Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://www.talking-soccer.com/TS4/sh...ight=Scorpions

At least 50 other threads started [yep, STARTED] like this one. Guess who? Let's do some REAL research and see how the divisiveness was very happily created with constant gasoline on the fire.

Comment

Originally posted by perspective View Post
      http://www.talking-soccer.com/TS4/sh...ight=Scorpions

At least 50 other threads started [yep, STARTED] like this one. Guess who? Let's do some REAL research and see how the divisiveness was very happily created with constant gasoline on the fire.
      Well done Perspective. Exposed the frauds again. My hat's off to you.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        Well done Perspective. Exposed the frauds again. My hat's off to you.
        If viewers triple whatever they think my perception is they will get into the ballpark of what these folks have done here on TS...the same folks who must laugh all the way to the bank everyday knowing that they have done what they have done (and continue to do) without being fully called out after all of these years up to the present. There is no end to their mayhem..... but it can all be traced easily enough if one wants to do so. When someone recently admitted "you're damn right I pushed back," that might be called the gross understatement of the year. One of the very favorite tactics has been to start threads like this one here and the ones linked, and then in a continual "who me?" thespian production state over and over (and over) that they are only very innocently raising questions, and what in the world could possibly be more fair and legitimate than asking fair questions. I wonder just how many threads started with this MO. 50? 75? 100? More than a 100? I think I have a project for today.

Comment

I agree with some that Perspective says (not all) and do appreciate he has the energy to go back through the forums and never takes what another poster says at face value. He exhausts me with the volume he writes - much as BTDT did when he was still posting as himself.

As the parent of soccer players of different ages and genders, I have been all over this forum since well before the 2009 apparent "high point". It got so bad that I have at times signed in in order to report particularly nasty threads to moderators. I have in the past managed to get entire threads deleted. No one seems to do this anymore and I am on so infrequently now I just skip the nasty stuff. There were some very intelligent posters who added a lot to the discussion but they are now gone. Based on what I read they are gone completely - not just underground.

These are my general impressions that follow-

1. Each year it gets nastier than it was before
          2. Postings relating to girls/women seem worse than those relating to boys/men
          3. There is evidence of racism or at least xenophobia in the treatment of players of color or different heritages. (Hint:use of the word thug seems to be a give away)
          4. Back in the day coaches did post. I am not sure they do anymore despite the frequent accusations. They look at things differently and talk about the game differently than the posts here usually do.
          5. Except for the few posts about central mass high school soccer - the race towards women's college soccer seems to bring up the most rancor. I have never understood this as it seems like such an individual thing.
          6. The Mewises have been for the most part teflon players revered and rarely criticized (except for high school league games back in the day) and Andrews has achieved that status as well - although for whatever reason Diego Fagundes is either ignored or as a child was criticized (see 3 maybe?)
          7. There is little redemption here. Once a player or coach falls from favor everyone piles on. Now I have been around this world long enough to actually believe a couple of the coaches "deserve" it (albeit not from anonymous posters) - but never a child.
          8. Facts are rarely sought out. Each post containing "facts" is treated as truth and responded to in that way (Perspective being one of the few who actually looks at the underlying assumptions.)

Comment

If viewers triple whatever they think my perception is they will get into the ballpark of what these folks have done here on TS...the same folks who must laugh all the way to the bank everyday knowing that they have done what they have done (and continue to do) without being fully called out after all of these years up to the present. There is no end to their mayhem..... but it can all be traced easily enough if one wants to do so. When someone recently admitted "you're damn right I pushed back," that might be called the gross understatement of the year. One of the very favorite tactics has been to start threads like this one here and the ones linked, and then in a continual "who me?" thespian production state over and over (and over) that they are only very innocently raising questions, and what in the world could possibly be more fair and legitimate than asking fair questions. I wonder just how many threads started with this MO. 50? 75? 100? More than a 100? I think I have a project for today.
            I can't imagine what you'll do when you phase out of kids soccer. I worry for you. There is very little value in what you do currently. Exposing anyone, for anything, on a niche site for soccer obsessed, delusional parents is the definition of insanity. Take a vacation.

Comment

I can't imagine what you'll do when you phase out of kids soccer. I worry for you. There is very little value in what you do currently. Exposing anyone, for anything, on a niche site for soccer obsessed, delusional parents is the definition of insanity. Take a vacation.
              So how come you didn't post something similar in response to the first few posts of this thread or any of the other many thousands of further mayhem efforts? And, thank you, but I've just finished my vacation. I'm as fully energized and ready to go as any 83 year old woman can be.

Comment

I agree with some that Perspective says (not all) and do appreciate he has the energy to go back through the forums and never takes what another poster says at face value. He exhausts me with the volume he writes - much as BTDT did when he was still posting as himself.

As the parent of soccer players of different ages and genders, I have been all over this forum since well before the 2009 apparent "high point". It got so bad that I have at times signed in in order to report particularly nasty threads to moderators. I have in the past managed to get entire threads deleted. No one seems to do this anymore and I am on so infrequently now I just skip the nasty stuff. There were some very intelligent posters who added a lot to the discussion but they are now gone. Based on what I read they are gone completely - not just underground.

These are my general impressions that follow-

1. Each year it gets nastier than it was before
                2. Postings relating to girls/women seem worse than those relating to boys/men
                3. There is evidence of racism or at least xenophobia in the treatment of players of color or different heritages. (Hint:use of the word thug seems to be a give away)
                4. Back in the day coaches did post. I am not sure they do anymore despite the frequent accusations. They look at things differently and talk about the game differently than the posts here usually do.
                5. Except for the few posts about central mass high school soccer - the race towards women's college soccer seems to bring up the most rancor. I have never understood this as it seems like such an individual thing.
                6. The Mewises have been for the most part teflon players revered and rarely criticized (except for high school league games back in the day) and Andrews has achieved that status as well - although for whatever reason Diego Fagundes is either ignored or as a child was criticized (see 3 maybe?)
                7. There is little redemption here. Once a player or coach falls from favor everyone piles on. Now I have been around this world long enough to actually believe a couple of the coaches "deserve" it (albeit not from anonymous posters) - but never a child.
                8. Facts are rarely sought out. Each post containing "facts" is treated as truth and responded to in that way (Perspective being one of the few who actually looks at the underlying assumptions.)
                I agree with you about the racism, but the lack of focus/interest in the boys is more than that. In addition to Diego, Will Packwood (ironically the same year....2011...as the wonder class on the girls side) arguably has accomplished as much or more than the Mewis girls. He has started for the first team at Birmingham FC (a year after breaking his leg in a FA Cup tilt), and he has been called into recent MNT camps just months before the World Cup. As a Mass product, you won't find his parents stirring up trouble on TS or even looking for attention. That's more typical of parents of true superstars. DAP also has become nothing more than a blip on TS. This likely is related to the high school thing, which is not to say DAP made the wrong decision, but in terms of local interest it's not even a close call. The Eastern Mass high school threads are hugely popular each year. The same is to some extent happening with the ECNL teams...they are mostly out of sight, out of mind, except for the bizarre obsessive interest in these clubs by a few.

Comment

I agree with you about the racism, but the lack of focus/interest in the boys is more than that. In addition to Diego, Will Packwood (ironically the same year....2011...as the wonder class on the girls side) arguably has accomplished as much or more than the Mewis girls. He has started for the first team at Birmingham FC (a year after breaking his leg in a FA Cup tilt), and he has been called into recent MNT camps just months before the World Cup. As a Mass product, you won't find his parents stirring up trouble on TS or even looking for attention. That's more typical of parents of true superstars. DAP also has become nothing more than a blip on TS. This likely is related to the high school thing, which is not to say DAP made the wrong decision, but in terms of local interest it's not even a close call. The Eastern Mass high school threads are hugely popular each year. The same is to some extent happening with the ECNL teams...they are mostly out of sight, out of mind, except for the bizarre obsessive interest in these clubs by a few.
                  Same poster you were responding to here - I would love to read more about Will and his ilk here. Please feel free to start a thread and I will be back more often to read.

Comment

Maybe it's me, but I really have a hard time with insinuating that the word thug is somehow racist. Maybe being in mid 40's makes me out of touch, but to me a thug is a tough person who has violent tendencies, nothing more nothing less. In HS when we played tough teams in hoop or football who were a bit dirty, we always referred to them as thugs. In the soccer context, if a player crosses the limit from playing hard to dirty, I consider them to be a thug, and always will.

How this noun was able to be hijacked by the thought police to somehow become a thinly veiled reference for people of color is beyond me. Is there a more PC word that is appropriate to use to describe dirty players (at least until our mass media tells the lemmings it is a bad word and stop using it)?

Comment

Boys soccer doesn't need attention from anonymous internet posters--they get it in the real world.

Comment

Maybe it's me, but I really have a hard time with insinuating that the word thug is somehow racist. Maybe being in mid 40's makes me out of touch, but to me a thug is a tough person who has violent tendencies, nothing more nothing less. In HS when we played tough teams in hoop or football who were a bit dirty, we always referred to them as thugs. In the soccer context, if a player crosses the limit from playing hard to dirty, I consider them to be a thug, and always will.

How this noun was able to be hijacked by the thought police to somehow become a thinly veiled reference for people of color is beyond me. Is there a more PC word that is appropriate to use to describe dirty players (at least until our mass media tells the lemmings it is a bad word and stop using it)?
                        How about dirty?

Comment

Stick to "dirty." "Thug" has become a fraught term, as you'll find if you Google "thug" and "racist." (The only time I can remember thinking of soccer players as thugs involved an all-white high school girls team, but that's neither here nor there.)

Speaking of the PC poster who brought this up, why the sniping at the Mewises? Personally I think it's fantastic that they recently became the first sisters to start a game for the U.S. national team, in the Algarve Cup. Over the years they have actually received less than their due on this forum, compared with the attention paid to Andrews and the BC players. (Not that there's anything wrong with that attention.)

Comment

Stick to "dirty." "Thug" has become a fraught term, as you'll find if you Google "thug" and "racist." (The only time I can remember thinking of soccer players as thugs involved an all-white high school girls team, but that's neither here nor there.)

Speaking of the PC poster who brought this up, why the sniping at the Mewises? Personally I think it's fantastic that they recently became the first sisters to start a game for the U.S. national team, in the Algarve Cup. Over the years they have actually received less than their due on this forum, compared with the attention paid to Andrews and the BC players. (Not that there's anything wrong with that attention.)
                            Hmmm when I hear the term thug I think of leg breakers from the mafia and therefore resembling some of the, ahem, dirty teams out there

Comment

It is funny how an intended compliment can be read by others as sniping; in reading what I wrote I can see how. That is the danger in non face-to-face communication. No offense intended to either Mewis. Great players and what I now of people. I was trying to get at the difference in the tenor of the coverage in comparison to others like DF and past coverage of Andrews.

Comment

Maybe it's me, but I really have a hard time with insinuating that the word thug is somehow racist. Maybe being in mid 40's makes me out of touch, but to me a thug is a tough person who has violent tendencies, nothing more nothing less....

How this noun was able to be hijacked by the thought police to somehow become a thinly veiled reference for people of color is beyond me.
                                Then you either haven't been paying attention or are being disingenuous. The latter appears more likely, since after claiming confusion, you abruptly conclude that "thought police" have mysteriously seized control of the word. As if usage and connotation never change.

If you simply haven't been paying attention, look up "dog-whistle politics" or "racial code words," then go to espn.com and compare how "different" athletes get treated and referred to in comments.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X