Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

US Youth Soccer Rankings site shut down

While I did not always agree with some of the conclusions made by this site, its too bad that this leaves GotSoccer with a lock on this service.

Thanks for trying...

That is too bad. I preferred it to GS. But it seemed like nobody knew about it and these days without clicks you're toast.

Comment

The most accurate ranking site there was. Its a pity.

Comment

Shut down got soccer ranking as well. Ranking kid sports teams under high school ages has not been a positive force for the players, parents or the sports themselves. Useless uber competitive and destructive environment.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
          Shut down got soccer ranking as well. Ranking kid sports teams under high school ages has not been a positive force for the players, parents or the sports themselves. Useless uber competitive and destructive environment.
          And I do agree that the site was very well done and impressive. But why are we looking at it for some players that have not even hit puberty? Too much IMO and puts the focus on the wrong thing at too young an age.

Comment

And I do agree that the site was very well done and impressive. But why are we looking at it for some players that have not even hit puberty? Too much IMO and puts the focus on the wrong thing at too young an age.
            The rankings help tournament organizers determine who to accept, and in which division to place them.

Comment

The rankings help tournament organizers determine who to accept, and in which division to place them.
              Rankings are a bit of a necessary evil for that reason only. A big tournament has to have some place to start for placements. The unfortunate by-product is clubs/teams/parents chase after points to improve their rankings and placements. Going to the younger ages was a huge mistake - things change a great deal as teams move to 11v11, puberty hits, there's lots of roster churn. They should keep the results private for tourney organizers only until U14.

Too bad that site didn't last...they were doing a much better job.

Comment

Rankings are a bit of a necessary evil for that reason only. A big tournament has to have some place to start for placements. The unfortunate by-product is clubs/teams/parents chase after points to improve their rankings and placements. Going to the younger ages was a huge mistake - things change a great deal as teams move to 11v11, puberty hits, there's lots of roster churn. They should keep the results private for tourney organizers only until U14.

Too bad that site didn't last...they were doing a much better job.
                Somebody will fill the void.

Comment

The most accurate ranking site there was. Its a pity.
                  It was fundamentally flawed.

Comment

That is a serious loss. Just when i was finally able to get parents to stop talking about those stupid f'n GS rankings. No ranking/rating service would be better than GS's s h i t rankings.

Comment

It was fundamentally flawed.
                      Agreed. It's not that big of a loss. The site implied a level of precision in its rankings that simply didn't exist.

Like comparing 2 U-14 Girls teams; one ranked 7th with a score of 35.7 and one ranked 14th with a score of 32.4

The site explained that each time the two teams meet the team ranked 7th should beat the team ranked 14th by 3.3 goals.

Really?

If you're semi-literate with math and looked closely at how he computed the rankings it was B.S.

Not saying Got Soccer are any good but this site's rankings weren't really better - just different.

Comment

Agreed. It's not that big of a loss. The site implied a level of precision in its rankings that simply didn't exist.

Like comparing 2 U-14 Girls teams; one ranked 7th with a score of 35.7 and one ranked 14th with a score of 32.4

The site explained that each time the two teams meet the team ranked 7th should beat the team ranked 14th by 3.3 goals.

Really?

If you're semi-literate with math and looked closely at how he computed the rankings it was B.S.

Not saying Got Soccer are any good but this site's rankings weren't really better - just different.
                        Disagree completely. It was surprisingly accurate for the last 2 years that i have watched it. His estimate of 68% predictability seems about right, which is pretty amazing given the variables that go into it.

Comment

Disagree completely. It was surprisingly accurate for the last 2 years that i have watched it. His estimate of 68% predictability seems about right, which is pretty amazing given the variables that go into it.
                          Of course it's not going to be perfect, but I will miss it. I thought it did a good job by about mid season. The only recurring issue would be mixing some teams up when grabbing data from sites other than gotsoccer... like the CDL results.

Some soccer supply company should buy him out and advertise heavily on it.

Comment

youthsoccerrankings.us was by far, much better than gotsoccer. As a coach, I used it regularly to get an idea of who I was playing next, and most importantly, setting expectations with parents. Keeping you parents informed, and being honest with our chances of winning a tournment or getting spanked, is critical. gotsoccer was no where near as accurate. If I could find out who owned it, I would seriously consider continuing the operation with some improvements. Gotsoccer needs competition!

Comment

It was a much better site. I hope someone resurrects it or something even better. GS isn't awful, but it's highly flawed. Whoever runs it doesn't need to make improvements because they're the only game in town. You can't even get them to make changes to glaring, verifiable errors - your phone call goes into a black hole. Unfortunately we can't stop clubs or parents from obsessing about placements, but it would be great to let them obsess about something more accurate.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X