Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Artificial turf: can it impact children's health?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Artificial turf: can it impact children's health?

Health And Safety Considerations

Some potential health and safety considerations related to synthetic turf have generated public concern. These include:

Heat stress
    Injury
    Infection
    Latex allergy
    Chemical exposure

http://www.globalhealingcenter.com/n...ial-turf-safe/

http://www.cleveland.com/healthfit/i...s_field_r.html

Heat is a valid concern.

The rest is just helicopter mom/nanny-state NIMBY behavior.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagerestbloom View Post
      Health And Safety Considerations

Some potential health and safety considerations related to synthetic turf have generated public concern. These include:

Heat stress
      Injury
      Infection
      Latex allergy
      Chemical exposure

http://www.globalhealingcenter.com/n...ial-turf-safe/

http://www.cleveland.com/healthfit/i...s_field_r.html
      You forget getting the little pellets up your nose !!

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        You forget getting the little pellets up your nose !!
        Or the turf turds that litter the floor of your car.

Seriously, those are quasi-concerns but the majority of kids will not be playing/practicing on turf at all or only occasionally. Only high level squads and/or older kids have regular access, where the play is already very physical. I've seen broken bones on turf and grass. Overheating can be accommodated with frequent water breaks. So other than possible chemical issues (which like all else can be debated either way) then I see turf as a necessary evil to be able to play in New England.

Comment

My son plays on the high-level Academy team. i'm just amazed at the fact that most of the kids in the games that he plays wear regular cleats. This is just asking for trouble either now through injury in a game or future injuries like knee and ankle issues. You don't have to believe me -Just ask any sports medicine doctor who deals with turf field injuries.

Comment

Voice recognition Typo: "plays on a high level academy team"

Comment

My son plays on the high-level Academy team. i'm just amazed at the fact that most of the kids in the games that he plays wear regular cleats. This is just asking for trouble either now through injury in a game or future injuries like knee and ankle issues. You don't have to believe me -Just ask any sports medicine doctor who deals with turf field injuries.
              Phil Knight what is the proper footwear for turf

Comment

appropriate footwear for turf depends on sophistication of turf.

Comment

ban leaf blowers -

across the street from our playing field - commercial clean up crew blowing parking lot debris and vegetation - terrific for deep breathing exercising soccer players

http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/id/ART02059

Comment

Heat is a valid concern.

No worse than fertilizer and weed killers.

Comment

One of my players is allergic to freshly cut grass (she's a keeper too). Pick your poison.

Comment

Heat is a valid concern.

yes, TS is filled with moms and nannys making comments. In fact, it was a mom who wouldn't play in Foxboro because of the turf for a friendly . Men have valid health and safety concerns too. Join the big boys and grow up.

Comment

yes, TS is filled with moms and nannys making comments. In fact, it was a mom who wouldn't play in Foxboro because of the turf for a friendly . Men have valid health and safety concerns too. Join the big boys and grow up.
                          Whatever. Go hover over your kid.

Comment

My son is allergic to latex and rubber. He can play on synthetic fields outside. He has severe trouble breathing on these fields in enclosed spaces, so no more indoor. It is a serious issue for those impacted.

Comment

My son is allergic to latex and rubber. He can play on synthetic fields outside. He has severe trouble breathing on these fields in enclosed spaces, so no more indoor. It is a serious issue for those impacted.
                              Well, you can't have real grass indoors!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X