Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are parents hyper-focused on college scholarships?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I say great and move on- i have no doubt that you show everyone you're bank statement wether they ask or not
    You should re-take the ESL class you clunked out of.

Comment

While I agree that a focus on scholarships is ill advised, you can't blame parents for hoping for a some assistance. College is becoming increasingly unaffordable for many. Graduating with loads of student debt is a recipe for disaster.
      you want academic $$$ over athletic $$$ every time- as long as you do the work they can't take it away

Comment

You should re-take the ESL class you clunked out of.
        no habla?

Comment

I say great and move on- i have no doubt that you show everyone you're bank statement wether they ask or not
          Nice try, but sorry, no deflection allowed. Simple logic. A statement of fact must be supported by evidence.

Comment

college soccer has saved me around 500K with 3 kids- way ahead of the game
            Riiigght! if your family was that good we would be able to determine who you are because you would be getting national attention in papers. are you three kids going to get 1 billion from nike too?

Comment

While I agree that a focus on scholarships is ill advised, you can't blame parents for hoping for a some assistance. College is becoming increasingly unaffordable for many. Graduating with loads of student debt is a recipe for disaster.
              Blaming? I don't see that . What I see is a statement of $ 500,000 saved , but no supporting evidence.

" loads of student debt " How about for a Doctor ? Is that a recipe for disaster ? A Dentist?
              College is more affordable and available across the board for more people then at any time in American History. There are over 20 million Americans in higher education studies.

Comment

Riiigght! if your family was that good we would be able to determine who you are because you would be getting national attention in papers. are you three kids going to get 1 billion from nike too?
                you're wrong- take FFLD U- 65K a year (full ride =260K) not hard to get to 500k for 3 if they are decent players and 1 or 2 get a big ride.
                Sacred heart - about the same, really any big academic school in CT will cost you mid 60s

Comment

Blaming? I don't see that . What I see is a statement of $ 500,000 saved , but no supporting evidence.

" loads of student debt " How about for a Doctor ? Is that a recipe for disaster ? A Dentist?
                  College is more affordable and available across the board for more people then at any time in American History. There are over 20 million Americans in higher education studies.
                  so there is no student loan crisis? thank god

Comment

so there is no student loan crisis? thank god
                    That is an entirely different matter. The " crisis " is more a consequence of behavior than contributing circumstances.

Comment

you're wrong- take FFLD U- 65K a year (full ride =260K) not hard to get to 500k for 3 if they are decent players and 1 or 2 get a big ride.
                      Sacred heart - about the same, really any big academic school in CT will cost you mid 60s
                      you did say "full ride". again we would have heard of you if you were these full rides from any school. three phenoms from one family.

Comment

That is an entirely different matter. The " crisis " is more a consequence of behavior than contributing circumstances.
                        Yep, the behavior of going to "affordable" college

Comment

you did say "full ride". again we would have heard of you if you were these full rides from any school. three phenoms from one family.
                          Not the OP but very easy to get to $500k with 3 kids getting money.

Comment

do the math- 3 fulls=760K

Comment

you want academic $$$ over athletic $$$ every time- as long as you do the work they can't take it away
                              Yes in general it absolutely is preferred - you just have maintain a manageable GPA. Only glitch is that to get significant monies you have to be far above the numbers for an average admit to the school, or have some unique hook that makes you very desirable to the school. If you're an average admit for the school or closer to the bottom of their acceptable range you will get very little.

Comment

500k/3 = 166k each. As someone else pointed out, any school worth noting is $60k+ year. Which means each of the kids was getting significant assistance (2/3 paid) or two were fully paid and one getting 1/3 or so. Either way, I also call BS. Unless you're happy with your kid getting a ride at ShyteU, and then, godspeed, sir.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X