Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    You played your best boys in oysa not DA and your competition on the girls side all play ecnl, statistics are only as good as the way they are spun...
    this is spot on.

Comment

LO did not play in the 06G girls fall season. Why were they allowed into the State Cup?

Comment

LO did not play in the 06G girls fall season. Why were they allowed into the State Cup?
        open entry if a team wants to pay$$$

Comment

This does not make sense, in classic seedings the #1 team always matches up against the seed at the bottom, why did this not happen?

Why is the 1 seed put in a group with 6 and 7?

From a previous post:

If you understand how the seedings are used to form the brackets, you'll see that the 06G brackets were done EXACTLY per the fall standings.

When you have 3 brackets you get groupings of (notice the serpentine pattern):

A: 1,6,7
          B: 2,5,8
          C: 3,4,9,10

Comment

This does not make sense, in classic seedings the #1 team always matches up against the seed at the bottom, why did this not happen?

From a previous post:

If you understand how the seedings are used to form the brackets, you'll see that the 06G brackets were done EXACTLY per the fall standings.

The seeding above 1-10 is exactly correct the way it should be done.

Comment

From a previous post:

There was a discussion on this on the 05 Boys thread. A good argument can be made that giving "short" groups to the higher seeds puts them at a disadvantage, and that a more fair seeding would be

A: 1, 6, 7, 10
              B :2, 5, 8
              C: 3, 4, 9

In other words, shift the short group to the lower brackets.

Of course, this discussion is hypothetical; the brackets were seeded as the rules specify.

Comment

For sure on the above comment, the group with 4 in the 06G was gifted the only wild card spot. LO should have been in the group with FC Portland. This "serpentine zipper" method of seeding is ridiculous. Maybe its an Oregon thing, does not happen in other parts of the country.

Comment

For sure on the above comment, the group with 4 in the 06G was gifted the only wild card spot. LO should have been in the group with FC Portland. This "serpentine zipper" method of seeding is ridiculous. Maybe its an Oregon thing, does not happen in other parts of the country.
                  Of course it's an 06 parent crying about seeding. When you get a little more experience and your kid gets a little older you'll see that if you want to win state cup you need to beat all comers. My DD's team won a few years back and they were seeded 5th. Just play the games and win - if you can.

Comment

Nah, reading thru this thread I don't think anyone is whining here. The brackets and seedings are odd and unconventional. Would be nice to see some info about how they were put together. Is there any info out there that anyone is aware of?

Comment

Nah, reading thru this thread I don't think anyone is whining here. The brackets and seedings are odd and unconventional. Would be nice to see some info about how they were put together. Is there any info out there that anyone is aware of?
                      Yeah, dummy. It is called the State Cup Rules. You can find them on the OYSA website under the State Cup Rules. You can find these on the Internet with a search engine like, Google, for instance. You found this backwater website so I would think your little fingers could find the State Cup Rules.

Seriously, all of you crying about seedings are hilarious and indicative of the lowering in standards across the US. You are the entitled generation that wants your kids to be successful without having to face challenges and failures.

Want to be the best, you gotta beat the best.

Comment

Yeah, dummy. It is called the State Cup Rules. You can find them on the OYSA website under the State Cup Rules. You can find these on the Internet with a search engine like, Google, for instance. You found this backwater website so I would think your little fingers could find the State Cup Rules.

Seriously, all of you crying about seedings are hilarious and indicative of the lowering in standards across the US. You are the entitled generation that wants your kids to be successful without having to face challenges and failures.

Want to be the best, you gotta beat the best.
                        I think at one time the seeding method was in the rule book, but I don't think it is any longer. Regardless, they use what is called a serpentine method of seeding and it is typically based on Fall league results.

I agree that all of this whining about seeding is kind of funny.

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2036578]I think at one time the seeding method was in the rule book, but I don't think it is any longer. Regardless, they use what is called a serpentine method of seeding and it is typically based on Fall league results. If a team from a lower bracket enters State Cup they get seeded after the teams from the higer brackets.

If you have 4 brackets with 4 teams in each bracket you get:

A: 1,8,9,16
                          B: 2,7,10,15
                          C: 3,6,11,14
                          D: 4,5,12,13

If you have 3 brackets with 3 teams in each bracket you get:
                          C: 3,4,9

Comment

I think at one time the seeding method was in the rule book, but I don't think it is any longer. Regardless, they use what is called a serpentine method of seeding and it is typically based on Fall league results.

I agree that all of this whining about seeding is kind of funny.
                            Totally agree. So you are saying that you are legitimate state cup contender but having to play team X instead of team Y in pool play is going to keep you off the podium? Do you understand how ridiculous that sounds?

If you want to be a state cup champion, you play anyone who comes along. Some would argue it's better to have some tougher games in pool play, when a non-win won't necessarily knock you out of contention. But regardless of your personal philosophy, complaining about seeding is the silliest thing I've read on this site in a while. And that's saying a lot.

Comment

Totally agree. So you are saying that you are legitimate state cup contender but having to play team X instead of team Y in pool play is going to keep you off the podium? Do you understand how ridiculous that sounds?

If you want to be a state cup champion, you play anyone who comes along. Some would argue it's better to have some tougher games in pool play, when a non-win won't necessarily knock you out of contention. But regardless of your personal philosophy, complaining about seeding is the silliest thing I've read on this site in a while. And that's saying a lot.
                              I think the complaint about a 3-team pool is that it leaves no margin for error--you lose, you're almost certainly out, because the second place team from the four-team pools are likely to have two wins.

About the only way a second team advances from a 3-team pool is if the top two teams both end up 1-0-1 (tie against each other and beat the third team).

Plus, a good argument can be made that #1 seeds have earned the right to face the worst team(s) in pool play.

That said--every team starts in control of its own destiny. If you lose to a lower seed, that's not on the scheduler, that's on you.

Comment

I think the complaint about a 3-team pool is that it leaves no margin for error--you lose, you're almost certainly out, because the second place team from the four-team pools are likely to have two wins.

About the only way a second team advances from a 3-team pool is if the top two teams both end up 1-0-1 (tie against each other and beat the third team).

Plus, a good argument can be made that #1 seeds have earned the right to face the worst team(s) in pool play.

That said--every team starts in control of its own destiny. If you lose to a lower seed, that's not on the scheduler, that's on you.
                                Thank you for clarifying because that is an entirely different story and I agree with you completely. Giving a team - any team, regardless of their seeding - a two game minimum in state cup is robbery. Absolute thievery. And yes, with a two game pool (three teams in the pool) there is no margin for error as even a tie can knock you out of contention. I can't believe we continue to allow the lunkheads running state cup to charge so many teams $900 for a two game state cup.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X