X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lemmings jumping off cliffs

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Please this is all a bit silly. If your kid is small and does not have the skill and strength then play 8v8. If your kid is a top player, they can handle 11v11.

Sorry if your kid can't manage 11v11 at u11 or the club doesn't offer it, they are either
    1. Not that good
    2. Are not strong enough
    3. The club is not a top club
    4. The club is trying to maximize profit

You can quote other soccer leagures and development systems... but we live here and if you don't follow the big guys, you get left behind.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOOs8MaR1YM

Comment

Please this is all a bit silly. If your kid is small and does not have the skill and strength then play 8v8. If your kid is a top player, they can handle 11v11.

Sorry if your kid can't manage 11v11 at u11 or the club doesn't offer it, they are either
      1. Not that good
      2. Are not strong enough
      3. The club is not a top club
      4. The club is trying to maximize profit

You can quote other soccer leagures and development systems... but we live here and if you don't follow the big guys, you get left behind.
      The following clubs play 8v8 thru U12 (they go 11v11 at U13):
      Gottschee, Albertson, Match Fit, Oakwood, Met Oval, NJSA 04.........can I stop now?

Name 1 boy's club within a 75 mile radius of where you're sitting right now that is on par with any of these.

Comment

Northeast Pre-Academy league is 8v8 THRU U12. 11v11 doesn't start until U13.

11v11 at young ages is ridiculous.
        What if all of the more competitive teams have moved up to 11v11, and there's no decent teams to compete with at 8v8? At some point, a team needs to be able to play against a team that might challenge them.

I'm not saying that 11v11 is appropriate developmentally for 10 or 11 year olds, but competition has to be a consideration.

Comment

this is such a ludicrous statement based on wrong information.
          First, NEFC has played in a U13 11 v 11 division in the Fall.
          Second, it was quite a good game with NEFC scoring only on a free kick.

Your statement might have been informative if the Stars team had won. They played 8 v 8 in NEP last fall....and came in first (4000 GS points too!!!). Now they are entering into 11 v 11 tournaments and have moved their team up to the U13 NEP as well. They lost to Valeo 3-1. Overall, I don't think there are any conclusions to be made from this result, however, if YOU were a Valeo parent you would be saying that the 8 v 8 format is not so great. Alternatively, if the Stars won, you would be telling me that 8 v 8 was great.

11 v 11 or 8 v 8 is a distant second to the coaching and how the game is played. I watched a number of games this weekend at Taunton and saw some U12 teams pass the ball quite a bit with all the kids getting many touches....Valeo, Explosion, NEFC were included in this group. All have been playing 11 v 11. All have good coaches.
          so regarding U11s playing 11 v 11 - how does one know if the coach is "good" ? Let's assume they *are advanced players - as the gold division players at preseason.... it seems like a lot more cardio and endurance than actual technique and ball development no matter how talented they are.... what is to be gained ? experience for U12 in the fall is the only gain to be seen. As far as that's concerned, if the club is concerned with development over winning , why not focus on the best environment for development?

Comment

'many' is a vague answer and the equivalent to when people quote the very prolific research group 'they' who are often referred to as 'they say'.

When I read about different opinions and see different age groups playing 6 v 6 (U10 and younger), 8 v 8 (U11... and +/- U12), 9 v 9 (U12....+/- U13) and 11 v 11 (50% of U12 and almost all U13....) is evident that the answer is not truly or fully known, or perhaps appreciated.

As I have said, it really comes down to how the coach runs the team and trains the players. I have no doubt that the better the coach, the less it matters whether or not a U12 team (currently the most debated age group in the US....or so 'they say') plays 11 v 11 or 8 v 8. A couple of interesting examples are clubs that provide a mix of game playing experience. Explosion, Valeo, NEFC (top U12 team), Stars (top U12 team) have, so far this year played a mix of small sided (5 v 5, 7 v 7, 8 v 8) and full sided (11 v 11) games. I watched these teams at the NEFC tournament and watched some very very nice play with the kids getting many controlled touches on the ball and pretty nicely executed team play i.e. no kick and run ball.

In my mind (whatever is left as I age) it is yet to be determined what to do at these intermediate age groups, but the coach is the most important variable regardless. Perhaps a mix of game play formats is better than any one specific one.

The simple fact of the matter is that very few sports have children playing on an adult sized field. It has nothing to do with development. The field is designed for adults, most of whom cannot run a full match or even struggle to utilize the full width of the pitch. Even big,strong kids cannot pass the ball effectively much more than 20 yards, not to mention the insanity of having to cover box to box.
            It is a farce that should be eliminated and it is only the old school traditionalists and club owners who feel otherwise. (And look where that has got us).
            The fact of your comment and that of others (especially the one calling someone a 'tool') is that you have only presented opinion....and not real fact or data on development. I do like the comment that, physically, many at U11 are not ready. I can agree with that. At what age will they be ready?? My comment above and an earlier one asked a different question and for information not provided as of yet.

1. It was stated that Spain, France, and Italy are playing small sided games until U13/U14. I asked about the other 17 countries in the top 20 and the only response was 'many'. I don't know the answer to this but would be interested.

2. I described the plan for 4 of the current top U12 teams in Massachusetts; NEFC, Stars, Explosion, and Valeo. Each of these teams, during their U12 year, have been involved in a mix of play configurations from 5 v 5 to 11 v 11. I got to see them play 11 v 11 this past weekend and it was good soccer. Physically, the kids handled it just fine, because of their passing game and control. The Valeo team had very few subs and therefore, there was quite a bit of on-field experience and play for the kids. There was less kick and run than any of the older age groups. I know as a fact that, throughout the region and country most club's U12-A teams are playing 11 v 11. Are you telling me, based on some fact, that this is retarding their development?

My major complaint about the 11 v 11 field for U12 is that they use an adult goal. I would prefer to see them use an 8 v 8 goal.

My complaint about how 8 v 8 is handled is the following:
            1. A goal kick or goalie punt is well past half field increasing the chance of kick and run soccer.
            2. On the smaller field, the slow/heavy/out of shape kid playing forward can have an advantage. The field is small enough that all he has to do is turn with the ball and he/she is in shooting range.

Certainly, if the games were handled like some great Futsal games that I have seen with quick passing, or how the NEP handles its U10 6 v 6 with the first pass from the goalie to go unhindered to a defenseman who is allowed to start the play, then, I agree about the benefit of small sided games. However, if, as I have said, the club gives the kids on the U12 team a nice mix of small sided and full sided game play then please, based on fact, explain to me why that is not a good thing.....especially with a good coach, which I still feel has the greatest impact of all.

Comment

'many' is a vague answer and the equivalent to when people quote the very prolific research group 'they' who are often referred to as 'they say'.

When I read about different opinions and see different age groups playing 6 v 6 (U10 and younger), 8 v 8 (U11... and +/- U12), 9 v 9 (U12....+/- U13) and 11 v 11 (50% of U12 and almost all U13....) is evident that the answer is not truly or fully known, or perhaps appreciated.

As I have said, it really comes down to how the coach runs the team and trains the players. I have no doubt that the better the coach, the less it matters whether or not a U12 team (currently the most debated age group in the US....or so 'they say') plays 11 v 11 or 8 v 8. A couple of interesting examples are clubs that provide a mix of game playing experience. Explosion, Valeo, NEFC (top U12 team), Stars (top U12 team) have, so far this year played a mix of small sided (5 v 5, 7 v 7, 8 v 8) and full sided (11 v 11) games. I watched these teams at the NEFC tournament and watched some very very nice play with the kids getting many controlled touches on the ball and pretty nicely executed team play i.e. no kick and run ball.

In my mind (whatever is left as I age) it is yet to be determined what to do at these intermediate age groups, but the coach is the most important variable regardless. Perhaps a mix of game play formats is better than any one specific one.

The fact of your comment and that of others (especially the one calling someone a 'tool') is that you have only presented opinion....and not real fact or data on development. I do like the comment that, physically, many at U11 are not ready. I can agree with that. At what age will they be ready?? My comment above and an earlier one asked a different question and for information not provided as of yet.

1. It was stated that Spain, France, and Italy are playing small sided games until U13/U14. I asked about the other 17 countries in the top 20 and the only response was 'many'. I don't know the answer to this but would be interested.

2. I described the plan for 4 of the current top U12 teams in Massachusetts; NEFC, Stars, Explosion, and Valeo. Each of these teams, during their U12 year, have been involved in a mix of play configurations from 5 v 5 to 11 v 11. I got to see them play 11 v 11 this past weekend and it was good soccer. Physically, the kids handled it just fine, because of their passing game and control. The Valeo team had very few subs and therefore, there was quite a bit of on-field experience and play for the kids. There was less kick and run than any of the older age groups. I know as a fact that, throughout the region and country most club's U12-A teams are playing 11 v 11. Are you telling me, based on some fact, that this is retarding their development?

My major complaint about the 11 v 11 field for U12 is that they use an adult goal. I would prefer to see them use an 8 v 8 goal.

1. A goal kick or goalie punt is well past half field increasing the chance of kick and run soccer.
              2. On the smaller field, the slow/heavy/out of shape kid playing forward can have an advantage. The field is small enough that all he has to do is turn with the ball and he/she is in shooting range.

Certainly, if the games were handled like some great Futsal games that I have seen with quick passing, or how the NEP handles its U10 6 v 6 with the first pass from the goalie to go unhindered to a defenseman who is allowed to start the play, then, I agree about the benefit of small sided games. However, if, as I have said, the club gives the kids on the U12 team a nice mix of small sided and full sided game play then please, based on fact, explain to me why that is not a good thing.....especially with a good coach, which I still feel has the greatest impact of all.
              u11 thread - avg size = 4'6" avg age =10.7 avg weight = 80lbs

the kids you are describing, u12s are avg size= 5'5" avg age = 11.7 avg wt=115 lbs = none is discussing 11v11 at u12 on this thread

Comment

It seems that at U11, playing 12 v 12 on a 11 v 11 size field might solve alot of these problems.

Comment

It seems that at U11, playing 12 v 12 on a 11 v 11 size field might solve alot of these problems.
                  I cannot believe I just read this. God Bless you.

Comment

You are going in the wrong direction. Development at U11 and under is all about "touches" in practice and in game situations. That's the reason why US Youth Soccer on down strongly suggest short sided games and practices. At U11 and under, the focus for development should be technical.

Comment

What if all of the more competitive teams have moved up to 11v11, and there's no decent teams to compete with at 8v8? At some point, a team needs to be able to play against a team that might challenge them.

I'm not saying that 11v11 is appropriate developmentally for 10 or 11 year olds, but competition has to be a consideration.
                      Competition has no place in this discussion.
                      This argument should be whether or not 10yr old boys or girls are physically capable of playing on an adult field.
                      They are not.

Comment

I cannot believe I just read this. God Bless you.
                        How about we add height and weight limits to age groups like Pop Warner Football. That would discourage the early bloomers from being superstars on 8v8 fields.

I do like the idea of the 8v8 nets on the 11v11 field.

Comment

excellent. hope the good coaches take note

Comment

Living vicariously doesn't mean clubs have to endorse

And to the person who mentioned clubs would want the bigger game at the younger ages because of money, well, maybe, but if any party is guilty of caring more about winning, than simply being competitive regardless of the result, never mind individual development, it's the parents.
                            clubs need to stop this constant delusion that parents want to watch their kids win at all costs. kids are dropped off in math class, music lessons and all the extra curricular activities just fine without the parents hovering and reverting themselves to 10 year olds. grow a pair and close training and games instead of hyping the same old system. provide sufficient feedback for the $ you take. keep tournaments at end of year, or preseason to create enthusiasm and interest.

the change begins with "u" clubs

CLOSE the doors!!! provide feedback, not weekly coliseum matches. That's what's best for development.

sorry, i forgot i was in usa

Comment

OMG man. We are talking about u11 here. Let me guess your kid plays U12 and she passed the ball five times this past weekend on the BIG girls field. This thread is about 10.5 year olds running a full field like Bob Crafts boys! Get it now.

At u11 the games that are 11v11 games are not that fun for the kids it looks like. Half the touches and really exhausting for their little bodies. IMO

Comment

I'll be right back guys, gotta go drop my 6 yr old off at 10th grade. I'm going to let her drive too.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X