Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Mr. Kraft paid for my son to play soccer for 4 years and if I could have thanked him directly I would have. Obviously neither he or his son ever come near the academy teams and as most posters note, they would not pay for academy if they were not required to do so. Regardless, my son had many college options as a result of playing for the Revs. As parents we recognized that he would never be a home grown and that the program had flaws but the MLS clubs are still the best path to being recruited. All you have to do is attend one of the showcase events or the Gen Adidas Cup to see the college coaches searching out their next players. ISL and non MLS academy play will not result in this level of opportunity for recruitment. As long as your kid is playing reasonable minutes with the Revs, just deal with the "lack of development", "favoring of the chosen ones" , etc. At the end of the day, a good education from a great school will set up your son for a strong future.
    Waste of MLS academy efforts then.

Comment

Mr. Kraft paid for my son to play soccer for 4 years and if I could have thanked him directly I would have. Obviously neither he or his son ever come near the academy teams and as most posters note, they would not pay for academy if they were not required to do so. Regardless, my son had many college options as a result of playing for the Revs. As parents we recognized that he would never be a home grown and that the program had flaws but the MLS clubs are still the best path to being recruited. All you have to do is attend one of the showcase events or the Gen Adidas Cup to see the college coaches searching out their next players. ISL and non MLS academy play will not result in this level of opportunity for recruitment. As long as your kid is playing reasonable minutes with the Revs, just deal with the "lack of development", "favoring of the chosen ones" , etc. At the end of the day, a good education from a great school will set up your son for a strong future.
      Parent of player that did both: MLS and ISL. Without question the ISL did far more in putting my son in front of top colleges than MLS did. I don't think there is a single right answer , it is very specific to your individual circumstances.

And as the poster said 'a great school will set up your son for a strong future' - That goes for High School and College !

Comment

Not sure why you even care if you don't have a kid on the Revs?

Comment

So you acknowledge and settled for an inferior development model, denied your son the Varsity and multi sport environment throughout high school so a college coach can simply solicit him at the Generation Adidas event? Good move. Thank Kraft directly for what? A few pairs of Adidas plastic cleats? The real question is how does your son deep down really feel about what you forced him into. Doubt he would even share that with you, not many kids want to offend their dads. The Revs Academy or any MLS Academy serves its purpose for the top 1% of players. the rest (like your son), is a colossal waste of time, and are simply roster fillers and support players. It's strictly a professional path to the first team. National team appointments are a bonus. (again, for the top 1%) College coaches are maybe not at public high school events any more but they are certainly visible at the privates. They know the boys there are ready to be student athletes, they have been trained for that throughout. Ozor, Davock, Levee, Ominiu, Kunateh and hundreds of others from Massachusetts.( and that's only soccer) hockey, lacrosse and baseball players are heavily recruited as well.

Comment

Parent of player that did both: MLS and ISL. Without question the ISL did far more in putting my son in front of top colleges than MLS did. I don't think there is a single right answer , it is very specific to your individual circumstances.

And as the poster said 'a great school will set up your son for a strong future' - That goes for High School and College !
            Absolutely right, you can easily track former Revs Academy players and many played or are playing at the Umass', Stonehill, Merrimack and Dean College. Combination of poor academics and being pidgeon holed at the Revs for 4+ years. All support players not in the top percentile in their age groups. Parents need be realistic about this stuff. Your kid is not at the top echelon? Explore better options for him. You owe him that.

Comment

That's a problem with the entire system, not just the Revs. Clubs and USSF only care about less than 1% of players, while the remaining 99.5% only care about college.

Comment

Why would a DA player care about ownership

1. Majority are looking at college
                2. The lack of vision or opens opportunities for younger players
                The care when it impacts the coaching, which is lack luster at the Revs

Comment

In the end it's all about the education. Virtually none of these kids are going pro.

Comment

The care when it impacts the coaching, which is lack luster at the Revs
                    It's all about getting to college

Comment

It's all about getting to college
                      Everyone gets to college with decent grades and decent SAT's. Let's not pull any punches here, it's about going pro through the NCAA. Let's cut the crap. The alleged support players at the Revs Academy still hold hope of having a good collegiate soccer career and picked up through the MLS draft. It happens all the time. UVM product Brian Wright and Revs pick never even played academy soccer.

Comment

Absolutely right, you can easily track former Revs Academy players and many played or are playing at the Umass', Stonehill, Merrimack and Dean College. Combination of poor academics and being pidgeon holed at the Revs for 4+ years. All support players not in the top percentile in their age groups. Parents need be realistic about this stuff. Your kid is not at the top echelon? Explore better options for him. You owe him that.
                        Or if you know he is but the Revs don't agree- get out.

Comment

Folks that wanted to continue with the DA > college please continue your discussion on the Revs Academy thread/post.

Comment

Practice sticking out your index finger and pointing right at your own chest when your son is getting nothing but splinters in college and spirals downhill in 12 packs of natural light.

"But dad. I got meaningful minutes with the Revs! Now all I do is get cups of water".

"Well son, those boys that have left you in the dust and got the money you (I) thought you would get were probably working their butts off on their own rather than counting on simply putting on a Revs jersey to develop your skill level. My bad son. Don't fret. I still have the connection down at the DPW."

College is a whole other world, my friend.

Comment

Certainly sounds like you had liitle confidence in your son's talent and started laying the plan b foundation from the get go. That almost assures the outcome you got. Little wonder the DA isn't working, no one buys into the process.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X