Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Revolution Running Town Program?

New to TS--I come in peace and from the perspective of someone with kids who will probably never get invited to join any sort of remotely elite soccer team--just playing to compete and have some fun.

Does anyone have experience with a town program run by the Revolution? The town I live in has such a program, and I can't really figure out what to think.

My son and daughter are involved in lower-tier teams and it seems as if the coaches have little autonomy (they are supposed to stick to a manual with drills that will help 'develop' them as players) and are not able to tailor the practices to what the team needs.

Is this kind of thing common in towns that hire outside groups to run their programs?

it's a joke. don't bother.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      New to TS--I come in peace and from the perspective of someone with kids who will probably never get invited to join any sort of remotely elite soccer team--just playing to compete and have some fun.

Does anyone have experience with a town program run by the Revolution? The town I live in has such a program, and I can't really figure out what to think.

My son and daughter are involved in lower-tier teams and it seems as if the coaches have little autonomy (they are supposed to stick to a manual with drills that will help 'develop' them as players) and are not able to tailor the practices to what the team needs.

Is this kind of thing common in towns that hire outside groups to run their programs?
      What does the team need that they are unable to provide?

Comment

The Revolution and MPS have been doing this sort of thing for years. What you get is slightly better coaches without all the usual political BS that comes with having some dad pick all of their kid's friends for a team. The trade off is commitment. The club coaches that work in this sort of program are usually spread pretty thin and never really get to know the kids like a typical team coach. For a lot of towns this actually represents a step up in quality though so it all depends upon what your town offers and where you want to go with your child's soccer. As far as the training agenda goes, that is the US Soccer (the governing body of all soccer in the US) mindset at work. You are supposed see the same sort of agenda in all the higher level soccer programs like DAP (which the Revs are a part of) so seeing it in their entry level programming is completely natural.

Comment

Your town has made a good decision. The Revs will provide your child's coach with a proven curriculum that will help to develop the technical foundation and improve individually. I would be a happy dad if I saw the sessions that they run being implemented on the training field. If your concerned about your child learning where they, and their team mates need to be on the field, don't worry about it at U5-10. After 10 they will pick it up naturally. The 12 and up age is when most will start to understand shape of team and formations. Then they will start to be able to string more passes together, and recognize direction of play, angle support, and start seeing the field better. This is the time to find a coach that can develop your childs tactical IQ. Staying in a town program, with commitment to curriculum and individual ball skill, is exactly what you want if you think your child is not ready or good enough for the Elite teams. Do as much as they offer, and you will see improvement, and possibly put them in position for a good club team, with a good coach and soccer IQ to teach the game to them at the older ages. Most parents and players see winning and loosing as the litmus test for young players. It's like anything. You need to master the physical/technical side of the game, before you will be able to understand the tactical. Players can't make good tactical decisions, if they are hopping they are not going to screw up receiving, passing, dribbling, or shooting. Being able to just react, and not think is the goal. If the technical/physical has been stressed throughout the younger ages, this will allow you as an older player to concentrate on where to move and when to move, and at what pace. Plus recognizing space to attack, and creating space without the ball for other players.My advice would be to do as much as you can through your town/revs at the 5-12 ages. Trust me if your child focuses on their skills with the ball, someone will want them to play for their club and team at 13. That's when you want to pick the right coach/club.

Comment

Your town has made a good decision. The Revs will provide your child's coach with a proven curriculum that will help to develop the technical foundation and improve individually. I would be a happy dad if I saw the sessions that they run being implemented on the training field. If your concerned about your child learning where they, and their team mates need to be on the field, don't worry about it at U5-10. After 10 they will pick it up naturally. The 12 and up age is when most will start to understand shape of team and formations. Then they will start to be able to string more passes together, and recognize direction of play, angle support, and start seeing the field better. This is the time to find a coach that can develop your childs tactical IQ. Staying in a town program, with commitment to curriculum and individual ball skill, is exactly what you want if you think your child is not ready or good enough for the Elite teams. Do as much as they offer, and you will see improvement, and possibly put them in position for a good club team, with a good coach and soccer IQ to teach the game to them at the older ages. Most parents and players see winning and loosing as the litmus test for young players. It's like anything. You need to master the physical/technical side of the game, before you will be able to understand the tactical. Players can't make good tactical decisions, if they are hopping they are not going to screw up receiving, passing, dribbling, or shooting. Being able to just react, and not think is the goal. If the technical/physical has been stressed throughout the younger ages, this will allow you as an older player to concentrate on where to move and when to move, and at what pace. Plus recognizing space to attack, and creating space without the ball for other players.My advice would be to do as much as you can through your town/revs at the 5-12 ages. Trust me if your child focuses on their skills with the ball, someone will want them to play for their club and team at 13. That's when you want to pick the right coach/club.
            We have been in a similar program. The coaches pretty much do whatever they feel like. These are the lowest level coaches. They is no "curriculum". Even at RDS, similar deal, it depends who you get for a coach.

Comment

We have been in a similar program. The coaches pretty much do whatever they feel like. These are the lowest level coaches. They is no "curriculum". Even at RDS, similar deal, it depends who you get for a coach.
              Well that's not good news! Fact is the revs and MPS have established curriculums, and are given to the town coaches to follow. If the town coaches are not following, then I would be speaking up. I do get what you're saying. I would try to find out if it's the director of the program, from the revs or MPS, isn't following through and communicating with the coaches. Y experience is that it's usually a combo of a bad Director, and no accountability for the coaches. Good luck! When it's done right, it works well for the town teams.

Comment

Well that's not good news! Fact is the revs and MPS have established curriculums, and are given to the town coaches to follow. If the town coaches are not following, then I would be speaking up. I do get what you're saying. I would try to find out if it's the director of the program, from the revs or MPS, isn't following through and communicating with the coaches. Y experience is that it's usually a combo of a bad Director, and no accountability for the coaches. Good luck! When it's done right, it works well for the town teams.
                Revs or MPS (or getting a full time Director of Coaching) all can work. But you have to have parent coaches who are going to put in the time and effort. If not time to look elsewhere. It is very hard to keep a good town program running, it might be working well a couple of years and then not for a couple. A couple of issues are
                1. The best coaches don't want to coach town kids
                2. Parents don't want to spend the time coaching after U9 or U10.

Comment

Our REVS Town Director makes something like $30,000 for the year. We have better coaches in the town that did this for free over the past 5 years but becasue he had the backing of the REVS they forced out the coaches that were more qualified than him. Our program is going to go backwords instead of forwards with him in charge.

Comment

I am a town U-little coach in a program like this. This is the first time I have been involved in this type structure and have coached U-little teams many times the "normal" way. It has only been 3 weeks but I must say I have a negative impression of it so far. It seems that the coach has been reduced to a team organizer. Get your team together, warm them up for a few minutes then the club coach will take these 25 kindergarten kids and run the real practice for an hour and then you get them back for 15 minutes of implementation. I think the expectations of the club coach are way too high and it is frustrating for the kids and when game day comes very few if any of the skills covered at the practice are visible on the field. For the town it may be a good way to cull the herd even sooner but in my experience not all these "superstars" at U-little are all that at U15.

Comment

Our REVS Town Director makes something like $30,000 for the year. We have better coaches in the town that did this for free over the past 5 years but becasue he had the backing of the REVS they forced out the coaches that were more qualified than him. Our program is going to go backwords instead of forwards with him in charge.
                      Wemouth?

Comment

The inmates aren't running the asylum anymore. I know that must bug you. It's for the better. Turnover is a natural and healthy process.

Comment

Sorry JM.....too bad he doesn't control the HS coaches too. Sour grapes.

Comment

Wemouth?
                            Weymouth has some decent teams. I can't see a Revs partnership damaging that if that's what this discussion is about.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                            Auto-Saved
                            x
                            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                            x
                            Working...
                            X