Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    'Awful' may be a little strong, but having attended Breakers vs Dash on Sunday night, I can report that the product was not all that compelling. Besides the couple of NT-level talents on either side, the rest were pretty average. Even De Vanna (AUS), who generally gets decent billing (and who, to be fair displays an excellent work rate) showed grievously poor ability to hold onto the ball on multiple occasions. As you might expect, O'Rielly's (USA) speed is impressive, and she did create one of the goals with a well placed cross to Lohman. Breakers defending was suspect, with Jones looking the most uncertain of herself. Kyle was overall decent in the midfield, and it might well have helped if Mewis (USA) had not been out with an injury.

On the other side, Noyola (MEX) who came in off the bench was one of the standouts. Souza (BRA) was decent as well. Would have liked to have seen Ohai but she, like Mewis, was out due to injury.

i will likely attend again (yes, my daughters were with me), as it's not a bad way to spend a couple hours on a Sunday evening, but will certainly be hoping for better quality.
    Would you attend without your daughter? Is the quality enough for you to watch as a soccer fan?

Comment

Would you attend without your daughter? Is the quality enough for you to watch as a soccer fan?
      I would have to say say that's a borderline proposition at best, unless we somehow decided to combine it into a social outing with a group of our other adult friends (who would also most likely be parents of young female players). As I said, all in all, not the worst way to spend a spring/summer evening.

However, as I think about it, we may not be the best yardstick either, as we have also gone to see BC and BU women's games from time to time. Given that, we're not necessarily representative of the average Boston sports fan. More than a passing interest in soccer would be a fair way to put it.

Comment

The Krafts deserve a lot of crap for how they run the Revs, but if you think that Agudelo is "gone with no explanation" then you are not paying attention. He wanted to leave MLS and try his luck in Europe. That is why he is gone.
        //////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
        Thanks for the reply Mr. Kraft.
        Could you give a link with direct quotes from Agudelo to prove your point? And have you ever had an employee who thought about trying another 'company' or sports team? And, now, stretch your mind for a minute being the astute businessman that you are and please tell me if there is any conceivable method of keeping said employee (or athlete) in your organization and under a contract? ...hint...PAY HIM WHAT HE IS WORTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Then real fans may show up alongside the johnny come lately's who probably still don't know what an 'agudelo' is and will probably whine for 15 seconds when Diego Fagundez disappears and then go right back to their pink pom poms and $15 gatorade.

...thanks for proving my point about New England fans.

Comment

Also the prouduct is awful. Quick poll, is there anyone in attendance at these games who does not attend with their daughter? That is not fandom, that is hero worship from young girls who will grow out of that phase. What is left is another group of starry eyed ulittles to take their place. No real fans, and an awful product spells doom.
          We attended a couple of games last year in Dilboy Stadium without our daughter. We enjoyed them very much, although I wasn't crazy about the venue. (We bought tickets in advance, but security was so lax one could have strolled in for free.) Still, the soccer was much better than the best college soccer you'll see around here (I have Virginia and FSU in mind).

Comment

Could you give a link with direct quotes from Agudelo to prove your point? And have you ever had an employee who thought about trying another 'company' or sports team? And, now, stretch your mind for a minute being the astute businessman that you are and please tell me if there is any conceivable method of keeping said employee (or athlete) in your organization and under a contract? ...hint...PAY HIM WHAT HE IS WORTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Then real fans may show up alongside the johnny come lately's who probably still don't know what an 'agudelo' is and will probably whine for 15 seconds when Diego Fagundez disappears and then go right back to their pink pom poms and $15 gatorade.

What do you think a fair wage for Agudelo would have been?
            Thanks in advance for your valued input.
            Bob

Comment

http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/2...ue-in-january/

1) When still with the Red Bulls, said he wanted to be in Europe. 2) Signed agreement with Stoke in August last year...still in the middle of MLS season...pretty clear he wanted out.

The only way Agudelo would have considered staying is if the Revs paid him significantly more than he could get in Europe. The Krafts aren't about to overpay for anyone. I wish they'd be more willing to splash cash like TFC, LA, NYRB...but they won't.

Comment

http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/2...ue-in-january/

1) When still with the Red Bulls, said he wanted to be in Europe. 2) Signed agreement with Stoke in August last year...still in the middle of MLS season...pretty clear he wanted out.

The only way Agudelo would have considered staying is if the Revs paid him significantly more than he could get in Europe. The Krafts aren't about to overpay for anyone. I wish they'd be more willing to splash cash like TFC, LA, NYRB...but they won't.
                ///////////////////
                I appreciate your informative response and apologize for my tone. I've become a rabid fan over the past few years. I'm thrilled that we get such a talented player like Agudelo, and then he's just gone! Really ticked me off. I looked and couldn't find an explanation, including from the team.

Comment

What do you think a fair wage for Agudelo would have been?j
                  Thanks in advance for your valued input.
                  Bob
                  //////////////////////////
                  Dear Bob,
                  A `fair' wage would've been one that kept Agudelo here. Maybe you would have to over pay but it's what you need to do to build the brand and grow the fan base and revenue stream. Instead we're left with a mediocre product at best which could be better marketed as a cure for insomnia.

Comment

//////////////////////////
                    Dear Bob,
                    A `fair' wage would've been one that kept Agudelo here. Maybe you would have to over pay but it's what you need to do to build the brand and grow the fan base and revenue stream. Instead we're left with a mediocre product at best which could be better marketed as a cure for insomnia.
                    What part of "He doesn't care" don't you understand? There was a link to the Boston.com article that spells out the Kraft's "commitment" to the team. The most effective way to express disapproval or disinterest is to ignore a team that has been consigned to less than mediocrity.

Comment

Back on Topic (god forbid)

When the Breakers (current) started they had a very competitive squad, compelling teams and players to play against (Marta) and a "decent" venue (Harvard). And they used to be at the top of the league in attendance at roughly 5K per game.

Fast forward to a few years at Dliboy which sucked, a very watered down product both league wide and the team itself and add the only compelling player to watch demands out of town and you now have less than 1/2 the attendance in a area that has huge youth participation. And falling fast.

Make no mistake, the crapfest they showcase in Foxboro is not helping either. You have an area that should exploding in attendance but both genders have a lousy product on the field and at or near bottom of their leagues.

I have season tickets to Breakers (and go without my kids...) but this is the last year. I was all done with Dilboy but really hopeful when they announced the move to Harvard but it is clear the league doesn't give a rats ass about Boston and I will not keep supporting a team that its own league doesn't care about. I watch other teams in the league stacked with NT players and we get the practice squad.

Its just not worth going.....

Comment

I cancelled my season's tickets (no kids- just spouse) when they moved to Dilboy. I didn't get season's tickets this year because I was disappointed in some of the choices they made in this year's draft but I enjoyed Sunday's game.

The problem is that I found myself routing for the Dash. I just couldn't help myself. How weird is that?

Top to bottom Breakers had 4 inches and 20 pounds on the Dash players. Now this is going to sound awful but I just didn't enjoy watching them lumber down the field even if they do have a rocket shot or great cross.

Noyola was a blast to watch.

Comment

Who is head of sales? They must have something to say about the team being placed on the field and the chosen game days. Very few Saturday or Sunday night games.

Back on Topic (god forbid)

When the Breakers (current) started they had a very competitive squad, compelling teams and players to play against (Marta) and a "decent" venue (Harvard). And they used to be at the top of the league in attendance at roughly 5K per game.

Fast forward to a few years at Dliboy which sucked, a very watered down product both league wide and the team itself and add the only compelling player to watch demands out of town and you now have less than 1/2 the attendance in a area that has huge youth participation. And falling fast.

Make no mistake, the crapfest they showcase in Foxboro is not helping either. You have an area that should exploding in attendance but both genders have a lousy product on the field and at or near bottom of their leagues.

I have season tickets to Breakers (and go without my kids...) but this is the last year. I was all done with Dilboy but really hopeful when they announced the move to Harvard but it is clear the league doesn't give a rats ass about Boston and I will not keep supporting a team that its own league doesn't care about. I watch other teams in the league stacked with NT players and we get the practice squad.

Its just not worth going.....

Comment

Who is head of sales? They must have something to say about the team being placed on the field and the chosen game days. Very few Saturday or Sunday night games.
                            It is pretty clear that this league is being run by the players. The Breakers were "forced" to trade Leroux, who is among the most recognizable and marketable players in the world for an unproven, local kid with some upside. Not even close to a fair deal. No one in their right mind would have made that trade for soccer or business reasons.

Comment

It is pretty clear that this league is being run by the players. The Breakers were "forced" to trade Leroux, who is among the most recognizable and marketable players in the world for an unproven, local kid with some upside. Not even close to a fair deal. No one in their right mind would have made that trade for soccer or business reasons.
                              "....unproven, local kid with some upside."

Unproven in what sense? At what level? Compared to Marta? In World Cups? I guess one could very arguably call that accurate if being very, very stingy, and while Leroux may in fact be more marketable, "unproven" is not a very generous characterization for someone who has been the best in our entire area in the recent era, who was US Soccer Young Athlete of the Year (for the entire country), a 2 or 3 time All-American, and already named to multiple full national team squads.

And you don't think it's possible that the league after multiple failures is not only "listening to the players" but also thinking local markets might want to see and support local standouts?

Comment

Originally posted by perspective View Post
                                "....unproven, local kid with some upside."

Unproven in what sense? At what level? Compared to Marta? In World Cups? I guess one could very arguably call that accurate if being very, very stingy, and while Leroux may in fact be more marketable, "unproven" is not a very generous characterization for someone who has been the best in our entire area in the recent era, who was US Soccer Young Athlete of the Year (for the entire country), a 2 or 3 time All-American, and already named to multiple full national team squads.

And you don't think it's possible that the league after multiple failures is not only "listening to the players" but also thinking local markets might want to see and support local standouts?
                                Not to mention that the Breakers got 2 players and two draft picks for her.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X