Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Pros & Cons of College Camps

It's among the most frequently-debated topics in the world of college recruiting. Let’s start with some of your questions.

What’s the big deal with summer college camps?

What’s the point of going to a camp, or two, or three this summer?

How do camps help me?

Should I include summer camps as part of my college recruiting strategy?

Will attending summer camps earn me scholarship offers?

Do they help increase exposure?

Am I required to go to a school’s camp in order to be recruited by them?

How many camps should I register for?

The truth is, as with many college recruiting-related topics, you’re bound to find several different perspectives and various answers to questions about summer camps. So depending on your individual collegiate goals, your projected Division I or II status, your availability and your budget, perhaps you should consider the pros and cons of attending summer college camps before filling your calendar with camp dates.
    The Good
    Networking. Summer camps are great for networking with coaches and prospective athletes. You’re going to meet other student-athletes from around the country and be able to share your experiences with kids from various backgrounds. Plus, it’s NEVER a bad idea to build relationships with coaches, and camps are great face to face venues.
    Instruction. Camps help enhance athletic development and skill levels with advanced college-level instruction. So if you’re on the cusp of starting next season, what you learn at a camp may help give you the edge!
    Accurate Assessment. Gain new perspective on your abilities by performing with and against other top players your age. It’s common to overrate yourself. Camps often provide a stage for helping you more precisely assess yourself.
    Unbiased Evaluation. College coaches usually don’t “sugar coat” things. So at camps, you’re likely to get the skinny about your true potential from credible sources that aren’t around you everyday.
    Fun. Camps can be a blast. Sure, you can pretty much count on working hard while you’re there, but most camps reserve plenty of time for fun activities as well.
    The Not-So Good
    Expensive. Camps aren’t cheap. In most cases, fees for overnight camps can range from $300 to $1,000, depending on the duration, format and amenities. So choose wisely.
    Crowds. It’s true… tons of kids show up to these things. You might visualize a few days of 1-on-1 instruction, only to show up with 500+ other prospects who are all expecting the same thing. So do your due diligence before registering. Know how many athletes will attend and understand the teaching format. It will spare you much disappointment.
    Exposure? Many camps have advertised in the past that their event was a great venue for creating national collegiate exposure. In reality, the only real exposure you should expect to receive is from the camp’s host university. In fact, NCAA passed rules which prohibit coaches from other colleges attending camps and combines off campus. So don’t attend a college camp this summer expecting national visibility, because it typically doesn’t happen.
    Where? A common question among prospective campers… which camps should I attend? Your big name, Division I powerhouses attract the nation’s top prospects AND hoards of other campers every year. And it makes sense, too. Traditionally, camping at Pac 10, Big 10 and SEC-level schools were considered great resume-builders for hopeful college prospects. The problem is, most college coaches at these schools are relying on the attendance of a few key recruits. One college coach from an east coast Division I program told me that of the 400+ campers he is expecting to host, only about 7 or*8 of these athletes are on his staff’s “short list,” he called it. In fact, these were kids his staff had been corresponding with well in advance of the camp, and that the camp was a great opportunity for them to see these kids face-to-face. The other 390+ campers were sure to have fun and learn some important fundamentals, but they weren’t going to factor into any future recruiting plans with this staff.
    Our message to high school athletes who are considering adding summer camps to their already incredibly busy schedules is this: Choose your camp locations carefully. Don’t go to a camp simply because it’s being hosted by a big-name school. Instead, camp at colleges that have already shown genuine interest in you; where you have already started building relationships with their coaching staff long before the camp date. That way, camps aren’t just a place to spend 3 or 4 days and hundreds (if not thousands) of dollars. Instead, they become part of your active recruiting game plan.
    Also, if you have your sights set on a particular college/university, and if you have the time and money to attend their camp, then do it! Go to their camp and have a blast. Hopefully, attending the camp will help solidify the coaches’ interest in you. But don’t put all your eggs in one basket, and don’t be incredibly surprised if the camp doesn’t produce a full-ride scholarship as a direct result of your attendance. For 99% of college prospects out there, several other stages of the recruiting process must occur before a scholarship offer is made.
    Finally, remember that college camps are opportunities for YOU to evaluate the coaching staff in person as well. While college coaches have the daunting task of narrowing their list of prospects from hundreds (sometimes thousands) down to just a select few, you too need to position yourself for multiple college options, and you should put in the time to thoroughly research these choices. Spending time on college campuses and spending time with college coaches is among your best research tactics.

Take another vacation, BTNT.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      It's among the most frequently-debated topics in the world of college recruiting. Let’s start with some of your questions.

What’s the big deal with summer college camps?

What’s the point of going to a camp, or two, or three this summer?

How do camps help me?

Should I include summer camps as part of my college recruiting strategy?

Will attending summer camps earn me scholarship offers?

Do they help increase exposure?

Am I required to go to a school’s camp in order to be recruited by them?

How many camps should I register for?

The truth is, as with many college recruiting-related topics, you’re bound to find several different perspectives and various answers to questions about summer camps. So depending on your individual collegiate goals, your projected Division I or II status, your availability and your budget, perhaps you should consider the pros and cons of attending summer college camps before filling your calendar with camp dates.
      The Good
      Networking. Summer camps are great for networking with coaches and prospective athletes. You’re going to meet other student-athletes from around the country and be able to share your experiences with kids from various backgrounds. Plus, it’s NEVER a bad idea to build relationships with coaches, and camps are great face to face venues.
      Instruction. Camps help enhance athletic development and skill levels with advanced college-level instruction. So if you’re on the cusp of starting next season, what you learn at a camp may help give you the edge!
      Accurate Assessment. Gain new perspective on your abilities by performing with and against other top players your age. It’s common to overrate yourself. Camps often provide a stage for helping you more precisely assess yourself.
      Unbiased Evaluation. College coaches usually don’t “sugar coat” things. So at camps, you’re likely to get the skinny about your true potential from credible sources that aren’t around you everyday.
      Fun. Camps can be a blast. Sure, you can pretty much count on working hard while you’re there, but most camps reserve plenty of time for fun activities as well.
      The Not-So Good
      Expensive. Camps aren’t cheap. In most cases, fees for overnight camps can range from $300 to $1,000, depending on the duration, format and amenities. So choose wisely.
      Crowds. It’s true… tons of kids show up to these things. You might visualize a few days of 1-on-1 instruction, only to show up with 500+ other prospects who are all expecting the same thing. So do your due diligence before registering. Know how many athletes will attend and understand the teaching format. It will spare you much disappointment.
      Exposure? Many camps have advertised in the past that their event was a great venue for creating national collegiate exposure. In reality, the only real exposure you should expect to receive is from the camp’s host university. In fact, NCAA passed rules which prohibit coaches from other colleges attending camps and combines off campus. So don’t attend a college camp this summer expecting national visibility, because it typically doesn’t happen.
      Where? A common question among prospective campers… which camps should I attend? Your big name, Division I powerhouses attract the nation’s top prospects AND hoards of other campers every year. And it makes sense, too. Traditionally, camping at Pac 10, Big 10 and SEC-level schools were considered great resume-builders for hopeful college prospects. The problem is, most college coaches at these schools are relying on the attendance of a few key recruits. One college coach from an east coast Division I program told me that of the 400+ campers he is expecting to host, only about 7 or*8 of these athletes are on his staff’s “short list,” he called it. In fact, these were kids his staff had been corresponding with well in advance of the camp, and that the camp was a great opportunity for them to see these kids face-to-face. The other 390+ campers were sure to have fun and learn some important fundamentals, but they weren’t going to factor into any future recruiting plans with this staff.
      Our message to high school athletes who are considering adding summer camps to their already incredibly busy schedules is this: Choose your camp locations carefully. Don’t go to a camp simply because it’s being hosted by a big-name school. Instead, camp at colleges that have already shown genuine interest in you; where you have already started building relationships with their coaching staff long before the camp date. That way, camps aren’t just a place to spend 3 or 4 days and hundreds (if not thousands) of dollars. Instead, they become part of your active recruiting game plan.
      Also, if you have your sights set on a particular college/university, and if you have the time and money to attend their camp, then do it! Go to their camp and have a blast. Hopefully, attending the camp will help solidify the coaches’ interest in you. But don’t put all your eggs in one basket, and don’t be incredibly surprised if the camp doesn’t produce a full-ride scholarship as a direct result of your attendance. For 99% of college prospects out there, several other stages of the recruiting process must occur before a scholarship offer is made.
      Finally, remember that college camps are opportunities for YOU to evaluate the coaching staff in person as well. While college coaches have the daunting task of narrowing their list of prospects from hundreds (sometimes thousands) down to just a select few, you too need to position yourself for multiple college options, and you should put in the time to thoroughly research these choices. Spending time on college campuses and spending time with college coaches is among your best research tactics.
      Well put. I would only add a couple of points.
      1. If the school is one of your targets, reach out to the coaches before hand, telling them you plan to attend and follow up with them at camp.
      2. Go with the notion that this is a try out. In many cases it is.

This approach was successful for our D.

Comment

Well put. I would only add a couple of points.
        1. If the school is one of your targets, reach out to the coaches before hand, telling them you plan to attend and follow up with them at camp.
        2. Go with the notion that this is a try out. In many cases it is.

This approach was successful for our D.
        Don't call your son the D word! What kind of parent are you?

Comment

Take another vacation, BTNT.
          Hey look, it's Mr. "There's BTNT" guy. Your Heiny detection skills while prolific, add no value. Notice my post, calling out the guy who calls out the guy, useless, right?

Do you have any thoughts on the substance?
          I find it helpful. Didn't understand this process with my older D. Approaching it very differently with my younger D. We are starting now and plan to use targeted camps as a way to
          1) Get a more accurate assessment
          2) Begin a relationship

With a few years to go, we are hoping the camps will provide a foundation for D to correspond with coach sharing schedule, etc.

Comment

Hey look, it's Mr. "There's BTNT" guy. Your Heiny detection skills while prolific, add no value. Notice my post, calling out the guy who calls out the guy, useless, right?

Do you have any thoughts on the substance?
            I find it helpful. Didn't understand this process with my older D. Approaching it very differently with my younger D. We are starting now and plan to use targeted camps as a way to
            1) Get a more accurate assessment
            2) Begin a relationship

With a few years to go, we are hoping the camps will provide a foundation for D to correspond with coach sharing schedule, etc.
            Silliness at its finest. Posting a bunch of paragraphs that sound like something with the perfunctory follow posts of yes my D is doing great. There's no there there. Who thinks sending a kid to a camp with 500+ kids with no prior contact of a serious nature with a coach would lead to anything? Just the same crap posing as expert advice over and over and over recycled 1000 times.

Comment

Silliness at its finest. Posting a bunch of paragraphs that sound like something with the perfunctory follow posts of yes my D is doing great. There's no there there. Who thinks sending a kid to a camp with 500+ kids with no prior contact of a serious nature with a coach would lead to anything? Just the same crap posing as expert advice over and over and over recycled 1000 times.
              Fits his pattern also - he stirs the pot (incessantly) every few weeks. It's been a few weeks since his last major melt down. Right on cue...and "quoting" a non existent article with no links. classic move.

Comment

OK look, I cannot stand BTDT and I call him out when he posts his usual "your kid is crap if they aren't on the national team " nonsense, but the original post didn't disparage anyone and had useful information. I don't care who posted it, and I am glad they did.

Comment

OK look, I cannot stand BTDT and I call him out when he posts his usual "your kid is crap if they aren't on the national team " nonsense, but the original post didn't disparage anyone and had useful information. I don't care who posted it, and I am glad they did.
                  No legitimacy whatsoever without it coming from a credible source. There's a motive. the bomb will drop shortly. Just you wait and see

Comment

With a few years to go, we are hoping the camps will provide a foundation for D to correspond with coach sharing schedule, etc.[/QUOTE]

Provide a foundation? After a FEW years? A foundation TO BEGIN talking with a coach?

You deserve BTDT.

Comment

Q: Who thinks sending a kid to camp with 500+ kids ....would lead to anything?
                      A1: Obviously 500+ Parents.

A2: "Anything" can be pretty broadly defined. Leads to some fun, leads to better insight as to where you stand, leads to being more comfortable in a combine/tryout situation, leads to having experience playing with older players.... lots of lead to benefits as far as I can see.

Q: Other than satisfying your OCD to falsely post "There's BTDT", do you have anything, ANYTHING constructive to offer to other readers?
                      A: Not that I have seen.

Comment

Provide a foundation? After a FEW years? A foundation TO BEGIN talking with a coach?

You deserve BTDT.[/QUOTE]

Why is this hard for you to understand?
                        as you point out there are 500+ kids at the camp, plus all the ones that email and fill out recruiting forms. Cutting through the noise is necessary. Attending the camp gives the coach the opportunity to directly evaluate the player and this will give the family either
                        a) Clear sense that D was another one among the masses, and probably not a great fit, so move on (this is most common)
                        b) There is a potential fit, and you establish ongoing communication. This starts early, and NCAA rules prohibit coach from contacting Player, but D can communicate game schedule (Hello Coach, we will be a Jeff Cup, here is my schedule... please come watch)

OP was simply sharing all the ways that a camp could be useful, along with fair warning that for the overwhelming majority there is no great payday.

Comment

Q: Who thinks sending a kid to camp with 500+ kids ....would lead to anything?
                          A1: Obviously 500+ Parents.

A2: "Anything" can be pretty broadly defined. Leads to some fun, leads to better insight as to where you stand, leads to being more comfortable in a combine/tryout situation, leads to having experience playing with older players.... lots of lead to benefits as far as I can see.

Q: Other than satisfying your OCD to falsely post "There's BTDT", do you have anything, ANYTHING constructive to offer to other readers?
                          A: Not that I have seen.
                          Guess you haven't been around these parts very long.

Comment

You deserve BTDT.
                            Why is this hard for you to understand?
                            as you point out there are 500+ kids at the camp, plus all the ones that email and fill out recruiting forms. Cutting through the noise is necessary. Attending the camp gives the coach the opportunity to directly evaluate the player and this will give the family either
                            a) Clear sense that D was another one among the masses, and probably not a great fit, so move on (this is most common)
                            b) There is a potential fit, and you establish ongoing communication. This starts early, and NCAA rules prohibit coach from contacting Player, but D can communicate game schedule (Hello Coach, we will be a Jeff Cup, here is my schedule... please come watch)

OP was simply sharing all the ways that a camp could be useful, along with fair warning that for the overwhelming majority there is no great payday.[/QUOTE]

You must have missed the expert's headline message, which is that the coach won't be watching you unless you ALREADY had developed a relationship and real interest. Enjoy all the fun though.

Comment

We started a one day camp to address some of these issues. We will not have 500 kids, we will have coaches working with your kid in small groups, we let you pick the coaches, coaches run drills and games.

We plan to have between 8/10 coaches for a 40 girl camp this summer. We do suggest you reach out before and after.

elitecollegecombine.com

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X