• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Thanks thorns intern.

ECNL costs about $5500 per year.

Thornz will be about $3000 per year.

ECNL will play elite level teams and get tons of college offers.

Thornz will play crappy showcases like Beaverton cup and las angeles versus B and C teams. Thornz= # Parthtocommunitycollege.
    So it's a little bit more expensive for a lot better product.

My opinion:

ECNL = Mercedes

Thorns = windowsless van

Comment

Liar. Thorns staffer spreading false info.
      The costs were actually closer to 12k after the audit. Thanks.

Comment

My opinion:

ECNL = Mercedes

Thorns = windowsless van
        My opinion:

CU & FC PDX = Game Over!

NWSL Portland Thorns GDA = Game On!

Comment

My opinion:

ECNL = Mercedes

Thorns = windowsless van
          You get what you pay for.

Comment

It's very simple. The two programs (ECNL and GDA) are giving you choices. With ECNL you pay more but your kid has freedom to play high school soccer and other sports and extracurriculars (in other words a more normal teenage life). With GDA you pay less and because you pay less, you give them control over what your kid does. Totally reasonable on their end. They are investing financially on your kid so they have a right to say what your kid does in her downtime.

I am glad ECNL is structured as it is because the two different programs are giving people choices. I hope ECNL stays as is and continues to be an important part of getting girls recruited to play in college. If both programs stay healthy and successful, they will force each other to deliver a better product. Competition is good.

And for the record since everyone always thinks people have an agenda, I am a TA parent from outside PDX. My kid plays OYSA. If we lived in Portland and she wanted to, we would likely choose ECNL. I would rather spend a little more money and get to have more of a say in what my child is doing in her free time. But I understand that GDA fills a need especially for low income families.
            I mostly agree but please keep in mind that most DA clubs are doing little to no subsidies. Between club fees and travel the costs come out only slightly lower than ECNL. It will still be out of reach for most low income families unless they're lucky enough to grab a rare scholarship. To the average middle to upper income family a $1500 - $2000 difference won't be enough to sway them if their kid has her heart set on playing HS sports.

Comment

You get what you pay for.
              This explains why Crossfire just slashed prices and is offering free kits for all ECNL players. Where were all the freebies before GDA? Pathetic!!!

Comment

Thanks thorns intern.

Thornz will play crappy showcases like Beaverton cup and las angeles versus B and C teams. Thornz= # Parthtocommunitycollege.
                ECNL is sonewhat more expensive but around the country the best clubs are keeping the best players in ECNL. Kids don't want to give up high school to go pro and make peanuts.

Comment

ECNL is sonewhat more expensive but around the country the best clubs are keeping the best players in ECNL. Kids don't want to give up high school to go pro and make peanuts.
                  Since we don't have any best clubs for Girls in Oregon, moving to the GDA platform that is subsidized and 5x cheaper than the local clubs product offering, the migration is almost seamless from the local clubs to the NWSL Portland Thorns GDA in year 1.

Comment

Curious but can someone tell me how far away these two programs are? If within 20 miles, wouldn't it be best to consolidate?
                    If FC and Crossfire had brains yes... they would consolidate. Both are too stubborn though and want those checks cashed on May 4th!

Comment

Thanks thorns intern.

The thorns really didn't do themselves any favors with the low level tournaments they played this year.

Comment

It's very simple. The two programs (ECNL and GDA) are giving you choices. With ECNL you pay more but your kid has freedom to play high school soccer and other sports and extracurriculars (in other words a more normal teenage life). With GDA you pay less and because you pay less, you give them control over what your kid does. Totally reasonable on their end. They are investing financially on your kid so they have a right to say what your kid does in her downtime.

I am glad ECNL is structured as it is because the two different programs are giving people choices. I hope ECNL stays as is and continues to be an important part of getting girls recruited to play in college. If both programs stay healthy and successful, they will force each other to deliver a better product. Competition is good.

And for the record since everyone always thinks people have an agenda, I am a TA parent from outside PDX. My kid plays OYSA. If we lived in Portland and she wanted to, we would likely choose ECNL. I would rather spend a little more money and get to have more of a say in what my child is doing in her free time. But I understand that GDA fills a need especially for low income families.
                        Well said. More options the better. Ecnl & Gda offer very different options. Gda is cheaper but very restrictive- zero other soccer, no other sports, very little game playing time for majority of the roster and no chance to play elsewhere, more missed school. Soccer only top 5 girls and poor girls that can afford to get to practice 4x/wk and miss school will be drawn to GDA. Ecnl will continue to draw good players that can afford 5-6k/year. Local club travel teams still have the most flexibility, the cheapest price tag and continue to get girls into college. 3 nice options. All have pros & cons. Pick the best option for your dd and enjoy. Remember, the CA girls are going pro & top D1, not ours.

Comment

More options the better. Ecnl & Gda offer very different options. Gda is cheaper but very restrictive- zero other soccer, no other sports, very little game playing time for majority of the roster and no chance to play elsewhere, more missed school. Soccer only top 5 girls and poor girls that can afford to get to practice 4x/wk and miss school will be drawn to GDA. Ecnl will continue to draw good players that can afford 5-6k/year. Local club travel teams still have the most flexibility, the cheapest price tag and continue to get girls into college. 3 nice options. All have pros & cons. Pick the best option for your dd and enjoy. Remember, the CA girls are going pro & top D1, not ours.
                          Competition is always better in the real world!

Our local clubs offer a range of programs for the neighborhood kids, recreational, classic & classic with travel. The overwhelming majority of kids in our local clubs come from within 5 to 10 miles of the club. There is no real funding other than subsidized city, county or school district fields for use for training and games which is a great cost saver for the user.(your kid). It's the purest form of the Pay to Play model.

MLS/NWSL Timbers/Thorns DA & GDA are extensions of the professional club and they have been chosen by US Soccer to run exclusively without any local club competition the DA arm in Oregon. On top of that it's fully funded, with nominal charges for those selected. It's the purest form of not paying to play ever offered in our region for boys and girls.

Kids will let you know what they want to do, you need to listen to them and guide them.

You can't go wrong on either front, one the barrier to entry is cost, the other talent.

All the best.

Comment

Well said. More options the better. Ecnl & Gda offer very different options. Gda is cheaper but very restrictive- zero other soccer, no other sports, very little game playing time for majority of the roster and no chance to play elsewhere, more missed school. Soccer only top 5 girls and poor girls that can afford to get to practice 4x/wk and miss school will be drawn to GDA. Ecnl will continue to draw good players that can afford 5-6k/year. Local club travel teams still have the most flexibility, the cheapest price tag and continue to get girls into college. 3 nice options. All have pros & cons. Pick the best option for your dd and enjoy. Remember, the CA girls are going pro & top D1, not ours.
                            Bingo. It's soccer, not rocket science. Pick one of the options and enjoy. All three paths will lead to the same endpoint for the player so pick the one she'll enjoy the most along the way.

Comment

The thorns really didn't do themselves any favors with the low level tournaments they played this year.
                              Wins are wins no matter who you played.

Comment

Bingo. It's soccer, not rocket science. Pick one of the options and enjoy. All three paths will lead to the same endpoint for the player so pick the one she'll enjoy the most along the way.
                                With all things leading to the same endpoint, tryout with the Thorns GDA is the #1 option since US Soccer is behind it and they cover all the travel costs for our girls. If they don't make it, then it's like it's always been choosing from the local club offerings. Having this new tier is exciting.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X