Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Im not sure if a good coach should be trying to stop anything. More likely a good coach would be more subtle about it and look to get improvement in this area rather than flat out try and stop a behavior that was allowed many times over prior to arriving with the Revs to get coached. Some do it because they still think they can but must realize it doesn't work anymore however others dribble with their heads down and dont give themselves any other option. The best team isn't always the most talented but it will always have the best soccer players.
    This discussion wouldn't even be happening if all the talented 97s who play on the Revs U18 team played U16. The Revs would be a dominant squad, with a NT-caliber GK, an impenetrable back line, and potent scoring options up top. All of a sudden, the coaching would be a non-issue. It's only an issue now because the Revs follow closely the DAP mandate to play talented players up an age group when possible.

Comment

This discussion wouldn't even be happening if all the talented 97s who play on the Revs U18 team played U16. The Revs would be a dominant squad, with a NT-caliber GK, an impenetrable back line, and potent scoring options up top. All of a sudden, the coaching would be a non-issue. It's only an issue now because the Revs follow closely the DAP mandate to play talented players up an age group when possible.
      Thank You!!! Game results are not the end all to soccer development.

Comment

And that's precisely why this discussion is happening. You would be hard-pressed to find another academy team that has as many 97s playing for their U18 team or as many 99s playing for their U16 team as the Revs do. Do you really believe that we have THAT much talent in the 97 & 99 age groups in this area?

Comment

And that's precisely why this discussion is happening. You would be hard-pressed to find another academy team that has as many 97s playing for their U18 team or as many 99s playing for their U16 team as the Revs do. Do you really believe that we have THAT much talent in the 97 & 99 age groups in this area?
          By my unofficial tally, the Red Bulls have had 9 different 97s suit up for the U18s and 2 different 99s play for the U16s so far this year. It's hard to argue that the Revs players who have "played up" have not produced in the older age groups.

Comment

By my unofficial tally, the Red Bulls have had 9 different 97s suit up for the U18s and 2 different 99s play for the U16s so far this year. It's hard to argue that the Revs players who have "played up" have not produced in the older age groups.
            Really …???!!! You are making a comparison of the #1 Ranked U15/16 team and the #3 Ranked U17/18 team in the country ( per the current DAP standings) to the #31 ranked non-wildcard u15/16 team and the #18 ranked u17/18 team. Big difference in programs and big difference in pool of players to choose from ( NYC tri-state area vs New England).

Comment

Really …???!!! You are making a comparison of the #1 Ranked U15/16 team and the #3 Ranked U17/18 team in the country ( per the current DAP standings) to the #31 ranked non-wildcard u15/16 team and the #18 ranked u17/18 team. Big difference in programs and big difference in pool of players to choose from ( NYC tri-state area vs New England).
              You asked: "You would be hard-pressed to find another academy team that has as many 97s playing for their U18 team." I simply answered your question. And, for the record, the Revs beat the Red Bulls 18s.

Comment

Instead of the consistent players that play up on their respective teams why don't you give us what the starting 11 15/16 should look like from your perspective that would make the team unstoppable.

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;1231389] And, for the record, the Revs beat the Red Bulls 18s.

The 18's have a small squad compared to the 16's and 14's. A squad that allows for team chemistry and also not a lot of players that can't make a significant contribution to the team. This might be the way the Revs approach development. Have a large pool of players at the 14's and 16's see how they develop - give the better (in the coaching staff's opinion) a chance to play up see how they do. Then come U18 the squad is down to 18-20 players, It's not possible to develop team chemistry with a revolving door for the 16's. That could be there approach by intention?

Comment

Don't want to drag you guys back into the 10month debate again, as I find the playing-up debate interesting, but I didn't see this interesting review of the topic, featuring some insight from Tony Lepore, discussed....

http://www.ussoccerplayers.com/2014/...ol-soccer.html

Oh, and I do like the Bolts hooped kit as well....

Good luck with the rest of the season!

Comment

By my unofficial tally, the Red Bulls have had 9 different 97s suit up for the U18s and 2 different 99s play for the U16s so far this year.
                      Those you've tallied for Red Bulls are guest players, not permanent fixtures. Big difference. Show me another academy with as many permanent fixtures.

Comment

Those you've tallied for Red Bulls are guest players, not permanent fixtures. Big difference. Show me another academy with as many permanent fixtures.
                        Academy doesn't have "guest players."

Comment

DAP or not so bust

The Bolts DAP teams are weak and the Revs are not too much better.
                          Is this because they are playing the best of the best of the best, or has the DAP level of play taken a step down in Massachusetts and the Northeast?
                          Are the better players staying with their original clubs and/or moving on to NEFC, MPS, Stars, and Blazers?? Is there a chance that parents have realized that the DAP may not be worthwhile for the majority of kids playing?

Currently, there are about 18 different leagues across the country within the NPL. Why play DAP if you can play in one of these leagues or even your regional leagues?

Comment

Is this because they are playing the best of the best of the best, or has the DAP level of play taken a step down in Massachusetts and the Northeast?
                            Are the better players staying with their original clubs and/or moving on to NEFC, MPS, Stars, and Blazers?? Is there a chance that parents have realized that the DAP may not be worthwhile for the majority of kids playing?

Currently, there are about 18 different leagues across the country within the NPL. Why play DAP if you can play in one of these leagues or even your regional leagues?

I would not say the teams are weak. They are very good, with very good players. Unfortunately, soccer in this state has never matched up to many of the other programs. Pre DAP we struggled to make it through the National Cup competitions with most teams crashing at the regional level. It is historically a Massachusetts thing...

Comment

How one could conclude the DAP is weak in Massachusetts and the Northeast is beyond me. The Northeast division boasts two of the country's top performing clubs, the New York Red Bulls and Albertson (the latter of which was one of only two clubs in the country to land berths in Finals Week last year at both U16 and U18). The Revs 18s, who made Finals Week last year, are on track for a return to the playoffs, and the Revs 14s are second only to the Red Bulls in the Northeast at this point in the season. The Bolts 18s have been competitive in every game this year and, were it not for some untimely injuries to top players, would surely be in contention for a playoff spot (the Bolts 16s made the playoffs last year). I don't think there is a shortage of top players who want to play for the Bolts and the Revs.

Comment

How one could conclude the DAP is weak in Massachusetts and the Northeast is beyond me. The Northeast division boasts two of the country's top performing clubs, the New York Red Bulls and Albertson (the latter of which was one of only two clubs in the country to land berths in Finals Week last year at both U16 and U18). The Revs 18s, who made Finals Week last year, are on track for a return to the playoffs, and the Revs 14s are second only to the Red Bulls in the Northeast at this point in the season. The Bolts 18s have been competitive in every game this year and, were it not for some untimely injuries to top players, would surely be in contention for a playoff spot (the Bolts 16s made the playoffs last year). I don't think there is a shortage of top players who want to play for the Bolts and the Revs.

My comment was a generalization. To take some of it back, the Red Bulls have been a very consistent and top ranked club on all age groups. Albertson has been so in the last year, but not nearly as consistent prior to that. Otherwise, the rest of the teams in the Northeast Division of the Eastern Conference have not been consistent. This division does not include PDA or DC United. For the older age group, I do wonder how well the DAP teams would play against a Smithtown or Manhattan team....if you were to match them either by year of birth or school year. I would be curious to seen how the Mass Teams play against NEFC or the Blazers, the former from which many DAP players have come from.

Perhaps, I am looking at the question in the wrong way. I have seen the DAP players and they are very good. Perhaps the issue is not so much the players but the coaching. Regardless, they do not perform consistently at a top level......except the Red Bulls.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X