Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I imagine any OYSA member club could have the OYSA registrar send out same for their club. Big deal.
    Well...I think it's a bit of an ethical slippery slope. Westside is using OYSA resources (their email list) to reach out to players from other clubs in an attempt to convince families to leave those other clubs and play for Westside.

Isn't OYSA supposed to be the neutral governing body for OREGON youth soccer (as opposed to Westside or Timbers Alliance clubs only)?

Did Westside pay to access this list? I didn't receive the email (likely because I don't live in PDX area), but if I did, I would have some strong opinions about OYSA selling my contact info.

Or did OYSA provide this for free to Westside? Again I would have strong opinions about my contact info being given out for mass marketing. I specifically use a "spam" email account for signing up to places that I think will share my contact info. I didn't do this with OYSA because I never thought they would do something like that.

Finally, if OYSA is truly neutral, do they have to offer/provide this service to every club? Will the PDX families get a dozen or more sales pitch emails like this?

Comment

Well...I think it's a bit of an ethical slippery slope. Westside is using OYSA resources (their email list) to reach out to players from other clubs in an attempt to convince families to leave those other clubs and play for Westside.

Isn't OYSA supposed to be the neutral governing body for OREGON youth soccer (as opposed to Westside or Timbers Alliance clubs only)?

Did Westside pay to access this list? I didn't receive the email (likely because I don't live in PDX area), but if I did, I would have some strong opinions about OYSA selling my contact info.

Or did OYSA provide this for free to Westside? Again I would have strong opinions about my contact info being given out for mass marketing. I specifically use a "spam" email account for signing up to places that I think will share my contact info. I didn't do this with OYSA because I never thought they would do something like that.

Finally, if OYSA is truly neutral, do they have to offer/provide this service to every club? Will the PDX families get a dozen or more sales pitch emails like this?
      Oh, here we go with the "Slippery Slope" guy. Seriously, it was a flyer announcing tryouts...that's it. It's called advertising, you should look it up sometime.

All clubs have tryouts at the same time. And you have all been playing in the same damn league, so it is not like you aren't aware of each other.

I don't even have a kid at Westside and I wasn't offended by it. Who cares, really.

Comment

Oh, here we go with the "Slippery Slope" guy. Seriously, it was a flyer announcing tryouts...that's it. It's called advertising, you should look it up sometime.

All clubs have tryouts at the same time. And you have all been playing in the same damn league, so it is not like you aren't aware of each other.

I don't even have a kid at Westside and I wasn't offended by it. Who cares, really.
        I'm not a guy. And if you are fine with the allegedly neutral OYSA using their resources to support one club over another, more power to you. Many of us are not ok with that. One thing you might consider since this doesn't bother you is what WOULD bother you. A flyer listing reasons why Westside is better than the club you are currently with? Emails going out offering discounts to kids who leave other clubs for Westside? I'm asking because if OYSA will do this to elevate one club over others, what else might they do? And who can stop them or at least hold them accountable to be the neutral body they are supposed to be? But hey if you aren't bothered by it I guess all is good.

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2037622]Well...I think it's a bit of an ethical slippery slope. Westside is using OYSA resources (their email list) to reach out to players from other clubs in an attempt to convince families to leave those other clubs and play for Westside.

Finally, if OYSA is truly neutral, do they have to offer/provide this service to every club? Will the PDX families get a dozen or more sales pitch emails like this?[/QUOTE

Oh no, you haven't a clue do you?

All clubs have access to lists of players via your state association. When you register kids you submit your names to OYSA. The same happens in every. single state. OYSA then charges for mailed lists. Clubs can pay for lists or have OYSA direct mail. Same thing for the 2-person operation who are hired by different clubs who slam people with emails to enter tournaments. One of those persons is listed as running the state cup schedule.

Re-direct your complaints to OYSA. Ask your cub too as they buy these lists too.

Comment

I'm not a guy. And if you are fine with the allegedly neutral OYSA using their resources to support one club over another, more power to you. Many of us are not ok with that. One thing you might consider since this doesn't bother you is what WOULD bother you. A flyer listing reasons why Westside is better than the club you are currently with? Emails going out offering discounts to kids who leave other clubs for Westside? I'm asking because if OYSA will do this to elevate one club over others, what else might they do? And who can stop them or at least hold them accountable to be the neutral body they are supposed to be? But hey if you aren't bothered by it I guess all is good.
            Your club could also pay OYSA for a mailing trumpeting the professional players it has produced in the past twenty years.

(That is, if there are any. Unless your club is Eastside for boys, or FC or THUSC for girls, I doubt it).

Comment

Get Informed First

As it has been said. This service is available to all Clubs that are members of OYSA. It is not free. The names and emails are not shared by OYSA with the clubs using this service. OYSA sends the email on behalf of the clubs. If you Club did not avail itself of this marketing opportunity... It is their choice!!!

Seems like Westside was a step ahead of some clubs. Find something else to complain about...call OYSA and get an explanation... otherwise have a great day :)

Comment

How dare any club spend on advertising through the platform of OYSA!!

shame on you:

THUSC
                WST
                PCU
                Aloha
                Clackamas United
                NEU/FC
                &
                Oregon Trail

https://issuu.com/oryouthsoccer/docs...17_tryout_edit

Comment

shame on you:

THUSC
                  WST
                  PCU
                  Aloha
                  Clackamas United
                  NEU/FC
                  &
                  Oregon Trail

****in Oregon Trail they make me so angry!

Comment

shame on you:

THUSC
                    WST
                    PCU
                    Aloha
                    Clackamas United
                    NEU/FC
                    &
                    Oregon Trail

THUSC still exists? Who knew.

Comment

My only issue with the email (yes, I received and my DD plays for a different team) is it looks terrible. Looks cheap. Bad first intro to the club.

Comment

My only issue with the email (yes, I received and my DD plays for a different team) is it looks terrible. Looks cheap. Bad first intro to the club.
                        Obviously, you've never visited the WT website.

Lets just say the club chooses to spend its money on things other than web design...

Comment

OYSA isn't neutral. They work for the Timbers and will do anything they are told to do by the Timbers organization.

Comment

Nothing any of us can do about it. The Timbers run everything except Ecnl

Comment

Nothing any of us can do about it. The Timbers run everything except Ecnl
                              There is lots that could be done. All non-Timbers clubs should simply break away from OYSA and form their own league again. Let the TA clubs rot.

Comment

There is lots that could be done. All non-Timbers clubs should simply break away from OYSA and form their own league again. Let the TA clubs rot.
                                Or you could slip OYSA a few benjamins, and they'll happily distribute your club's marketing literature too!

Is there anything you won't whine about, and won't accuse of being a conspiracy?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X