Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Choosing a spot for next year

My U11 plays on the top team at one of the "big two" clubs. Plays in the NEP top division and does quite a few tournaments per year. Really likes her teammates and coaches, but is in the bottom third of the roster, which means she is only playing 15 minutes or so per game and only plays one position.

Thinking of bumping her down a level for next year where she'll be one of the strongest kids, get more minutes and get to play different positions. The club's second team also plays in the premiership, so it's not like she'd be going to play in league 2.

Doesn't want to leave her friends, but is getting frustrated not playing too much.

Anyone faced a similar choice? Any non-sarcastic input is appreciated.

Only 15 min per game at U11? That's pretty far away from NEP's SOP's.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Only 15 min per game at U11? That's pretty far away from NEP's SOP's.
      Agreed. OP should run away, fast.

Comment

Bumping down a level is probably a good idea. More frustration can easily lead to losing interest and confidence (been there and don't regret it at all) . Just make sure the coaching is good. She's still young and if she loves the game she will settle into a team quickly

Comment

Only thing to think about is if the training will be as good. I would choose bottom third with better training over top bird with less good training. At i11 there is still so much room for change and growth. The game time isn't the most important factor, imo.

Comment

Dying to know which of the "top two" clubs is being referred to, that goes against the NEP's position of trying allocate equal playing time.

Seems like total bullsh!t

Comment

Really? I've seen plenty of U10-U12 games where certain kids barely leave the field while others are getting much less playing time. Don't kid yourself.

Comment

Really? I've seen plenty of U10-U12 games where certain kids barely leave the field while others are getting much less playing time. Don't kid yourself.
                Unfortunately it happens way more than it should. I've seen it myself. It can crush their enthusiasm for the sport.

Comment

Unfortunately it happens way more than it should. I've seen it myself. It can crush their enthusiasm for the sport.
                  Maybe that amount of playing time is appropriate for the kid, their ability and their commitment level. As a coach you can only encourage so much. Eventually you get to a point with some kids where everyone should probably realize that soccer isn't the kid's thing. Not the worst thing in the world to move on to other interests, especially with the costs involved in club soccer these days.

Comment

Get her into field hockey.

Comment

Maybe that amount of playing time is appropriate for the kid, their ability and their commitment level. As a coach you can only encourage so much. Eventually you get to a point with some kids where everyone should probably realize that soccer isn't the kid's thing. Not the worst thing in the world to move on to other interests, especially with the costs involved in club soccer these days.
                      Wrong. We're talking about U11. It's possible the player was poorly trained up until now and needs more time with a good coach. Player could be small...so many things. Giving up on 10-11 year olds is absurd. Sure maybe a move is necessary to a different level but to suggest moving them into a different sport altogether and giving up soccer? What an azz.

Comment

Now we know who started this thread. Don't feed the troll

Comment

OP here. She is a very commited player. No issues there. Always at practice and always giving 100%. Coach has recognized her for her work ethic on several occasions. Issue is that she is small for her age and the coach leans on the bigger, stronger, faster kids. She'll grow. Mom is 5'7" and I'm over 6'0", just hasn't happened yet.

If it was an effort issue it would be on her, but it's not that at all, which makes it all the more frustrating.

Comment

For the sake of conversation, in a 60 minute game with 8 field players (9 v. 9) that's 480 minutes of playing time. If you have, say 11 field players, that's an average playing time of 43 minutes per kid.

Comment

My U11 plays on the top team at one of the "big two" clubs. Plays in the NEP top division and does quite a few tournaments per year. Really likes her teammates and coaches, but is in the bottom third of the roster, which means she is only playing 15 minutes or so per game and only plays one position.

Thinking of bumping her down a level for next year where she'll be one of the strongest kids, get more minutes and get to play different positions. The club's second team also plays in the premiership, so it's not like she'd be going to play in league 2.

Doesn't want to leave her friends, but is getting frustrated not playing too much.

Anyone faced a similar choice? Any non-sarcastic input is appreciated.
                              Such little PT for such a young player and only one position is a sure indication of bad coaching. Will she have the same coach next year? has the club said who will be the coach next year and are they better (you got lemon). If you think other coaches in the club operate similarly then move. Always find the best coaching at whatever level. Hustle now and try and get her to a few practices at other clubs before cattle call mass tryouts (which won't do her any good if she's small)

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X