Tryout Etiquette

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most of how you handle this would depend on your goals for soccer. Is your kid trying to play in college? Is this just for fun?

Comment

we had one club that tried to lock us down like we were buying a used car. If we didn't accept by "Friday at 5pm" the "offer was off the table". This being a couple of days after tryouts. It was GD ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        we had one club that tried to lock us down like we were buying a used car. If we didn't accept by "Friday at 5pm" the "offer was off the table". This being a couple of days after tryouts. It was GD ridiculous.

Last year my kid tried out at CFC, FSA and Sporting and they ALL gave us a 48 hour deadline after they offered.

Comment

Last year my kid tried out at CFC, FSA and Sporting and they ALL gave us a 48 hour deadline after they offered.
          these clubs are something else, aren't they? LOL Our 48 was from a smaller club. I made them wait 4 days before giving our answer, I won't be bullied like that.

Comment

I don't think it is bullying, it's the club looking out for its best interest. If you are a bubble player, the longer the roster takes to be finalized, the longer you are hanging out there, and that's not great either.

Comment

I don't think it is bullying, it's the club looking out for its best interest. If you are a bubble player, the longer the roster takes to be finalized, the longer you are hanging out there, and that's not great either.
              I understand the business end of the club - but the language used was bullying.

Comment

these clubs are something else, aren't they? LOL Our 48 was from a smaller club. I made them wait 4 days before giving our answer, I won't be bullied like that.
                Parents are never happy. If they try to lock in their first choice of kids, clubs are bullies. If the club gets stuck with their second or third choices for certain positions and the team suffers, the club sucks. This is the reality of tryouts.

This is nothing against OP as you seem new to the game. But for those who don't want to pressured into a decision, get your kid to some practices and some have conversations. Cattle call tryout rarely work out for the club or the kid. Practices give both player and coach much more to base the possibility of a relationship on.

Comment

You can probably wait at a smaller club. With high level teams kids are waiting in the wings. The more competitive it is, the harder that deadline. In the end, coaches actually hope that a kid wants to play for them. It means something

Comment

Delay the orginal as long as you can. Last year we accepted the first offer for my daughter, and then really regretted it. Whether your kid is a stud or not, find some excuse not to sign with anyone until you've looked at all your options. Let me tell you, it's been a hell of a long year with this club (and it's a big club, established).

Overall, I'd say go where your kid feels comfortable and the coaching is good. Many people will tell you the big clubs are the only way to go, and that advice is reasonable as far as stability. But you and your kid have to be happy too. I would stick with Oakwood, FSA, CFC, Sporting and Beachside (I've also heard good things about Ginga, but I don't know about that one). Those clubs have a pretty good product, though they are all different.

And I agree with earlier poster, avoid the tryout cattle call, especially at FSA where a million kids tryout. Get your kid into a few practices, see how the coach runs things. Talk to the parents.

Don't make the same mistake I did. Take your time if you can.
                    Yes, please listen to this Mom. She's the oracle and knows it all

Comment

Yes, please listen to this Mom. She's the oracle and knows it all
                      Mom hits the nail on the head. Clubs need to be reminded who's in the drivers seat. Clubs not too bright that way (ie. parents are the customers that keep the lights on).

Comment

Mom hits the nail on the head. Clubs need to be reminded who's in the drivers seat. Clubs not too bright that way (ie. parents are the customers that keep the lights on).
                        They have a product you seek and not enough supply
                        Sellers market if your kid is average
                        Buyers market if your kid can ball

Comment

They have a product you seek and not enough supply of a good product
                          Tweaked it a bit. There's plenty of poor quality clubs and coaching out there so you can always find a place to play. It's getting into the better quality clubs and teams where the supply is limited. Yes your assessment about talent is spot on - the better the player the greater the leverage

Comment

CORRECT:

WRONG:

=Market is glutted with clubs

Comment

It's pretty standard procedure. Clubs need to know who is in and who is out so then can go down the next list of players. Yes it's a business. Yes families are paying customers. The trick is to find a club that is the best fit for your player and operates in a manner you are comfortable with. Biggest isn't always best. "Top" isn't always best either.

Comment

CORRECT:

WRONG:

=Market is glutted with clubs
                                Market is glutted with crappy clubs- very few really good teams even at the better thought of clubs- as with all consumer driven choices- what do you really want?
                                if you just want to play soccer - the choices are plentiful
                                if you want to play good soccer- the choices are limited

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X