Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    And they can get a similar experience playing D3, only with a better work life balance, ability to study abroad, do internships etc
    you don't think D1 athletes can do internships? study abroad? you would be wrong
    we aren't talking about big time football or hoops- this is Girls soccer

Comment

you don't think D1 athletes can do internships? study abroad? you would be wrong
      Many do not and they are much more limited in what they're able to do. Of course many also won't be playing by junior year so then they have time to be a student - that's true of all sports not just soccer. Playing in college can be great but it has its pitfalls and often isn't what players expect. All the more reason to make sure you live the school.

Comment

My daughter's experience at D2 would challenge your view.

She had the opportunity to spend the spring semester of her Junior year abroad. She really wanted to do this. She was a starter on the team and had been since her sophomore year. The coach made it clear that for her to miss the spring season (can you believe it?) would be a major issue and impact her status on the team. The coach figured she'd cave. He didn't know my daughter as well as he thought. She quit the program and went abroad for a semester. When the coach asked her about the fall over the summer going into her senior year, she reminded him that she had made her choice.

She graduated with honors, got recruited by a top firm out of college and has never looked back. She plays now, some 10 years later, on a very strong woman's amateur team. She also makes damn good money from her job.

Comment

My daughter's experience at D2 would challenge your view.

She had the opportunity to spend the spring semester of her Junior year abroad. She really wanted to do this. She was a starter on the team and had been since her sophomore year. The coach made it clear that for her to miss the spring season (can you believe it?) would be a major issue and impact her status on the team. The coach figured she'd cave. He didn't know my daughter as well as he thought. She quit the program and went abroad for a semester. When the coach asked her about the fall over the summer going into her senior year, she reminded him that she had made her choice.

She graduated with honors, got recruited by a top firm out of college and has never looked back. She plays now, some 10 years later, on a very strong woman's amateur team. She also makes damn good money from her job.
          The same on D1 (I've got one there for soccer and probably another for another sport soon). If you do a "study abroad" it's like 3 weeks in the summer. It's not the same as doing a full semester. Same with doing meaningful internships. Sorry but D1 and D2, for all the benefits, there are also costs. The school may not see soccer as the same thing as big league bball or football, but you can bet the soccer coaches do. They call the shots. Even D3 is a substantial commitment. Beyond the incredible skill you need to play at the college level, some kids will reach a point where they just don't want to do it any longer. You have to love it and be 100% committed to it.

Comment

The same on D1 (I've got one there for soccer and probably another for another sport soon). If you do a "study abroad" it's like 3 weeks in the summer. It's not the same as doing a full semester. Same with doing meaningful internships. Sorry but D1 and D2, for all the benefits, there are also costs. The school may not see soccer as the same thing as big league bball or football, but you can bet the soccer coaches do. They call the shots. Even D3 is a substantial commitment. Beyond the incredible skill you need to play at the college level, some kids will reach a point where they just don't want to do it any longer. You have to love it and be 100% committed to it.
            no one said it wasn't a commitment- it surely is but you can do internships and study abroad
            my daughters soccer scholarship paid for her abroad semester
            she was expected to stay in shape and to play overseas, coach found her a place to play while there- a great experience

Comment

no one said it wasn't a commitment- it surely is but you can do internships and study abroad
              my daughters soccer scholarship paid for her abroad semester
              she was expected to stay in shape and to play overseas, coach found her a place to play while there- a great experience
              Her experience does not match that of many others

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
              Auto-Saved
              x
              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
              x
              Working...
              X