Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NWSL on TV

Anyone catch the NWSL game on TV this weekend? I must say I had very low expectations - particularly when I heard it would be on Lifetime. We were pleasantly surprised. I thought it was well done and the commentators actually had intelligent things to say. The game was also very well played. A solid performance. Even my boys who refuse to watch any women's sport stuck around for the entire game.

Anyone else see the game? Will they broadcast games every Sat? Same time?

I wonder if this will help the game. I know my daughter wants to DVR games and have viewing parties with friends. Perhaps i'm being optimistic but i'd like to think showing women's soccer weekly can only be positive.

Thoughts/

It's a step in the right direction. However for now it just a tiny baby step. Very long road ahead.

Comment

I find MLS slow. Uneventful. Lackluster. Some good moments, yes, and better than it has been, yes, but just missing some key ingredient. I'd rather watch Middlesborough, and I do. The Prem is a league that mixes direct soccer with tick-tock soccer, has truly talented players, and that can be fast and physical.

Women's soccer doesn't rate. I mean, my kids play, so I watch league, h.s., and some college, but after that, except for the World Cup, I'm not interested. Professional women's soccer doesn't have the speed of play, the skill, and the purpose to keep my interest.

But, yeah, we can call it a step in the right direction....

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        I find MLS slow. Uneventful. Lackluster. Some good moments, yes, and better than it has been, yes, but just missing some key ingredient. I'd rather watch Middlesborough, and I do. The Prem is a league that mixes direct soccer with tick-tock soccer, has truly talented players, and that can be fast and physical.

Women's soccer doesn't rate. I mean, my kids play, so I watch league, h.s., and some college, but after that, except for the World Cup, I'm not interested. Professional women's soccer doesn't have the speed of play, the skill, and the purpose to keep my interest.

Congratulations, you just described how 99% of America feels about the game of soccer. Add to that ..... it isn't violent either. Typically just a slow game played between the penalty areas with very little scoring and often ends up as a draw.

Comment

Congratulations, you just described how 99% of America feels about the game of soccer. Add to that ..... it isn't violent either. Typically just a slow game played between the penalty areas with very little scoring and often ends up as a draw.
          soccer reminds me a lot of hockey - it's better to watch a game live. Somehow it doesn't translate to television, it's like two different games live vs TV.

Comment

Well, you didn't understand everything I wrote. But, yes, I suspect my apathy for MLS is inline with most Americans, as is my lack of interest in professional women's soccer. However, as I noted, I do watch soccer and generally catch 3 Prem games on the weekend.

Comment

You would rather watch Middlesbrough or Sunderland? The boro has scored 23 goals in 32 fixtures. That's rubbish. I watch a ton of soccer both foreign and domestic and outside of the top 7 EPL teams, the rest of the league teams are quite boring

Comment

You would rather watch Middlesbrough or Sunderland? The boro has scored 23 goals in 32 fixtures. That's rubbish. I watch a ton of soccer both foreign and domestic and outside of the top 7 EPL teams, the rest of the league teams are quite boring
                I know, right ... and I would rather watch Boro and Sunderland, both. (But not next year, because I don't have the time to watch the Championship, as well.)

Comment

I know, right ... and I would rather watch Boro and Sunderland, both. (But not next year, because I don't have the time to watch the Championship, as well.)
                  Sorry. They are both boring uninspiring teams. They have little to no creativity. I would rather watch Seattle, Portland or even Atlanta play

Comment

Sorry. They are both boring uninspiring teams. They have little to no creativity. I would rather watch Seattle, Portland or even Atlanta play
                    And I'd not. Even if you believe Seattle, Portland, and Atlanta to be stronger and more entertaining soccer clubs, the league they play in and the quality of their opposition makes watching the Prem a no brainer.

Comment

And the Premier League is really not as great as they've convinced people it is. All they really have is parity for the top 6-7 teams whereas Spain is a 3 team league and Germany 2 teams. Will be interesting to see what chinese $ does for Italy.

Regardless, women's soccer is generally pretty tough to watch.

Comment

And the Premier League is really not as great as they've convinced people it is. All they really have is parity for the top 6-7 teams whereas Spain is a 3 team league and Germany 2 teams. Will be interesting to see what chinese $ does for Italy.

Regardless, women's soccer is generally pretty tough to watch.
                        Agreed on women's soccer. I'd add MLS. Yes, Spain is 3 teams, Germany 2, France 1, Italy, what, 3? The Prem is by far the most entertaining league, any way you look at it.

Comment

The Premiere League is bumper cars on a soccer pitch. Frantic doesn't even being to scratch the surface. So yes. The MLS looks boing compared to the Prem. But its a different animal than anything else in the soccer world.

Comment

And I'd not. Even if you believe Seattle, Portland, and Atlanta to be stronger and more entertaining soccer clubs, the league they play in and the quality of their opposition makes watching the Prem a no brainer.
                            I am not saying don't watch EPL. However, the regelation zone is terrible soccer. It can be good drama though

Comment

The Premiere League is bumper cars on a soccer pitch. Frantic doesn't even being to scratch the surface. So yes. The MLS looks boing compared to the Prem. But its a different animal than anything else in the soccer world.
                              Not sure what you mean by bumper cars. You've got possession teams, like Arsenal and Manchester City, and long-ball teams, like Leicester and Everton. Then, you have clubs that are fairly effective at mixing it up, like Liverpool, United, and Chelsea.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X