Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    The last sentence is not true. My daughter got her D3 schedule for freshman year. By conf rule, they don't start preseason until the first day of school. No top D1 program has their freshman coming in at the end of August (one week before classes start).

D1 season is longer and requires a greater commitment during the every week of the season. Big difference. You must not have either played, coached or had a kid play D1 soccer, because if you did, you would know there is a big difference.
    Conf rule or NCAA rule? D1 season's are not terribly longer for soccer. They are more, but only what amounts to about 3 weeks worth of additional training mostly in the summer and spring (a little at end of fall). You should have played D3, like I did. We weren't required to do anything, we busted our butts because we loved the game .... and we went to class and did well too.

D1:
    17.19.1 Length of Playing Season. The length of an institution’s playing season in soccer shall be limited
    to a 132-day season, which may consist of two segments (each consisting of consecutive days) and which may
    exclude only required off days per Bylaw 17.1.7.4 and official vacation, holiday and final-examination periods
    during which no practice or competition shall occur. (Revised: 1/10/91 effective 8/1/91, 1/14/97 effective 8/1/97)

D3:
    17.1.1.3 Length of Playing Season.
    17.1.1.3.1 Sports with a Fall NCAA Championship. The length of an institution’s playing season
    shall be limited to a maximum of 18 weeks. (Revised: 4/11/11 effective 8/1/11)

Comment

Good D3 programs are still training/practicing/working out all year long as well. They just have "captains" practices and fewer official events outside of the regular fall season. It's not as big a commitment as D1 but it's still a commitment.

Comment

Conf rule or NCAA rule? D1 season's are not terribly longer for soccer. They are more, but only what amounts to about 3 weeks worth of additional training mostly in the summer and spring (a little at end of fall). You should have played D3, like I did. We weren't required to do anything, we busted our butts because we loved the game .... and we went to class and did well too.

D1:
        17.19.1 Length of Playing Season. The length of an institution’s playing season in soccer shall be limited
        to a 132-day season, which may consist of two segments (each consisting of consecutive days) and which may
        exclude only required off days per Bylaw 17.1.7.4 and official vacation, holiday and final-examination periods
        during which no practice or competition shall occur. (Revised: 1/10/91 effective 8/1/91, 1/14/97 effective 8/1/97)

D3:
        17.1.1.3 Length of Playing Season.
        17.1.1.3.1 Sports with a Fall NCAA Championship. The length of an institution’s playing season
        shall be limited to a maximum of 18 weeks. (Revised: 4/11/11 effective 8/1/11)
        Nescac conf dictates the start of the season for purposes of athletic training. It also states that captains practices can not start before the academic session starts for a student athlete. Not sure what happens with other d3 soccer programs, but for sure nescac has thier own rules.

Comment

Any who....enough D1 vs D3 pre season talk. Does the thread OP's kid have a chance to play at the college level and get recruited this late in the game?

Comment

Nescac conf dictates the start of the season for purposes of athletic training. It also states that captains practices can not start before the academic session starts for a student athlete. Not sure what happens with other d3 soccer programs, but for sure nescac has thier own rules.
            So you were wrong and my last sentence was corr3c.f.. Apology accepted. You should not be so 1uick to chirp up when you don't know what you are talking about.

Comment

Any who....enough D1 vs D3 pre season talk. Does the thread OP's kid have a chance to play at the college level and get recruited this late in the game?
              Play? Absolutely. Recruited? Like recruited, recruited? Probably not. But she can most likely get into any school she applies to with an A+ average and good board scores. And if she informs the coach of her intent to play soccer, the coach will most likely give her a shot at making the team.

Looking at the top 25 academic liberal arts schools in the country, she can probably play at 10-12 of them.

Comment

gold

Play? Absolutely. Recruited? Like recruited, recruited? Probably not. But she can most likely get into any school she applies to with an A+ average and good board scores. And if she informs the coach of her intent to play soccer, the coach will most likely give her a shot at making the team.

Looking at the top 25 academic liberal arts schools in the country, she can probably play at 10-12 of them.
                I'ld be interested in your opinion as to which 10 or 12.

Comment

I'ld be interested in your opinion as to which 10 or 12.
                  me too - those schools attract some very skilled (and obviously smart) soccer players.

Comment

me too - those schools attract some very skilled (and obviously smart) soccer players.
                    I would think. There are 11 schools in the NESCAC alone. I would like to see what schools the poster had in mind. Not bashing, mind you. I'm seriously just curios.

Comment

Alrighty then. Your opinions may differ. Top 25 from US News & World Report.

1. Williams - no
                      2. Amherst - no
                      3. Wellesley - yes
                      4. Middlebury - no
                      5. Swarthmore - Very good team this year. Normally yes. Call it a push.
                      6. Bowdoin - no
                      7. Carleton - yes
                      8. Pamona - no
                      9. ClaremontMcKenna - no
                      10. Davidson - no
                      11. W&L - push (go Generals!)
                      12. Colby - yes
                      13. Colgate - no
                      14. Hamilton - yes
                      15. Haverford - yes
                      16. Smith - yes
                      17. USNA - no
                      20. Vassar - yes
                      21. Grinnell - yes
                      22. USMA@WP - no
                      23. Wesleyan - yes
                      24. Colorado College - yes
                      25. Oberlin - yes

11 with two pushes. Let the sh!tposting begin!

Comment

Alrighty then. Your opinions may differ. Top 25 from US News & World Report.

1. Williams - no
                        2. Amherst - no
                        3. Wellesley - yes
                        4. Middlebury - no
                        5. Swarthmore - Very good team this year. Normally yes. Call it a push.
                        6. Bowdoin - no
                        7. Carleton - yes
                        8. Pamona - no
                        9. ClaremontMcKenna - no
                        10. Davidson - no
                        11. W&L - push (go Generals!)
                        12. Colby - yes
                        13. Colgate - no
                        14. Hamilton - yes
                        15. Haverford - yes
                        16. Smith - yes
                        17. USNA - no
                        20. Vassar - yes
                        21. Grinnell - yes
                        22. USMA@WP - no
                        23. Wesleyan - yes
                        24. Colorado College - yes
                        25. Oberlin - yes

11 with two pushes. Let the sh!tposting begin!
                        Cfcu has a kid going to middlebury. My kid is better and would walk on and be higher on the depth chart than her. So middlebury -yes

Comment

Cfcu has a kid going to middlebury. My kid is better and would walk on and be higher on the depth chart than her. So middlebury -yes
                          OP Said kid was 4.2, FSA State team. I would add the following schools to consider

Middlebury-Middlebury no
                          Bates: No
                          Gettysburg Push
                          Ursinus Yes
                          *****burg yes
                          James Madison Yes
                          Dennison and/or OWU- both yes

Comment

OP Said kid was 4.2, FSA State team. I would add the following schools to consider

Middlebury-Middlebury no
                            Bates: No
                            Gettysburg Push
                            Ursinus Yes
                            *****burg yes
                            James Madison Yes
                            Dennison and/or OWU- both yes
                            Let me guess...your kid is going to bates, so you have an inflated view of bates. Not sure how bates is a no but you don't add tufts, Wesleyan, Colby, Hamilton even conn college and trinity as nos.bates never won anything and academically is behind most of the other nescac schools

Comment

I would nix James Madison. That's some pretty serious soccer.

Comment

I would nix James Madison. That's some pretty serious soccer.
                                Exactly. Your mia isn't playing at james madison

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X