Hope"less" Solo can't stay out of the news

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

She seems like an old school drinker. The kind you hit the town with, play some pool, do shots at a nightclub with, get into an argument, then have a fight. The first one to call the police wins! Two days later, some hot make-up sex. Then have a couple of kids, draw them into your dysfunctional creation, get a divorce, then wonder why the kids become criminals or dope addicts. Next generation, please!

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      She seems like an old school drinker. The kind you hit the town with, play some pool, do shots at a nightclub with, get into an argument, then have a fight. The first one to call the police wins! Two days later, some hot make-up sex. Then have a couple of kids, draw them into your dysfunctional creation, get a divorce, then wonder why the kids become criminals or dope addicts. Next generation, please!
      Bahaha

Comment

Never Saw it Coming

Let's see, bad boy Stevens marries bad girl Solo = trouble...Nope, never saw that coming! When the preacher asked if there were any objections to this union, waited 15 minutes, than repeated again any objections at all no matter how large or minute, that just may have been the time for someone to speak up folks!

Comment

Let's see, bad boy Stevens marries bad girl Solo = trouble...Nope, never saw that coming! When the preacher asked if there were any objections to this union, waited 15 minutes, than repeated again any objections at all no matter how large or minute, that just may have been the time for someone to speak up folks!
          I'm a male and there is such a double-standard at work here. It seems to me like the things Solo has done (or been part of) have been pretty darned tame compared to some of the things the 'bad boys" do.

Comment

I'm a male and there is such a double-standard at work here. It seems to me like the things Solo has done (or been part of) have been pretty darned tame compared to some of the things the 'bad boys" do.
            You need to read up on Mr. bad boy then.

Comment

You need to read up on Mr. bad boy then.
              I mean give her a break, as a female athlete she has had a few dust ups that include alcohol - pretty minor stuff. Compared to a "bad boy" male athlete like Ray Rice for serious domestic violence or former New England Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez has been charged with murder in the death of 27-year-old semi-pro football player Odin Lloyd, who was found shot execution-style. No comparison and this "equality" argument is way off base!

Comment

Further evidence conjugal visitation contrary to society's interests.
                We seem to be reminded of this every six months.
                Outlawing it would decimate our trailer park population and destroy an entire economy/industry (meth), while at the same time costing one of the two existing political parties a significant number of votes each cycle.

Comment

I mean give her a break, as a female athlete she has had a few dust ups that include alcohol - pretty minor stuff. Compared to a "bad boy" male athlete like Ray Rice for serious domestic violence or former New England Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez has been charged with murder in the death of 27-year-old semi-pro football player Odin Lloyd, who was found shot execution-style. No comparison and this "equality" argument is way off base!
                  I think people are frustrated at how trashy she is. People hold women to a higher behavioral standard, right or wrong, so bad girls stick out of the crowd. Plus, most pro athletes are males so obviously you are going to see more extreme cases with males. High profile female athletes being so rare, it is surprising to see one of them as such a train wreck.

Her Dad is to blame - he must be a real piece of work.

Comment

There's a great defense - I may be stupid, reckless and do illegal stuff....but I'm not as bad as Ray Rice and Aaron Hernandez! I think we should expect much more from the athletes that represent our country on our National teams. They should be at a higher level athletically as well as more mature and less inclined to cause trouble. The fact that Hope Solo hasn't lowered herself to the worst level in all of sports is not something to be proud of.

Comment

Outlawing it would decimate our trailer park population and destroy an entire economy/industry (meth), while at the same time costing one of the two existing political parties a significant number of votes each cycle.
                      Yah - cause trailer park meth-head rednecks are turning out in droves to support the political process...lol

Comment

Yah - cause trailer park meth-head rednecks are turning out in droves to support the political process...lol
                        Gotta keep those EBT cards a-comin' ...

Comment

There's a great defense - I may be stupid, reckless and do illegal stuff....but I'm not as bad as Ray Rice and Aaron Hernandez! I think we should expect much more from the athletes that represent our country on our National teams. They should be at a higher level athletically as well as more mature and less inclined to cause trouble. The fact that Hope Solo hasn't lowered herself to the worst level in all of sports is not something to be proud of.
                          This is exactly my point. Poster says "The fact that Hope Solo hasn't lowered herself to the worst level in all of sports is not something to be proud of." The examples of Rice and Hernandez seem 10 times worse! Wouldn't those be MUCH closer to the "lowest level in sports."? Cut her some slack.....

Comment

This is exactly my point. Poster says "The fact that Hope Solo hasn't lowered herself to the worst level in all of sports is not something to be proud of." The examples of Rice and Hernandez seem 10 times worse! Wouldn't those be MUCH closer to the "lowest level in sports."? Cut her some slack.....
                            ok she gets a D instead of an F...you happy now? failing is failing. We want better from our so called role models!

Comment

I understand your point - I just think it's not a valid defense. Yes, Rice and Hernandez are both worse examples of athletes and human beings than Solo. Using that same logic, let's cut Ray Rice some slack...I mean it's not like he's as bad as Aaron Hernandez, right? There's always somebody somewhere who has done something worse, it doesn't make what Solo has done any less bad. I don't want to compare how bad our sports stars are, especially when they are representing our country on the National team of any sport. I think there should be a higher standard for an athlete on the National team vs an athlete playing for a paycheck in the NFL, NBA etc. Just because another athlete somewhere has done worse things than Solo, doesn't mean she should be cut any slack - she should not be judged against the worst of the sports world, she should be judged against the best.

Comment

I understand your point - I just think it's not a valid defense. Yes, Rice and Hernandez are both worse examples of athletes and human beings than Solo. Using that same logic, let's cut Ray Rice some slack...I mean it's not like he's as bad as Aaron Hernandez, right? There's always somebody somewhere who has done something worse, it doesn't make what Solo has done any less bad. I don't want to compare how bad our sports stars are, especially when they are representing our country on the National team of any sport. I think there should be a higher standard for an athlete on the National team vs an athlete playing for a paycheck in the NFL, NBA etc. Just because another athlete somewhere has done worse things than Solo, doesn't mean she should be cut any slack - she should not be judged against the worst of the sports world, she should be judged against the best.
                                You have taken this off track. I originally stated that she (and female athletes) are held to a double standard compared to males. I never wanted to start putting in order which offenses were better or worse. Since my original post I stumbled onto this article "Can We Please Make Room For Complex Female Athletes Like Hope Solo?" The main theme is similar to the point I am trying to make.

From article "But this entire story raises a larger question: How do we talk about female athletes? What happens when a woman does not neatly fit into the media's and society's limited definition of who a female athlete can be and how she is supposed to act? In other words: Can we make space for complicated, flawed female athletes?"

http://espn.go.com/espnw/news-commen...etes-hope-solo

You should check it out....

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X