer..." Best of MYSA? Really? You're talking about one of the top 16-18 players in the USA....that was United States Youth Athlete of the Year (not MYSA POY)...and someone who won a Silver or Bronze ball at a World Cup competition (U17 or U20).
              Mewis is a very good player, obviously. However we all could have seen her play locally at BC for free and very few consistently did so.

Leroux is a better player at this point and is certainly WAY more marketable. The Breakers traded one of the most recognized female athletes in the world. Exactly the type of player that is needed to build a brand and a following. Portland got her for a good player, not a superstar.

Also, Striker vs. Midfield/Defender. Who is more interesting to the target audience?

Comment

Mewis is a very good player, obviously. However we all could have seen her play locally at BC for free and very few consistently did so.

Leroux is a better player at this point and is certainly WAY more marketable. The Breakers traded one of the most recognized female athletes in the world. Exactly the type of player that is needed to build a brand and a following. Portland got her for a good player, not a superstar.

Also, Striker vs. Midfield/Defender. Who is more interesting to the target audience?
                Fair enough...but Leroux didn't want to be in Boston...and that kind of demand or orchestration from a high level professional athlete isn't that unusual. Other pro teams are faced with that predicament all the time. Should they have just let her walk for nothing in return???

Comment

Rather a shocking display of temper from Lisa De Vanna last night earned her a red card. It sure looked like she told the official "--- you" with her arm twice and then they moved the altercation off camera (or rather the camera didn't move with the "action." Do they send her out to coach the Breakers-Scorpions U-littles?

Comment

Rather a shocking display of temper from Lisa De Vanna last night earned her a red card. It sure looked like she told the official "--- you" with her arm twice and then they moved the altercation off camera (or rather the camera didn't move with the "action." Do they send her out to coach the Breakers-Scorpions U-littles?
                    Most people without an agenda can distinguish between loosing it in a pro game, because competition got heated, and being a bad role model for young players. If we are going to start doing that 99% of the coaches in the world wouldn't be allowed on the field. Maybe that's what you want? Little easier to get your own thing going? Maybe one of those that think such behavior, is boorish, and would damage all the young players perception of what is acceptable behavior on the field? Which one?

Comment

Great post!

Comment

http://www.lowellsun.com/Sports/ci_2...ubles-as-a-pro

Comment

This seems highly unlikely. Who would have a camera at this match?

Comment

This seems highly unlikely. Who would have a camera at this match?
                            Every match is streamed. I asssume the poster meant video camera. Here is the link; it happened around minute 88 of the game and 2:06 of the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lbg1-1cAQhk

Lots has been written about this - a few feel DeVanna was wrongly charged with the initial foul but many thought she was obstructing and then was fouled in retaliation with the first foul being called.She obviously lost her temper so that part is not much in dispute.

Comment

Every match is streamed. I asssume the poster meant video camera. Here is the link; it happened around minute 88 of the game and 2:06 of the video.

Lots has been written about this - a few feel DeVanna was wrongly charged with the initial foul but many thought she was obstructing and then was fouled in retaliation with the first foul being called.She obviously lost her temper so that part is not much in dispute.
                              I've watched it 3 or 4 times. What I see is 2 players going for the ball with DeVanna attempting to get better position, and the Sky Blue player using her hands to keep her from doing so. I see no obstruction. Bad call IMO.

Comment

Somebody didn't get the joke.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X