Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Development or Winning

At U14 wich should take precedence development or winning one should lead to the other ,but at what age should emphasis be on winning or at least putting the best team together for a better chance to win.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    At U14 wich should take precedence development or winning one should lead to the other ,but at what age should emphasis be on winning or at least putting the best team together for a better chance to win.
    Development. Team should be challenged and winning should be difficult, so they need to be placed at the correct level. Winning all of your games should be the attitude you try to instill but the goal should be to win a few more than you lose.

Comment

Winning is a learned behavior. Win.

Comment

Winning is a learned behavior. Win.
        Is it more beneficial for development to play up an age on a mid level team or to stay with your age on a stronger team?

Comment

Is it more beneficial for development to play up an age on a mid level team or to stay with your age on a stronger team?
          I should add that the older team would beat the younger one if they played. At this stage, their size, speed and strength create more of an advantage than the younger teams skill advantage.

Comment

I should add that the older team would beat the younger one if they played. At this stage, their size, speed and strength create more of an advantage than the younger teams skill advantage.
            that makes them a bunch of CUN.TS then fuc.king bullies mate

Comment

I was just thinking about this. One considering for focusing on winning is what it does for the kids. If the vast majority of kids that play soccer don't play for college, wouldn't it make sense for these kids to learn how to win? Realistically, for most of them, this will be the only useful thing that they'll get out of soccer that they'll carry with them their whole lives. I want my kid to desire to win, and to try to figure out a way to win. I want my kid to learn how to analyze a situation to engineer a win. That will help in the board room, and not just on the pitch.

Comment

I was just thinking about this. One considering for focusing on winning is what it does for the kids. If the vast majority of kids that play soccer don't play for college, wouldn't it make sense for these kids to learn how to win? Realistically, for most of them, this will be the only useful thing that they'll get out of soccer that they'll carry with them their whole lives. I want my kid to desire to win, and to try to figure out a way to win. I want my kid to learn how to analyze a situation to engineer a win. That will help in the board room, and not just on the pitch.
                Wow. Overthinking youth sports just a bit. The board room? Yes, let's make sure our lily-white privileged prepsters get a tightly manufactured and highly sanitized tutorial in upper middle class "winning."

Comment

If it is sport, everyone plays it to win. You lose you have the whole team mad or sad, you win only 5% or so are sad. Chances are those 5% are never happy anyway.

Comment

Wow. Overthinking youth sports just a bit. The board room? Yes, let's make sure our lily-white privileged prepsters get a tightly manufactured and highly sanitized tutorial in upper middle class "winning."
                    Chuckle all you like, but winning is addictive. It certainly invites the flames on this forum to discuss personal details, but back when I was a kid, I found I had a talent in one area. A thing I was really good at, and I won competitions. It felt good to win, and I realized I could apply myself in other areas to win in other ways. Winning is addictive for some people, and it can turn them into a Type A personality. Learning that hard work and focus can translate to wins is a good early lesson that can help you in life....even in the board room.

Comment

Chuckle all you like, but winning is addictive. It certainly invites the flames on this forum to discuss personal details, but back when I was a kid, I found I had a talent in one area. A thing I was really good at, and I won competitions. It felt good to win, and I realized I could apply myself in other areas to win in other ways. Winning is addictive for some people, and it can turn them into a Type A personality. Learning that hard work and focus can translate to wins is a good early lesson that can help you in life....even in the board room.
                      Rattling on: Conversely, losing, and then being told that "It's OK to lose because you are developing" may be a bad lesson. Telling a kid there are valid reasons not to try hard teaches them it's easier to find a reason not to try hard than it is to try hard. I want my kid to learn that they need to keep trying until they win...always.

Comment

Your wife despises you, and maybe not so secretly.

Comment

Please go drive your BMW 7-series off a cliff, with your Type A personality in it.

Comment

I want my kid to learn the game, how it's played, how to love it so they can pass that along to their kids. That's how we grow the game.

If I wanted them to concentrate on chasing after a ball afternoon, I can just send them to the park. Or, I would get a dog.

Comment

If you want to simply focus on winning, stay with town. You can play boot and run all you want.

If you're interested in development and possibly playing after HS, then development should continue to be the focus up and through HS.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X