X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1st world considerations

The concept of 'free time'.

My older sister went to HS then when she got home she took care of me an my brother till my single mom got home at 6pm from Work. Once mom got home my sister ate dinner did her homework and went off to work at corner convenience mart as a clerk from 7pm to 11pm 5 days a week. Then on the weekends they gave her longer shifts at the corner store.

HS sports were out of the question for her & she never got to play club soccer, club basketball or club softball she worked and sacrificed it all for her family.

A few little spoiled brats of this snowflake generation have to decide which dress they want to wear in the fall (HS or GDA) and parents of today cry about the unfairness of these type of 1st world decisions.

This isn't even a topic worth discussing. Please Get a life.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post

My older sister went to HS then when she got home she took care of me an my brother till my single mom got home at 6pm from Work. Once mom got home my sister ate dinner did her homework and went off to work at corner convenience mart as a clerk from 7pm to 11pm 5 days a week. Then on the weekends they gave her longer shifts at the corner store.

HS sports were out of the question for her & she never got to play club soccer, club basketball or club softball she worked and sacrificed it all for her family.

A few little spoiled brats of this snowflake generation have to decide which dress they want to wear in the fall (HS or GDA) and parents of today cry about the unfairness of these type of 1st world decisions.

And while your sister was going to school and working, there were kids in other countries who couldn't go to school and were homeless. To them, your sister's challenges were first world problems.

I lived a life very much like your sister's. I worked very hard to give my kids a better life. No apologies for that. Didn't you do the same?

Comment

And while your sister was going to school and working, there were kids in other countries who couldn't go to school and were homeless. To them, your sister's challenges were first world problems.

I lived a life very much like your sister's. I worked very hard to give my kids a better life. No apologies for that. Didn't you do the same?
      Bottom line both illustrations highlight the lunacy and lack of perspective that has been displayed on this forum ostensibly over the color of the dress for a dance, you the homeless kid and my sister never had the choice of even having a dress, let alone the chance to choose a color of dress. That's the point, show gratitude and respect for all your great choices. Not fight over the color of the dress because you think someone else's dress makes yours less attractive.

Comment

Bottom line both illustrations highlight the lunacy and lack of perspective that has been displayed on this forum ostensibly over the color of the dress for a dance, you the homeless kid and my sister never had the choice of even having a dress, let alone the chance to choose a color of dress. That's the point, show gratitude and respect for all your great choices. Not fight over the color of the dress because you think someone else's dress makes yours less attractive.
        Then perhaps you should quit this forum. You suffer too much for your own good.

Your bully-speak and name-calling serves no useful purpose. You need to heed your own words, "show gratitude and respect for all your great choices. Not fight over the color of the dress because you think someone else's dress makes yours less attractive."

Comment

Then perhaps you should quit this forum. You suffer too much for your own good.

Your bully-speak and name-calling serves no useful purpose. You need to heed your own words, "show gratitude and respect for all your great choices. Not fight over the color of the dress because you think someone else's dress makes yours less attractive."
          At least you got the message. That's all that matters.

Comment

At least you got the message. That's all that matters.
            I get the message, but indulge me at least in going after the messenger. You bully.

Comment

Waa waa waa. Woe is me.

Comment

Waa waa waa. Woe is me.
                Thanks for adding what you could to the 'discussion'. Your narrative fits you.

Comment

Too bad they "didn't have the chance" but that all stems from bad decisions made in your families 1 or 2 or more generations ago. If the members of your family don't have what it takes to break the cycle and always want to blame others for being successful then you'll just continue the cycle. Today's the day to take that first step towards a better future. Take it. Or not. Your choice.

Comment

Too bad they "didn't have the chance" but that all stems from bad decisions made in your families 1 or 2 or more generations ago. If the members of your family don't have what it takes to break the cycle and always want to blame others for being successful then you'll just continue the cycle. Today's the day to take that first step towards a better future. Take it. Or not. Your choice.
                    Well said, that's why we are so excited the US Soccer NWSL Portland Thorns GDA is option is available for our children. It was never around when we were growing up. Like you say it's time to break the cycle, and golly gee, today's the we we get to take the first steps towards a better future! Love it.

Your Rock! :)

Comment

Any inch closer to equality for women and girls, whether it be in sports, the workplace, etc.. should be embraced. It's sad to see some parents snub this new program in order to preserve the status quo. Shameful.

Comment

Any inch closer to equality for women and girls, whether it be in sports, the workplace, etc.. should be embraced. It's sad to see some parents snub this new program in order to preserve the status quo. Shameful.
                        Girls need chances, even though their aren't revenues generated around these endeavors to support it or finance it. Outside of the box thinking like Title IX gives girls opportunity for athletic scholarships in non-revenue sports the NWSL & US Soccer are giving girls opportunity and it's truly unthinkable that it's subsidized given the economic realities. It's a gift, take it. It's a new day!

Comment

And you were the beneficiary.

Comment

Well said, that's why we are so excited the US Soccer NWSL Portland Thorns GDA is option is available for our children. It was never around when we were growing up. Like you say it's time to break the cycle, and golly gee, today's the we we get to take the first steps towards a better future! Love it.

Your Rock! :)
                            Too bad the Thornz Girls Debacle Academy is a step back into the stone ages. Somehow that seems perfect for all the lemmings and cavemen that drink the Timbers Kool-Aid.

Comment

Too bad the Thornz Girls Debacle Academy is a step back into the stone ages. Somehow that seems perfect for all the lemmings and cavemen that drink the Timbers Kool-Aid.
                              You are the only dinosaur or caveman in the current youth offerings.

Present a comparison going way back so us younger ones can comprehend what you mean by "stone age."

We get that you don't like the Timbers or Thorns. What have these programs personally done to you?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X