Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I guarantee the person that posted this is not a parent at all, this is just another administrator of a club that is trying to push their agenda....look for a coach with great credentials that has a record of placing his/her players in HS and College...ask around, speak to other parents that have had the coach or have the coach currently, do some leg work....You want a coach that has a network with the college coaches and helps players reach out and write and invite them to tournaments and sends them to ID events.
    Always amazes me how suspicious everyone is on the stupid board. You either don't have daughters or the ones you have aren't typical girls. I'm the OP. I have no agenda. I'm not with any club. Just stating the facts as have happened to our family and what I've seen with other players. Yes all of what you said is true, all very logical and as she's my youngest I know the drill on how this all works. But it doesn't negate the struggle my D is facing on an emotional level leaving her teammates and coach. She's very social and will make new friends and do well on the new team but telling a 14 year old that is like walking to a brick wall

Comment

Have her speak to girls her age who have done it. There are plenty.

Comment

Have her speak to girls her age who have done it. There are plenty.
        She has. She knows and I'll know she'll be fine. She's also watched her older brothers do the same and it worked out for them (other D dropped soccer for LAX, which I despise but she loves it)

Comment

Always amazes me how suspicious everyone is on the stupid board. You either don't have daughters or the ones you have aren't typical girls. I'm the OP. I have no agenda. I'm not with any club. Just stating the facts as have happened to our family and what I've seen with other players. Yes all of what you said is true, all very logical and as she's my youngest I know the drill on how this all works. But it doesn't negate the struggle my D is facing on an emotional level leaving her teammates and coach. She's very social and will make new friends and do well on the new team but telling a 14 year old that is like walking to a brick wall
          Actions have consequences. If she really wants to play at higher level post HS, she has to play at the level to get interest from the desired level. At it's core, it is a very simple equation. But the club soccer world is littered with fine players that were committed to the social aspect and never did reach their potential on the pitch. There is nothing wrong with that, but it is decision that she has to make, and you, as a parent has to guide. That's not to say that as the paying party you have no input. However, it needs to be her decision, else resentment will follow no matter the result. If she doesn't go, and elects to remain with her friends, well, that is a life lesson that you can remind her of for the rest of her life.

Comment

Actions have consequences. If she really wants to play at higher level post HS, she has to play at the level to get interest from the desired level. At it's core, it is a very simple equation. But the club soccer world is littered with fine players that were committed to the social aspect and never did reach their potential on the pitch. There is nothing wrong with that, but it is decision that she has to make, and you, as a parent has to guide. That's not to say that as the paying party you have no input. However, it needs to be her decision, else resentment will follow no matter the result. If she doesn't go, and elects to remain with her friends, well, that is a life lesson that you can remind her of for the rest of her life.
            Well said

Comment

I have three daughters that all were heavily involved in sports. Two are grown and out of the house. The third is playing soccer in college. What I saw was that there was always a big attitude change in girls regarding sports that occurred during the 7th/8th grade. Not that it is a bad thing but I can't tell you how many instances I have watched of young girls that were previously completely immersed in sports suddenly and noticeably drop them down a notch. It's almost like a switch gets flipped and they are ready to go off in a new direction. I personally think the big mistake many parents make is thinking their daughter is still that little 10 year old "tomboy" and hanging on to that image too long. As teams are falling apart, maybe it's time to reassess how important soccer really is and whether or not the road ahead with it is likely to be smoothly paved or bumpy. I would suggest that if the answer is that there is only lukewarm interest or that their prospects aren't exactly stellar that perhaps it might be time to think about scaling back the amount of soccer participation.

Comment

Your last sentence tells all here....."Telling a 14 year old"
                You should not tell her, it needs to be what she wants.
                You can only support them along the way, in means of driving and getting them everywhere they need to be for that team but all the rest is on them, it needs to be her decision not yours, she must be the one that says that she would like to try out for another team because she feels her level and commitment is no longer in line with her current team.

Comment

I have three daughters that all were heavily involved in sports. Two are grown and out of the house. The third is playing soccer in college. What I saw was that there was always a big attitude change in girls regarding sports that occurred during the 7th/8th grade. Not that it is a bad thing but I can't tell you how many instances I have watched of young girls that were previously completely immersed in sports suddenly and noticeably drop them down a notch. It's almost like a switch gets flipped and they are ready to go off in a new direction. I personally think the big mistake many parents make is thinking their daughter is still that little 10 year old "tomboy" and hanging on to that image too long. As teams are falling apart, maybe it's time to reassess how important soccer really is and whether or not the road ahead with it is likely to be smoothly paved or bumpy. I would suggest that if the answer is that there is only lukewarm interest or that their prospects aren't exactly stellar that perhaps it might be time to think about scaling back the amount of soccer participation.
                  Very truthful. My daughter is at this stage and it is pretty apparent the switch has been thrown. This is our last year of club and she will be playing town next year only. For the amount of money and time that club requires it should be more than just a recreational endeavor for the player.

Comment

Very truthful. My daughter is at this stage and it is pretty apparent the switch has been thrown. This is our last year of club and she will be playing town next year only. For the amount of money and time that club requires it should be more than just a recreational endeavor for the player.
                    BTNT, PLEASE stop responding to your own posts! And PLEASE stop insisting to others "how important soccer is" and when and when not to "scale back." Never seen a human being so intent on convincing other people to quit. Talk about obsessions!

Comment

Who is BTNT?

Comment

Everyone was pretty sure this was you and then you put up in spades, so the mystery is over.

Comment

BTNT, PLEASE stop responding to your own posts! And PLEASE stop insisting to others "how important soccer is" and when and when not to "scale back." Never seen a human being so intent on convincing other people to quit. Talk about obsessions!
                          Please enlighten us all how you know who is posting? Not just a guess, but factually how you figure this out. One thing for sure, you must be smarter than all of us!

Comment

Who is BTNT?
                            The guy who keep nudging all of us over and over that are kids are in leagues above their abilities and way beyond whatever is needed for their very small goals OR that they simply should not be participating at all, period. He's also Suzieskywalker, whose posts you can find by using the search function, if you would like to compare to the posts of his other persona, Beentheredonethat. Also check out SoccerTaxi and SoccerDad33.

Comment

Please enlighten us all how you know who is posting? Not just a guess, but factually how you figure this out. One thing for sure, you must be smarter than all of us!
                              You mean other that this being 100% obvious to anyone who has been around TS for more than 6 months?

Comment

Crazy person on the forum - loon alert!

I am not BTNT but just a parent who has seen a change in my daughter. Are you actually saying club soccer is worth the time and $$ for a player that is only interested in it at a recreational level? Jeez get a grip.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X