Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    You have taken this off track. I originally stated that she (and female athletes) are held to a double standard compared to males. I never wanted to start putting in order which offenses were better or worse. Since my original post I stumbled onto this article "Can We Please Make Room For Complex Female Athletes Like Hope Solo?" The main theme is similar to the point I am trying to make.

From article "But this entire story raises a larger question: How do we talk about female athletes? What happens when a woman does not neatly fit into the media's and society's limited definition of who a female athlete can be and how she is supposed to act? In other words: Can we make space for complicated, flawed female athletes?"

http://espn.go.com/espnw/news-commen...etes-hope-solo

You should check it out....
    and I'm saying that society doesn't have a "limited definition" of who a female athlete can be and how she is supposed to act. We, as a society don't have to be told how to define an athlete or an illegal act -whether male OR female. I think we do a disservice to all female athletes when we attempt to quantify their actions seperate and apart from their male counterparts. I don't want to make space for complicated, flawed female athletes any more than I want to make space for complicated, flawed male athletes when they break the law and act like they are entitled. And again - this applies more to Solo than most others because she is representing her country...that makes a big difference to me.

Playing in a professional sports league is a job and there are consequences when an athlete misbehaves - I don't expect those athletes to act better or worse than the norm. When it comes to those athletes that are representing their country on a National team in any sport - I believe those athletes should act better than the norm. It's not just a job, but a privilege and an honor to represent your country, and our National team members should act accordingly and be held to a higher standard than those athletes on teams in a professional sports league.

Comment

This is just crazy. Wrong is wrong wether you are an athelete or a domestic worker everybody is held to the same standard. That is where society is failing.

Comment

This is just crazy. Wrong is wrong wether you are an athelete or a domestic worker everybody is held to the same standard. That is where society is failing.
        Lets see the change in American Football for being, "Held to the same standard," and once that is accomplished, I'm all ears, until then, get off the bashing wagon!

Comment

and I'm saying that society doesn't have a "limited definition" of who a female athlete can be and how she is supposed to act. We, as a society don't have to be told how to define an athlete or an illegal act -whether male OR female. I think we do a disservice to all female athletes when we attempt to quantify their actions seperate and apart from their male counterparts. I don't want to make space for complicated, flawed female athletes any more than I want to make space for complicated, flawed male athletes when they break the law and act like they are entitled. And again - this applies more to Solo than most others because she is representing her country...that makes a big difference to me.

Playing in a professional sports league is a job and there are consequences when an athlete misbehaves - I don't expect those athletes to act better or worse than the norm. When it comes to those athletes that are representing their country on a National team in any sport - I believe those athletes should act better than the norm. It's not just a job, but a privilege and an honor to represent your country, and our National team members should act accordingly and be held to a higher standard than those athletes on teams in a professional sports league.
          yes, perhaps we should start a thread on Phelps, he too has fallen more than once with drugs and alcohol.

Comment

they aren't a stalker, but a woman hater; they jump on every thread they can.
            First off, Hope has mental illness in her family so the apple does not fall far from the tree.
            Second, *** was she thinking mouthing off to a cop?! Does she watch the news and has that ever worked out for anyone in the history of everything?
            Finally, the last thing the girl needs is a drink. You are in training for the one title that has alluded you in your career and you go tie one on with hubby? I hope Abby kicks her in the ass for this. What are you thinking Hope?

Comment

First off, Hope has mental illness in her family so the apple does not fall far from the tree.
              Second, *** was she thinking mouthing off to a cop?! Does she watch the news and has that ever worked out for anyone in the history of everything?
              Finally, the last thing the girl needs is a drink. You are in training for the one title that has alluded you in your career and you go tie one on with hubby? I hope Abby kicks her in the ass for this. What are you thinking Hope?
              Maybe she knows that probably Japan or Germany will in it.....she saw how bad our defenders are after watching Marta embarras the entire defense last month in Brazil

Comment

She was suspended. She deserved it. If she lives up to the conditions she was given and gets her focus where it needs to be then she should be part of the WC team. She has worked hard to be where she is. But she needs to grow up and start acting like the 30 something year old woman she is. Wish she would drop that husband of hers. He is bad news and is bringing her down.

Comment

The domestic violence charges against her were dropped. End of story.

The incident with her husband is pure stupidity on her end, and a 30 day suspension is appropriate.

WTH do you want? Easy to be judge and jury sitting on your a_s_s ain't it.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                  Auto-Saved
                  x
                  Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                  x
                  Working...
                  X