Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Mental toughness is important at any age but does ramp up as players get older. However, to say that skill development has somehow plateaued is crazy. Skill development is constant under a coach who knows what he/she is doing. Sounds like Surf overestimated their ability to attract and train good talent and was overly optimistic in division placement (and shame on EDP for listening to them; no brand new club should be put in the top bracket without proof of performance).

Again if your child is an 2003 like I was responding to, the player at this age on a high level team is not working on skill drills. They should know the skill set by now . Of course the player is always working on their touch and weight of passes. It's now the mental recognition of the game which takes over. Focus and ability to read the game should be paramount in further development of the game. The ones who grasp this are the ones who potentially have a chance to get to the next level.
    If your are an 2003 and are needing instruction to do cone drills, cryuff turns, L-cuts , scissors, step overs etc.... personally I feel you are behind the curve.

Comment

Again if your child is an 2003 like I was responding to, the player at this age on a high level team is not working on skill drills. They should know the skill set by now . Of course the player is always working on their touch and weight of passes. It's now the mental recognition of the game which takes over. Focus and ability to read the game should be paramount in further development of the game. The ones who grasp this are the ones who potentially have a chance to get to the next level.
      If your are an 2003 and are needing instruction to do cone drills, cryuff turns, L-cuts , scissors, step overs etc.... personally I feel you are behind the curve.
      "Skill" encompasses a whole host of attributes, from simple (as you describe) to highly advanced. Development is continual all the way up the soccer food chain. To say a 14 year old is now done developing skills and will only develop soccer IQ, reading tactics etc from this day forward is nuts

Comment

"Skill" encompasses a whole host of attributes, from simple (as you describe) to highly advanced. Development is continual all the way up the soccer food chain. To say a 14 year old is now done developing skills and will only develop soccer IQ, reading tactics etc from this day forward is nuts

Can you tell me the other advanced skills you talk about.

Comment

Wow that's quite an implosion. What's going on there? Used to be really solid
          A bit ago, NYSC sent out a email that said, amount other things, their desire (goal or something like that) was to have two teams at each age. I do not think that everyone realized that meant no more than two teams at each age. So the club is eliminating these 4 teams. At some level, I would think that keeping more than two teams at a level would be cash for the club, but don't claim to know anything about the economics. Also, keeping extra team(s) at a level like G03 would keep a pool of players to deal with attrition in the future. But again, I am a noivice.

There was a meeting for the G01 and G03 teams that had the fired coach. I believe a lot of the parents and their daughters were realizing for the first time they will not be around next year. And with their coach being fired, parents felt like their daughters will not get a fair shake.

The "implosion" I fear is that the cuts will be announced in April. How dedicated will the large number of players being cut be as the season drags on.

Comment

A bit ago, NYSC sent out a email that said, amount other things, their desire (goal or something like that) was to have two teams at each age. I do not think that everyone realized that meant no more than two teams at each age. So the club is eliminating these 4 teams. At some level, I would think that keeping more than two teams at a level would be cash for the club, but don't claim to know anything about the economics. Also, keeping extra team(s) at a level like G03 would keep a pool of players to deal with attrition in the future. But again, I am a noivice.

There was a meeting for the G01 and G03 teams that had the fired coach. I believe a lot of the parents and their daughters were realizing for the first time they will not be around next year. And with their coach being fired, parents felt like their daughters will not get a fair shake.

The "implosion" I fear is that the cuts will be announced in April. How dedicated will the large number of players being cut be as the season drags on.
            Thanks for the info. Will scratch that one off the list

Comment

Which coach got fired? Which team was it?Anyone know why?

Comment

What is their reasoning in eliminating teams? That happens so rarely in club soccer - 99% of the time they're trying to find any excuse to ADD teams and make more money.

Comment

What is their reasoning in eliminating teams? That happens so rarely in club soccer - 99% of the time they're trying to find any excuse to ADD teams and make more money.
                  I don't know if it's this the case with this club ... I have often seen clubs that expand too quickly find that they experience issues. The issues are:

- infrastructure (field space, tournamen coverage, coaches, etc) and
                  - quality (poor players, teams and coaches)

Inevitably the product will suffer so they try to scale back in subsequent years. The problem becomes how to stem the flood of the quality coaches and players that they want to keep in the more realistic model

Comment

Remember the girls side is the combination of NYSC and FC Westchester. In addition to G01 and G03, G04 thru G06 have 3 teams Assuming the same policy, a team at each of these three ages would also be eliminated. G07 has one team, so assume they might want to add.

Reality is most of the players cut will probably be from the lower former FCW teams (e.g., 01 had A and B at FCW). They did say that players had not been completely sorted by age this year, so a handful of players will change teams for next year to be on right age (no longer playing up). Depending on the net of the sorting by age and attrition, not clear how many slots will be available for players to move up to the two surviving teams.

Comment

At the younger ages like 07 & 08 its going to be hard for nysc to create 2 competitive teams when Surf is also creating teams in the westchester & lower ct area.

Comment

Remember the girls side is the combination of NYSC and FC Westchester. In addition to G01 and G03, G04 thru G06 have 3 teams Assuming the same policy, a team at each of these three ages would also be eliminated. G07 has one team, so assume they might want to add.

Reality is most of the players cut will probably be from the lower former FCW teams (e.g., 01 had A and B at FCW). They did say that players had not been completely sorted by age this year, so a handful of players will change teams for next year to be on right age (no longer playing up). Depending on the net of the sorting by age and attrition, not clear how many slots will be available for players to move up to the two surviving teams.
                        I never understood that merger to begin with. And it seems like if both clubs could maintain x number of teams pre-merger they should be able to do so post merger also?

Comment

I never understood that merger to begin with. And it seems like if both clubs could maintain x number of teams pre-merger they should be able to do so post merger also?
                          NYSC getting beat up on BOTN NYCFC GDA thread...many member parents citing implosion...

Comment

NYSC getting beat up on BOTN NYCFC GDA thread...many member parents citing implosion...
                            NYSC's implosion could be the shot in the arm Surf Westchester badly needs.

Comment

NYSC's implosion could be the shot in the arm Surf Westchester badly needs.
                              What NY Surf badly needs. They need a foothold somewhere any where

Comment

Someone at my daughter's team mentioned that supposedly a lot of the younger NYSC kids were trying to move to Surf, if not as a whole team then as a big chunk of one.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X