Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are parents hyper-focused on college scholarships?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    There are probably 10 kids a year in CT that get substantial scholarships. Keep in mind their college coach can take them away by year two or a kid can earn one... lots of ebb and flow. The idea that parents get so wrapped up in this is beyond me. I've been coaching in this state for 30 years and there's about ten girls in that time that have gone on to bigtime college soccer on full boats. 10 girls. That's it.
    So what you're saying is I've got a chance?

Comment

Even if a player received an athletic scholarship worth $20,000 per year for four years, it is more than she would make as a professional women's soccer player.
      Any salary that a professional player makes is taxed as well. Athletic scholarship money equates to making money playing soccer tax-free.

Comment

lol that's true. That's $80K saved; heck even if they only get it for 3 years that's $60K. That can be the difference between graduating debt free or with a manageable debt amount vs a much heavier burden.
        college soccer has saved me around 500K with 3 kids- way ahead of the game

Comment

Well put it all out there. Give us the facts. Prove it.

Comment

I'm not talking about book money to Central CT or tuition at Mount Holyoke... it's about big time soccer. I can tell you this... these ten went to Notre Dame, Wake Forest, Virginia, UConn Boston College (Actually several), etc... go look at the perennial top 15 teams in country and tell me more than 10 kids. Also these kids received FULL BOATS not partials or stipends or meal money... there's a difference. I actually coached 3 of these girls
            Is there something wrong with Mount Holyoke??

Comment

I will not release my taxes even though I'm not under audit.

Comment

Uhuh. Suuuuuurrrrrreeeeeee.

Comment

I will not release my taxes even though I'm not under audit.
                  Old news. Only those with TDS and their MSM enablers care.

Comment

Why? and what would prove it to you?
                    it doesn't matter to me if you think its BS
                    the fact is you can i.e.. save,get paid, make, some $$$$ in this game-it takes skill and luck (no major injury or incidents). if your kids have the passion.

Comment

the fact is you can i.e.. save,get paid, make, some $$$$ in this game-it takes skill and luck (no major injury or incidents). if your kids have the passion.
                      If it doesn't matter to you, why post something that you can't support with facts ? What was the purpose of your post ?

What you state isn't a fact, it is an opinion. If it is a fact, prove it with actual real data.

Comment

Congrats! I agree this happens. Don't listen to the hater.

Comment

Congrats! I agree this happens. Don't listen to the hater.
                          Why is it being a " hater " to ask for facts ? Is it possible ? Yes. Is it probable ? Perhaps . The only way to prove it is to support it with facts.

If I say I have $ 100,000 in the bank, and you say I don't, I just show you my Bank Statement. Why is it any different in this case ?

Comment

If it doesn't matter to you, why post something that you can't support with facts ? What was the purpose of your post ?

What you state isn't a fact, it is an opinion. If it is a fact, prove it with actual real data.
                            its a fact in my house-and it matters very much to me
                            the real data is shared with people who matter ( accountant,IRS, close family)
                            you on the other hand matter very little to me- not in "the circle of trust"
                            hope you have the good fortune to benefit from soccer and get your kids a great education

Comment

Why is it being a " hater " to ask for facts ? Is it possible ? Yes. Is it probable ? Perhaps . The only way to prove it is to support it with facts.

If I say I have $ 100,000 in the bank, and you say I don't, I just show you my Bank Statement. Why is it any different in this case ?
                              I say great and move on- i have no doubt that you show everyone you're bank statement wether they ask or not

Comment

While I agree that a focus on scholarships is ill advised, you can't blame parents for hoping for a some assistance. College is becoming increasingly unaffordable for many. Graduating with loads of student debt is a recipe for disaster.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X