The coronavirus might bring the small clubs back to the forefront

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"When the company you worked for no longer exists it is kind of hard to just get that job back."

If one comapny folds, another will open to replace it. It's how this works.

"Moody's predicts that it could take until 2025 to regain the lost jobs as a result of Covid-19."

I read the Moody's report and that is NOT what it says. It says there is a worst case scenario where that could be true. Sorta like the models that predicted over 2MM may die from CV-19 in the US. Be smarter...

"If this drags on into the summer this will make the housing crisis of 2008 look pale in comparison. This is a global problem where there are no lenders who are safe right now. But, ok, little town soccer is going to flourish."

Hate to break it to you but there were ZERO lenders in 08. That WAS the problem. The capital markets dried up and there wasnt enough capital on the banks balance sheets and other financial institutions to lend. Same as what you are theorizing. The government stepped in an lent to the banks. Just like they are doing with TALF, etc., now. You guys are looking at this in a micro sense. The macro picture isnt as bleak. It's gonna be ugly short term, but if you have a longer horizon (which you should), things will work out.

Obviously soccer is not the major issue now, but this IS a soccer board, so that's what we are talking about....Sheesh

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      "When the company you worked for no longer exists it is kind of hard to just get that job back."

If one comapny folds, another will open to replace it. It's how this works.

"Moody's predicts that it could take until 2025 to regain the lost jobs as a result of Covid-19."

I read the Moody's report and that is NOT what it says. It says there is a worst case scenario where that could be true. Sorta like the models that predicted over 2MM may die from CV-19 in the US. Be smarter...

"If this drags on into the summer this will make the housing crisis of 2008 look pale in comparison. This is a global problem where there are no lenders who are safe right now. But, ok, little town soccer is going to flourish."

Hate to break it to you but there were ZERO lenders in 08. That WAS the problem. The capital markets dried up and there wasnt enough capital on the banks balance sheets and other financial institutions to lend. Same as what you are theorizing. The government stepped in an lent to the banks. Just like they are doing with TALF, etc., now. You guys are looking at this in a micro sense. The macro picture isnt as bleak. It's gonna be ugly short term, but if you have a longer horizon (which you should), things will work out.

Obviously soccer is not the major issue now, but this IS a soccer board, so that's what we are talking about....Sheesh
      What is "short term" versus "long term" is relative.

Yes, of course things will get better, long term horizon. But if you have a kid in HS right now the short term is the entirety of their remaining school years.

If you are a rising Senior there is every chance you played your last organized soccer this past November, particularly if you play HS soccer in the North East.

If your kid is a rising junior with aspirations of playing in college and there is no soccer until NEXT spring, you are screwed. Non-committed rising seniors are very much screwed as well. So there is a large group of players who may simply walk away from the game outside of HS soccer at that point.

Now, count backwards:
      Rising Sophomores- A very strange timeline. They are just beginning to showcase so not the end of the world but the "trapped kids" may get screwed by their teammates walking away from the game.

Rising Freshmen- They should be fine but will have to navigate the fallout carefully. Fallout could be any number of variables, club mergers, leagues dissolving, clubs dissolving. This goes for non college bound rising Sophomores, Juniors and Seniors.

Here we can think more long term.

For middle school kids, well, the coming year will be chaotic to say the least and it will certainly derail many kids.

For elementary kids. It will not be a big deal for them other than falling behind in the short term but they will have a clearer picture moving forward and should be fine.

Comment

What is "short term" versus "long term" is relative.

Yes, of course things will get better, long term horizon. But if you have a kid in HS right now the short term is the entirety of their remaining school years.

If you are a rising Senior there is every chance you played your last organized soccer this past November, particularly if you play HS soccer in the North East.

If your kid is a rising junior with aspirations of playing in college and there is no soccer until NEXT spring, you are screwed. Non-committed rising seniors are very much screwed as well. So there is a large group of players who may simply walk away from the game outside of HS soccer at that point.

Now, count backwards:
        Rising Sophomores- A very strange timeline. They are just beginning to showcase so not the end of the world but the "trapped kids" may get screwed by their teammates walking away from the game.

Rising Freshmen- They should be fine but will have to navigate the fallout carefully. Fallout could be any number of variables, club mergers, leagues dissolving, clubs dissolving. This goes for non college bound rising Sophomores, Juniors and Seniors.

Here we can think more long term.

For middle school kids, well, the coming year will be chaotic to say the least and it will certainly derail many kids.

For elementary kids. It will not be a big deal for them other than falling behind in the short term but they will have a clearer picture moving forward and should be fine.
        Accurate analysis- just thinking of all the fools that spent thousands on the exposure of ECNL and DA - and then the coronovirus wiped all of soccer and the D1 dreams away.. should give lot of people perspective.

Comment

"What is "short term" versus "long term" is relative."

Let me give you a brief life lesson. EVERYTHING is relative.

"Yes, of course things will get better, long term horizon. But if you have a kid in HS right now the short term is the entirety of their remaining school years."

Very true, s/he may well have played their last high school soccer game. Life lesson II, boo hoo. It's a fricking soccer game. S/he will face much more adversity in his/her life.

"If you are a rising Senior there is every chance you played your last organized soccer this past November, particularly if you play HS soccer in the North East."

And???? See answer above.

"If your kid is a rising junior with aspirations of playing in college and there is no soccer until NEXT spring, you are screwed."

They are really in the same [position as everyone else. The coaches in the NE will be looking at kids locally and talking to the high school coaches about the rising Jrs and Sophs. IF they were good enough they would have been flagged by now.

"Non-committed rising seniors are very much screwed as well. So there is a large group of players who may simply walk away from the game outside of HS soccer at that point."

The world is falling. Let's be honest. If they were good enough, they'd have their place. Your talking about lesser talents. In the grand scheme, it's good for them to move on.

"Now, count backwards:

Rising Freshmen- They should be fine but will have to navigate the fallout carefully. Fallout could be any number of variables, club mergers, leagues dissolving, clubs dissolving. This goes for non college bound rising Sophomores, Juniors and Seniors. "

I agree no impact for any Sophs or Frosh. Really no impact for JR or SR bc all the good ones have been scouted and signed or will be signed.

"Here we can think more long term.

For middle school kids, well, the coming year will be chaotic to say the least and it will certainly derail many kids."

No it wont. The devoted will continue to be devoted. If they werent devoted enough to stick with it, they werent meant to be soccer players.

"For elementary kids. It will not be a big deal for them other than falling behind in the short term but they will have a clearer picture moving forward and should be fine."

Agreed.

Comment

"Accurate analysis- just thinking of all the fools that spent thousands on the exposure of ECNL and DA - and then the coronovirus wiped all of soccer and the D1 dreams away.. should give lot of people perspective."

That $$ was wasted regardless. Either Johnnie was good enough by now or he wasnt. CV19 didnt do anything to him/her.

Comment

"Accurate analysis- just thinking of all the fools that spent thousands on the exposure of ECNL and DA - and then the coronovirus wiped all of soccer and the D1 dreams away.. should give lot of people perspective."

That $$ was wasted regardless. Either Johnnie was good enough by now or he wasnt. CV19 didnt do anything to him/her.
              For rising seniors that is true. For rising juniors they have to make the most of their opportunities when they become available.

There will likely be entire class years at many mid major and smaller schools who are composed of 80% walkons.

Comment

Not if your kid is a rising junior or younger .

Also, this may make people reconsider having their kids play ECNL at the ages of u13,u14, U15 those are the fools wasting their money , on some mythical exposure- troubled times ahead for ECNL with the economic impact of the virus.

Comment

Accurate analysis- just thinking of all the fools that spent thousands on the exposure of ECNL and DA - and then the coronovirus wiped all of soccer and the D1 dreams away.. should give lot of people perspective.
                  I'm one of those "fools" and I couldn't disagree more. The majority of the schools my kid was targeting/corresponding with have all been in touch with her club coach, reiterating interest and stating they're moving full steam ahead on June 15th, claiming they would've probably already made offers based on what they've seen, had the new rules not gone into effect. My kid is still receiving new interest from coaches, as recently as last week, based on film from showcases earlier this year.
                  Now in the unlikely event that every school my kid was corresponding with (about 10) shuts down their athletic program, then maybe I'll lament over the money spent. But considering most of the schools she's targeting have endowments of 750M-2+B, I feel confident that they won't shut down their athletics program. I'm guessing the coaches feel the same way.

Comment

"What is "short term" versus "long term" is relative."

Let me give you a brief life lesson. EVERYTHING is relative.

You put up the term "short term". I simply contextualized it.

"Yes, of course things will get better, long term horizon. But if you have a kid in HS right now the short term is the entirety of their remaining school years."

Very true, s/he may well have played their last high school soccer game. Life lesson II, boo hoo. It's a fricking soccer game. S/he will face much more adversity in his/her life.

I just simply stated a point of fact. I didn't embellish it with "poor, poor seniors". But yes, they did get screwed and so will people who lost their jobs. Their disappointment over their soccer playing days ending 6 months sooner is temporary. Your being a dick about it is permanent.

"If you are a rising Senior there is every chance you played your last organized soccer this past November, particularly if you play HS soccer in the North East."

And???? See answer above.

And, see my response above. Your being a dick about it is likely permanent.

"If your kid is a rising junior with aspirations of playing in college and there is no soccer until NEXT spring, you are screwed."

They are really in the same [position as everyone else. The coaches in the NE will be looking at kids locally and talking to the high school coaches about the rising Jrs and Sophs. IF they were good enough they would have been flagged by now.

I don't disagree with this but it also really depends on how long this goes on. While many kids are flagged that doesn't mean they are done or don't want to see more of the kids. Coaches can't even talk to the rising Juniors until June as it is and they really only started to seriously look at that class this year. How much they get to see them in the coming year is TBD.

"Non-committed rising seniors are very much screwed as well. So there is a large group of players who may simply walk away from the game outside of HS soccer at that point."

The world is falling. Let's be honest. If they were good enough, they'd have their place. Your talking about lesser talents. In the grand scheme, it's good for them to move on.

Lots of kids still get signed in their senior year. Yes, it is understood that these are not the top echelon of players but you might seriously get being such a dick looked at.

"Now, count backwards:

Rising Freshmen- They should be fine but will have to navigate the fallout carefully. Fallout could be any number of variables, club mergers, leagues dissolving, clubs dissolving. This goes for non college bound rising Sophomores, Juniors and Seniors. "

I agree no impact for any Sophs or Frosh. Really no impact for JR or SR bc all the good ones have been scouted and signed or will be signed.

We are in full lock step here.

"Here we can think more long term.

For middle school kids, well, the coming year will be chaotic to say the least and it will certainly derail many kids."

No it wont. The devoted will continue to be devoted. If they werent devoted enough to stick with it, they werent meant to be soccer players.

It will be chaotic for them. The chaos is more on the level as the birth year change was chaotic for some age groups more than others. The fallout could be clubs merging, folding, coaches getting laid off etc..

"For elementary kids. It will not be a big deal for them other than falling behind in the short term but they will have a clearer picture moving forward and should be fine."

Agreed.

Full lock step.

Comment

Not if your kid is a rising junior or younger .

Also, this may make people reconsider having their kids play ECNL at the ages of u13,u14, U15 those are the fools wasting their money , on some mythical exposure- troubled times ahead for ECNL with the economic impact of the virus.
                      You have it wrong all wrong. Kids get seen at younger ages now. If they were spotted at U15, you wouldnt have people crying about rising juniors and seniors. Coaches ID kids at U15 now. High school soccer is CRAP. The best kids play club soccer and the top schools see them there. If you want to go to local pissant U, maybe high school is your answer.

Comment

"You put up the term "short term". I simply contextualized it."

No you didnt. You set up a strawman. I was talking specifically about the economy. Not soccer. Nice try. Maybe you should learn what context means....

"I just simply stated a point of fact. I didn't embellish it with "poor, poor seniors". But yes, they did get screwed and so will people who lost their jobs. Their disappointment over their soccer playing days ending 6 months sooner is temporary. Your being a dick about it is permanent."

You didnt state a SINGLE fact. IF they didnt have a spot already, they were not worthy of a spot. Tough luck. Reality ='s "dick" in your world. Blame daddy and those late nights of hiding the sausage, not me.

"And, see my response above. Your being a dick about it is likely permanent."

See my more relevant retort.

"I don't disagree with this but it also really depends on how long this goes on. While many kids are flagged that doesn't mean they are done or don't want to see more of the kids. Coaches can't even talk to the rising Juniors until June as it is and they really only started to seriously look at that class this year. How much they get to see them in the coming year is TBD."

Not really genius, everyone is in the same position. Since they are flagged they will be evaluated on the same basis as everyone else who is not playing. I feel like I conversing with someone with a sub-60 IQ. IF youre a rising JR you know who's serious and who isnt.

"Lots of kids still get signed in their senior year. Yes, it is understood that these are not the top echelon of players but you might seriously get being such a dick looked at."

Not at the schools anyone would want to attend. You are talking about schools people dont chose to attend, but rather have to, which based upon your logic and writing skills spat you out...

"We are in full lock step here."

I must be wrong then.

It will be chaotic for th"em. The chaos is more on the level as the birth year change was chaotic for some age groups more than others. The fallout could be clubs merging, folding, coaches getting laid off etc.."

Everything is chaotic for a middle schooler. Soccer will not be chaotic. Missing school and their friendships will be chaotic. The devoted are practicing and training just as much as they would otherwise and will be unaffected.

Pull up your big boy pants and be a man. And wipe the goo off your chin..

Comment

"You put up the term "short term". I simply contextualized it."

No you didnt. You set up a strawman. I was talking specifically about the economy. Not soccer. Nice try. Maybe you should learn what context means....

"I just simply stated a point of fact. I didn't embellish it with "poor, poor seniors". But yes, they did get screwed and so will people who lost their jobs. Their disappointment over their soccer playing days ending 6 months sooner is temporary. Your being a dick about it is permanent."

You didnt state a SINGLE fact. IF they didnt have a spot already, they were not worthy of a spot. Tough luck. Reality ='s "dick" in your world. Blame daddy and those late nights of hiding the sausage, not me.

"And, see my response above. Your being a dick about it is likely permanent."

See my more relevant retort.

"I don't disagree with this but it also really depends on how long this goes on. While many kids are flagged that doesn't mean they are done or don't want to see more of the kids. Coaches can't even talk to the rising Juniors until June as it is and they really only started to seriously look at that class this year. How much they get to see them in the coming year is TBD."

Not really genius, everyone is in the same position. Since they are flagged they will be evaluated on the same basis as everyone else who is not playing. I feel like I conversing with someone with a sub-60 IQ. IF youre a rising JR you know who's serious and who isnt.

"Lots of kids still get signed in their senior year. Yes, it is understood that these are not the top echelon of players but you might seriously get being such a dick looked at."

Not at the schools anyone would want to attend. You are talking about schools people dont chose to attend, but rather have to, which based upon your logic and writing skills spat you out...

"We are in full lock step here."

I must be wrong then.

It will be chaotic for th"em. The chaos is more on the level as the birth year change was chaotic for some age groups more than others. The fallout could be clubs merging, folding, coaches getting laid off etc.."

Everything is chaotic for a middle schooler. Soccer will not be chaotic. Missing school and their friendships will be chaotic. The devoted are practicing and training just as much as they would otherwise and will be unaffected.

Pull up your big boy pants and be a man. And wipe the goo off your chin..

Again, you are applying emotion where non was implied. It will be chaotic. That doesn't mean it will be the end of the world but it will be a short term disruption, about on the scale of the birth year change.

I didn't state whether I was for or against Birth year but to claim that it was not disruptive in the short term would be a fallacy no matter what side you fell on. Soccer went on just fine for all involved but it WAS a disruption.

I think for kids in middle school Birth Year change is the right comparable.

Comment

You have it wrong all wrong. Kids get seen at younger ages now. If they were spotted at U15, you wouldnt have people crying about rising juniors and seniors. Coaches ID kids at U15 now. High school soccer is CRAP. The best kids play club soccer and the top schools see them there. If you want to go to local pissant U, maybe high school is your answer.
                            This^ Most ECNL/DA players have been seriously watched since U14/U15. If you have a rising Junior, they've been getting looks for at least a year & half-showcases, playoffs, league games, etc. that are all heavily attended. This isn't like EDP or NPL, where you get maybe 1 or 2 events a year to get serious looks if you're placed in a high enough bracket.

Comment

Official announcement by FC Barcelona regarding Barça Academy in Canada

Wow. Over 80 Canadian families owed money after Barça Academy goes bankrupt. Apparently were still taking fees 2 weeks ago and asking for parents to pay for the summer season. Parents owed between $2-4k each. What a scam BCN Sports!!

08:39PM SATURDAY 02 MAY (GMT)

Futbol Club Barcelona is sorry to announce that the organizing partner of the five BARÇA ACADEMIES in CANADA, BCN SPORTS SERVICE CANADA, has announced its decision to definitively close the five BARÇA ACADEMY following the chain of events caused by the spread of coronavirus around the world.

In the six years that these academies have been active, as well as holding a number of camps, FUTBOL CLUB BARCELONA has felt very much appreciated and supported by the thousands of families who have entrusted the club’s methodology and values for the sporting and human education of their children.

Futbol Club Barcelona thanks all of the boys and girls who have taken part in these Barça Academies over the years for enjoying themselves so much and learning to play football in accordance with the philosophy and understanding of sport that we share at the club.

Thank you for sharing this experience. See you soon

Comment

Wow. Over 80 Canadian families owed money after Barça Academy goes bankrupt. Apparently were still taking fees 2 weeks ago and asking for parents to pay for the summer season. Parents owed between $2-4k each. What a scam BCN Sports!!

08:39PM SATURDAY 02 MAY (GMT)

Futbol Club Barcelona is sorry to announce that the organizing partner of the five BARÇA ACADEMIES in CANADA, BCN SPORTS SERVICE CANADA, has announced its decision to definitively close the five BARÇA ACADEMY following the chain of events caused by the spread of coronavirus around the world.

In the six years that these academies have been active, as well as holding a number of camps, FUTBOL CLUB BARCELONA has felt very much appreciated and supported by the thousands of families who have entrusted the club’s methodology and values for the sporting and human education of their children.

Futbol Club Barcelona thanks all of the boys and girls who have taken part in these Barça Academies over the years for enjoying themselves so much and learning to play football in accordance with the philosophy and understanding of sport that we share at the club.

Thank you for sharing this experience. See you soon
                                Understandable. The home club is losing hundreds of millions of dollars right now and god knows how long it will be before youth soccer returns.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X