Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    This is what the people who say the system is the issue in the US will never acknowledge. The most talented kids in this country (in numbers, always outliers) grow up dreaming of playing in the NFL/NBA/MLB and even NHL. Until we have a cultural shift in this country we won’t be competitive on the world stage. When the NFL DB that’s 6ft runs a 4.3 40, with ridiculous change of direction and 5/10 yard explosion starts picking soccer, we will have a chance. Parents in the US with truly elite kids don’t steer them towards soccer.
    I have heard this many times, but wonder how true it is. Most of the kids that are really talented started playing soccer at 3-5 and at 6-7 it became their travel sport... could you really tell you had an elite athlete when they picked soccer as their main sport?

Also, do you think an elite athlete like Xavi could have played football or basketball at the highest level?

Comment

US is so large that it's not about the best athletes..look at Iceland or some of the other small European countries that develop more world class players..it's about the culture. Tom Byers approach is spot on.. about the culture.. and leveling kids up from the get go at 3yrs old..

Comment

How to fix a problem.

Cristiano Ronaldo shows his workout routine ! unbelievable !

see here:
        https://youtu.be/cc71aVJtpIw

Comment

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I guess I have to keep on educating the uneducated. EJ and JJ gave the insight and truth about soccer in our country. They are exposing people. The good youth coaches will tell you the same thing. These leagues are fooling parents to pay tons of money. You think Messi paid $3-$4K a year?

Culture is the number one issue here. Soccer, sports, off the field. We're arrogant. We're not humble. We think we're the best. Blah Blah. Newsflash. We're not the best anymore besides in BS and capitalism.

Sports is other countries is a way of life. Here, it's about the social life. It's about showing off. It's about status. It's about looking cool.

Scenario 1: Man steps talks to his work buddies at the office water cooler. "Guys. My daughter is playing in a tournament in Virginia this weekend. Taking the family. Should be good time."

In reality, daughter plays five minutes a half because the coach was forced to take her Parents don't see reality and are paying a lot of money instead of playing in a local town club which would more suitable. Just like EJ said. There are tons of players that don't belong in DA or ECNL but mommy and daddy can afford it.

Scenario 2: Woman gathers other parents on the teams and bashes the coach. "He picks his favorite and doesn't pick my kid that attends every practice and game. Coach sucks."

In reality, kid doesn't belong there. Instead of working hard, let's bash and criticize people. That's the American way. We don't want to be challenged, like EJ said. We want guarantees. "Oh, I paid for the year."

Scenario 3: Parents gathers other parents complaining about new players joining taking the roster over 18 and leading to rotation or players to B team. "That's not fair. I paid for a spot."

In reality, two players came in and are instantly better than half the team. Just like in the workforce, if you can improve your staff, you improve your staff.

Stop bashing this interview. This is what America needs. The Truth. Stop complaining. Stop berating people. Work and be humble. Sad state what the former number one country has become. Hatred and divided.

The rest of the world, lives and breathes sports. We go to sporting events to tailgate and have a good time. Other countries are talking about strategy and line up possibilities. We're talking about beer and hot dogs!

God Bless America. Truly. May it be great again once politicians are replaced with actual leaders and not people that only care about pockets. Use your voice. Stop falling for BS and listen to people telling the truth like EJ and JJ did.

Comment

this is so much more idiotic than anything that comes out of eddie Johnson's mouth. yeah odell beckham if he just played soccer would be like messi, hazard, isco, de bruyne, Dybala....wow those guys are ELITE ATHLETES...6 feet or taller, 4.3 40s with RIDICULOUS CHANGE OF DIRECTION...great shuttle drill times and 40 inch verts...combine animals who could play in the nba or nfl. they are midgets other than de bruyne. lol you are an idiot. it has nothing to do with what athletes play in America. it's how soccer is taught here, our cultural approach to soccer, how it is run by US soccer...
            Yea they guy who says elite athletes would make great soccer players if they started young and kept with it is an idiot Lol.

Comment

If you watch the interview they bring up good points. If mls didn't have silly rules Pulsic could have been signed by Philadelphia and sold to Europe for a lot of team. Other countries develop and later on sell kids to make huge profits. We charge here and make short term profit while the other way, would actually make more money. Would need major sponsorship but these guys have a point.

Comment

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I guess I have to keep on educating the uneducated. EJ and JJ gave the insight and truth about soccer in our country. They are exposing people. The good youth coaches will tell you the same thing. These leagues are fooling parents to pay tons of money. You think Messi paid $3-$4K a year?

Culture is the number one issue here. Soccer, sports, off the field. We're arrogant. We're not humble. We think we're the best. Blah Blah. Newsflash. We're not the best anymore besides in BS and capitalism.

Sports is other countries is a way of life. Here, it's about the social life. It's about showing off. It's about status. It's about looking cool.

Scenario 1: Man steps talks to his work buddies at the office water cooler. "Guys. My daughter is playing in a tournament in Virginia this weekend. Taking the family. Should be good time."

In reality, daughter plays five minutes a half because the coach was forced to take her Parents don't see reality and are paying a lot of money instead of playing in a local town club which would more suitable. Just like EJ said. There are tons of players that don't belong in DA or ECNL but mommy and daddy can afford it.

Scenario 2: Woman gathers other parents on the teams and bashes the coach. "He picks his favorite and doesn't pick my kid that attends every practice and game. Coach sucks."

In reality, kid doesn't belong there. Instead of working hard, let's bash and criticize people. That's the American way. We don't want to be challenged, like EJ said. We want guarantees. "Oh, I paid for the year."

Scenario 3: Parents gathers other parents complaining about new players joining taking the roster over 18 and leading to rotation or players to B team. "That's not fair. I paid for a spot."

In reality, two players came in and are instantly better than half the team. Just like in the workforce, if you can improve your staff, you improve your staff.

Stop bashing this interview. This is what America needs. The Truth. Stop complaining. Stop berating people. Work and be humble. Sad state what the former number one country has become. Hatred and divided.

The rest of the world, lives and breathes sports. We go to sporting events to tailgate and have a good time. Other countries are talking about strategy and line up possibilities. We're talking about beer and hot dogs!

God Bless America. Truly. May it be great again once politicians are replaced with actual leaders and not people that only care about pockets. Use your voice. Stop falling for BS and listen to people telling the truth like EJ and JJ did.
                I wasn't born in this country and I would agree that there is a different way to watch a world cup game... not even like the super bowl. It is all about soccer. Yeah, there may be a barbecue, but it is all about the game. If the game is mid-week, businesses will close early or there would be TVs brought in to work. The streets would be completely empty.

Comment

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Thank you for this very insightful post. I wasn't born here and was very naive about youth sports when my children started playing. In this country, it is all about who has the most money. Period. And yes, sports are social events. People brag about player X and Y and talk about yesterday's game as if they even played the sport before. The reality: they just rephrase the FS1 commenter's summary.

Now as a country, we look for superstar players who show up and all of a sudden know how to play, how to fight, how to run, without much education. We don't respect hard work. We don't respect underdogs. We want heroes from day one.

Some said clubs are willing to let talented players play for free. Sounds good in principle. But in reality? How can a 12-year-old show "talent" when his only experience is playing rec soccer, the only thing his/her parents can afford? Moreover, soccer is a business. Not so many clubs have the patience for player development. They need trophies, championships, college commitments, to lure more business. The talented, under-privileged player without the experience, won't have any chance at all. Not to mention the player might have parents each with more than one job to make a living. Who is doing to drive this kid around for all these fancy games? I had seen it happen myself.

Unfortunately, I have seen all three scenarios you laid out. And my kid have experienced scenario 2 and 3 herself.

The outcome from scenario 2: a good coach got ousted because some parents think they know better and their daughters deserve more time. The team fell apart and we don't have a team in 2020 spring.

The outcome from scenario 3: my kid was the new kid. While she didn't get rotated. Her playtime became the focus of other parents since she is the new kid.

I call all these soccer politics and unfortunately, it plays out every day.

Comment

I wasn't born in this country and I would agree that there is a different way to watch a world cup game... not even like the super bowl. It is all about soccer. Yeah, there may be a barbecue, but it is all about the game. If the game is mid-week, businesses will close early or there would be TVs brought in to work. The streets would be completely empty.
                    Exactly. Other countries shut down during the World Cup while ours plays tournaments. The cultural is just different. Europeans will take a month off and enjoy time with family friends. We just work. Some for bills. Others work for fun. Change the culture after this crisis! Appreciate and respect people!

Comment

Thank you for this very insightful post. I wasn't born here and was very naive about youth sports when my children started playing. In this country, it is all about who has the most money. Period. And yes, sports are social events. People brag about player X and Y and talk about yesterday's game as if they even played the sport before. The reality: they just rephrase the FS1 commenter's summary.

Now as a country, we look for superstar players who show up and all of a sudden know how to play, how to fight, how to run, without much education. We don't respect hard work. We don't respect underdogs. We want heroes from day one.

Some said clubs are willing to let talented players play for free. Sounds good in principle. But in reality? How can a 12-year-old show "talent" when his only experience is playing rec soccer, the only thing his/her parents can afford? Moreover, soccer is a business. Not so many clubs have the patience for player development. They need trophies, championships, college commitments, to lure more business. The talented, under-privileged player without the experience, won't have any chance at all. Not to mention the player might have parents each with more than one job to make a living. Who is doing to drive this kid around for all these fancy games? I had seen it happen myself.

Unfortunately, I have seen all three scenarios you laid out. And my kid have experienced scenario 2 and 3 herself.

The outcome from scenario 2: a good coach got ousted because some parents think they know better and their daughters deserve more time. The team fell apart and we don't have a team in 2020 spring.

The outcome from scenario 3: my kid was the new kid. While she didn't get rotated. Her playtime became the focus of other parents since she is the new kid.

I call all these soccer politics and unfortunately, it plays out every day.
                      no kid is playing for free because of something a club saw her/him do in rec. a kid playing for free at a top club around here is doing so because they played that club and they were the best player on the field even if they were playing on a scrub team that got drilled.

Comment

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Tremendous post, love you speaking the truth. Must be shared even if people will bash because they are buying (yes literally buying) into a flawed pay to play system.

Comment

Tremendous post, love you speaking the truth. Must be shared even if people will bash because they are buying (yes literally buying) into a flawed pay to play system.
                          Where do you propose the money will come from if it’s not from parents? I’m not arguing it’s a good system, but what’s the alternative? MLS Clubs can only fund their own academies at limited ages. Soccer isn’t culturally ingrained in the US so the apparel companies won’t fund it like they do AAU BBall and 7 v 7 football circuit.

Comment

Where do you propose the money will come from if it’s not from parents? I’m not arguing it’s a good system, but what’s the alternative? MLS Clubs can only fund their own academies at limited ages. Soccer isn’t culturally ingrained in the US so the apparel companies won’t fund it like they do AAU BBall and 7 v 7 football circuit.
                            It's start with leagues and tournaments slashing prices. Then US Soccer supplements along with every outfitter such as Nike, Adidas, UA, etc. If they don't want to sponsor, then every youth club boycotts. After the big corporations see how fast they'd lose money, you'll see how fast they start sponsoring youth clubs. Sponsor as in pay them and offer gear.

An other way. Big clubs like RB and PDA want to sign players from local town clubs. No problem. They must pay them a fee. The travel club can then take that money and reinvest in the club. That's how the rest of the world works.

Comment

It's start with leagues and tournaments slashing prices. Then US Soccer supplements along with every outfitter such as Nike, Adidas, UA, etc. If they don't want to sponsor, then every youth club boycotts. After the big corporations see how fast they'd lose money, you'll see how fast they start sponsoring youth clubs. Sponsor as in pay them and offer gear.

An other way. Big clubs like RB and PDA want to sign players from local town clubs. No problem. They must pay them a fee. The travel club can then take that money and reinvest in the club. That's how the rest of the world works.

Kind of making the point, the money to fund youth soccer would be very difficult to raise to support beyond the top 1%. US Soccer just got out of the youth game and corporations won’t do it in the US (soccer isn’t popular enough) and transfer fees for 10 year olds isn't happening .

Beyond MLS academies the money isn’t there.

Comment

If you watch the interview they bring up good points. If mls didn't have silly rules Pulsic could have been signed by Philadelphia and sold to Europe for a lot of team. Other countries develop and later on sell kids to make huge profits. We charge here and make short term profit while the other way, would actually make more money. Would need major sponsorship but these guys have a point.
                                Pulsic said while he was playing for PA Classics that he didn't want to leave his team and didn't want to play for Philly Union team.

Ajax's entire business model is developing youth, showcasing them and selling them of.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X