Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Parents Out Thousands Of Dollars As Barcelona Licensee Shutters Soccer Academies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Parents Out Thousands Of Dollars As Barcelona Licensee Shutters Soccer Academies

Soccer parents across Canada are out of pocket thousands of dollars after BCN Sports Services Canada closed down operations of its five Barça Academies last week.

BCN has operated academies and soccer camps for six years in Toronto, Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Montreal, and most recently Ottawa, under a license arrangement with FC Barcelona.

As a licensee, BCN Sports Services is responsible for the financial aspects of the Canadian operation while undertaking to meet the technical standards set by Barcelona.

Barcelona acknowledged the closing of the Canadian Academies on its website on Saturday. The chain of events caused by the spread of coronavirus was given as the reason for the demise of the Canadian licensee’s operation.

Today In: SportsMoney

Will Notre Dame Have To Drop A Sport? AD Jack Swarbrick Hopes Not
    What’s Next For Serie A After Juventus Star Paulo Dybala Recovers From Coronavirus
    Jose Mourinho Won’t Be The Only Premier League Manager Asked To Think Differently This Summer
    Up to 1,000 youth players across Canada may be impacted by the closing.

On the BCN website, which was still operating as of Monday, the company is described as “one of the leading worldwide service providers in the youth sports industry.” It lists its services and locations as soccer camps and academies in Canada, USA, Australia, New Zealand and China, as well as clinics in Spain, Mexico, and Dominican Republic.

PROMOTED

FC Barcelona Opens First US Office
    NEW YORK, NY - SEPTEMBER 06: FC Barcelona and the NY Department of Education host a camp featuring ... [+] GETTY IMAGES
    As the franchise holder, Barcelona’s website lists more than 50 Academies operating on 180 campuses across 5 continents with player registrations exceeding 45,000.

Each year, the Ciutat Esportiva Joan Gamper hosts a Barça World Cup for the global academies. Each academy selects their top players to participate at different age levels although, in Canada at least, the players have to cover the cost.

For Canadian players, the least expensive package was around $2,600 plus air fare with some packages costing significantly more. Payments to confirm a players spot on a team required full payment by January 15.

The 2020 event was scheduled from April 6 to 9 with around 2,100 players and families attending from over 20 countries. However, as the full force of COVID-19 stunned the world the competition was cancelled on March 10. Many Canadian parents expected trip costs to be refunded but it seems that no money was returned.

Meanwhile, other parents were seeking refunds, without success, for soccer camps offered by Barça Academy Canada - the camps also cancelled on account of the medical emergency.

However, late last week frustration turned to anger as parents were told that BCN Sports was filing for bankruptcy.

One parent has already set up a private Facebook group called “BCN Sports and Barça Academy Defrauded Us,” and there over 115 members subscribed in just a few days. Many members of the group are owed substantial amounts of money and there is also word that the group may hire a lawyer to further its claims.

BCN Sports Services Canada was offered, via email, a chance to comment on the situation and parents’ concerns but there was no response.

A FC Barcelona source told me on Monday that the club is working with the agency hired to arrange accommodations for (BCN) families traveling to the Barça World Cup in the hope that some money can be refunded.

Later in the day Barcelona issued an announcement to families regarding Barça Academy projects in Canada. Barcelona informed the families that the club was committed to ensuring that BCN Sports responds to all those impacted by the closures and that the club expects BCN Sports to assume “full responsibility, including financial obligations” originating “from its decision to imminently close the five venues, as well as the Barça Academy Camps”.

How BCN Sports might do all this while working through the bankruptcy process was not made clear by Barcelona.

Stay tuned Canada last week maybe Barce LI next week....

They did not register forcstate cup or Jeff cup to save money....now with this environment.....

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Stay tuned Canada last week maybe Barce LI next week....

They did not register for the state cup or Jeff cup to save money....now with this environment.....
      Here we go again, rumors galore SMH

Comment

I dont think anyone would be completely shocked if Barca went away.

Comment

I dont think anyone would be completely shocked if Barca went away.
          Literally every soccer club there is, is in danger of folding right now.

Comment

Here we go again, rumors galore SMH
            So do you disagree they did not register for State cup or Jeff cup?

Comment

I don’t understand what Barca did since the end of the fall ‘19 season. Can we get someone to clarify. It’s my understanding that they had limited training sessions over the winter and players were participating in tournaments on their own. I know I saw two teams near my son’s age group play in “winter” team kits ran by a parent. So between that and our current hiatus, how much have they done in the last 6 months?

Great training? Yeah, I guess, but are you training more with outside trainers or with the club where you’re paying for it?

Comment

I don’t understand what Barca did since the end of the fall ‘19 season. Can we get someone to clarify. It’s my understanding that they had limited training sessions over the winter and players were participating in tournaments on their own. I know I saw two teams near my son’s age group play in “winter” team kits ran by a parent. So between that and our current hiatus, how much have they done in the last 6 months?

Great training? Yeah, I guess, but are you training more with outside trainers or with the club where you’re paying for it?

our team played in a winter indoor league organized and trained by the club and our coach. We were training indoors 2x's a week right up until the end of Feb when all the shut down stuff happened. Then BAM shut down like everyone else.

Comment

our team played in a winter indoor league organized and trained by the club and our coach. We were training indoors 2x's a week right up until the end of Feb when all the shut down stuff happened. Then BAM shut down like everyone else.
                  The shut down happened Friday, March 13th.

Did you feel your winter program was lacking? Does it surprise you that many Barca players created outside teams to compete in tournaments? Did you feel compelled to do outside supplemental training because of their winter training schedule?

Comment

Barca

Yes, the winter training was definitely lacking as they didn't get indoor locations till real late and then only with parent's help. They have a fitness trainer who I believe is from Barcelona who is horrible. He talks more than trains. Communication is still horrible. Not sure what they are doing with our $$ and they were still collecting monthly dues in April.

Comment

The shut down happened Friday, March 13th.

Did you feel your winter program was lacking? Does it surprise you that many Barca players created outside teams to compete in tournaments? Did you feel compelled to do outside supplemental training because of their winter training schedule?
                      ours was good, training 2x's a week and indoor league on the weekend. Parents didn't have to do anything.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                      Auto-Saved
                      x
                      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                      x
                      Working...
                      X