Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    driving from Ft. Myers to Brandon for practice is insane, one day you will look back and say *** was I thinking, wasted time, wasted money, what a shame to make a kid spend so much time sitting in a car.
    I don't make my daughter do it, she begged to play ECNL. We also have a car pool so spending 2hrs studying with your friends isn't so bad.

Comment

Listen to yourself. And whoever feels a need to put down the National League and the PL, listen to yourself. The reality is, there are two leagues that offer quality soccer and more opportunity to girls. What difference does it make which league you and daughter have chosen? Be happy and stop feeling the need to bash the other. It's just pitiful.

BTW, anyone know if ECNL will add any teams this year. It's gone completely quiet. I keep checking to see if anyone has any real insight, but all I see is the usual ECNL vs non-ECNL fight.
      Both offer "quality soccer" one league, ECNL offers 18 of the 24 recent U-18 girls US YNT players. Development happens when the best play the best. That's not happening in the national league.

Comment

My daughter plays ECNL

Both offer "quality soccer" one league, ECNL offers 18 of the 24 recent U-18 girls US YNT players. Development happens when the best play the best. That's not happening in the national league.
        I'm the one who said both leagues offer quality soccer. My child plays on an ECNL team. She has played against some of the best teams and players in the country. Her team is solid. She has also played friendlies against some of the teams in the National League. They were good teams. They moved the ball well and their technical skills were very good. The one difference I saw was the speed of play, which was slightly higher with ECNL. That's the difference, but those teams did play good quality soccer.

I think everyone needs to get over the argument about which league is better. I am happy there are two good leagues out there. It increases the opportunity for girls. Not everyone girl who is playing soccer today wants to play in college. Of those that do, they don't all dream or even think they can play at UNC, FSU, or UCLA. Some just want to continue to play in college at a school where they can get a good education and play the sport they love. That's the bulk of the girls who continue on in college. Both leagues can prepare the typical women's college player.

With Signing Day just a week away, girls from all over the country will sign their NLI. Many of them will have never played ECNL. My child is going to play for a small D1 program. Of the six in her class, two have played ECNL. Some here may criticize her because she isn't playing for a big program, and they will ask why we bothered with ECNL if she isn't going to play for a big program. But, she knew what was realistic and is going where she will succeed academically. She knows how to manage her time better than most adults I know, which is a result of playing soccer and working to get best grades possible. She will leave college in four years having played a varsity sport in college. How many of us can say that? Just be thankful there are opportunities that will prepare your kids to play beyond high school, if that is what they choose to do.

Comment

I'm the one who said both leagues offer quality soccer. My child plays on an ECNL team. She has played against some of the best teams and players in the country. Her team is solid. She has also played friendlies against some of the teams in the National League. They were good teams. They moved the ball well and their technical skills were very good. The one difference I saw was the speed of play, which was slightly higher with ECNL. That's the difference, but those teams did play good quality soccer.

I think everyone needs to get over the argument about which league is better. I am happy there are two good leagues out there. It increases the opportunity for girls. Not everyone girl who is playing soccer today wants to play in college. Of those that do, they don't all dream or even think they can play at UNC, FSU, or UCLA. Some just want to continue to play in college at a school where they can get a good education and play the sport they love. That's the bulk of the girls who continue on in college. Both leagues can prepare the typical women's college player.

With Signing Day just a week away, girls from all over the country will sign their NLI. Many of them will have never played ECNL. My child is going to play for a small D1 program. Of the six in her class, two have played ECNL. Some here may criticize her because she isn't playing for a big program, and they will ask why we bothered with ECNL if she isn't going to play for a big program. But, she knew what was realistic and is going where she will succeed academically. She knows how to manage her time better than most adults I know, which is a result of playing soccer and working to get best grades possible. She will leave college in four years having played a varsity sport in college. How many of us can say that? Just be thankful there are opportunities that will prepare your kids to play beyond high school, if that is what they choose to do.
          Thanks for the well-reasoned post. Congrats on your parenting success and best of luck to your daughter and future leader of her community.

Comment

While I tend to disagree with your speed of play assessment. This is one of the best quotes I've seen on this site in a long time. Thank you.

Comment

I didn't mean to offend anyone

While I tend to disagree with your speed of play assessment. This is one of the best quotes I've seen on this site in a long time. Thank you.
              Just to qualify. When I say speed of play is quicker with Ecnl, you should realize that I am not only referring to the league play, but also the showcases, which make up a good portion of the games played over the course of an Ecnl season. Sting, Eclipse, Surf, PDA, Real Colorado, etc are quick teams, and you have to play fast to keep up. We didn't win the games, but we weren't blown out either.

Again, I am not out to offend anyone. I just want to dismiss the idea that there is no quality soccer outside ECNL simply because most players on the Women's National Teams now have an Ecnl background. It really depends on one's definition of quality soccer. In fact, I would say that our teams speed and athleticism kept us in games with teams that were better technically and tactically, but not quite as fast. Personally, I think that technical and tactical skills better define quality. But, today speed (and often size) are typically the first thing that gets a kid noticed.

Comment

Just to qualify. When I say speed of play is quicker with Ecnl, you should realize that I am not only referring to the league play, but also the showcases, which make up a good portion of the games played over the course of an Ecnl season. Sting, Eclipse, Surf, PDA, Real Colorado, etc are quick teams, and you have to play fast to keep up. We didn't win the games, but we weren't blown out either.

Again, I am not out to offend anyone. I just want to dismiss the idea that there is no quality soccer outside ECNL simply because most players on the Women's National Teams now have an Ecnl background. It really depends on one's definition of quality soccer. In fact, I would say that our teams speed and athleticism kept us in games with teams that were better technically and tactically, but not quite as fast. Personally, I think that technical and tactical skills better define quality. But, today speed (and often size) are typically the first thing that gets a kid noticed.
                I am in no way saying one league is better than the other either; they are both great leagues. I am just sharing an observation. It sounds like we have 2 different experiences in the same space. My daughter has played in the NL as well as for what I would call a lower tier ECNL team. The NL speed of play that I have experienced was much faster than what I saw with the vast majority of low to mid level ECNL teams in both league play and at the showcase events. I'm sure the top ECNL teams are at a different level. The NL teams all seemed to have similar levels of talent and speed. I'm guessing because the NL requires teams to qualify every year so only the top teams make it.

Comment

I think going forward you will see that the majority of the players on the national team are from an ECNL team, but right now you are off. Most of the players on the national team are to old to have played in the ECNL, the league just hasn't been around that long. I still think that college coaches along with ODP coaches are some times taking the easy and less expensive way out by recruiting ECNL players. It cost their school a lot less to send them to the ECNL showcases than to go all over the country to the smaller showcases looking for talent. There aren't enough ECNL teams in the nation for all of the best players to be playing in the league. I would say the same thing about DA on the boys side. There are plenty of D1 caliber players around the country that aren't playing in the DA for one reason or another, but the majority of D1 players are now coming out of the DA system.

Comment

I think going forward you will see that the majority of the players on the national team are from an ECNL team, but right now you are off. Most of the players on the national team are to old to have played in the ECNL, the league just hasn't been around that long. I still think that college coaches along with ODP coaches are some times taking the easy and less expensive way out by recruiting ECNL players. It cost their school a lot less to send them to the ECNL showcases than to go all over the country to the smaller showcases looking for talent. There aren't enough ECNL teams in the nation for all of the best players to be playing in the league. I would say the same thing about DA on the boys side. There are plenty of D1 caliber players around the country that aren't playing in the DA for one reason or another, but the majority of D1 players are now coming out of the DA system.
                    And very much explains why the MNT can't seem to get things going, and explains why the current WNT, can. Only time will tell if ecnl can add to what the WNT is doing. It only takes a handful of girls to make a team so they should be able to field great teams, but I definitely think you are accurate when you say current colleges take the easy way out...

Comment

You may be right

I am in no way saying one league is better than the other either; they are both great leagues. I am just sharing an observation. It sounds like we have 2 different experiences in the same space. My daughter has played in the NL as well as for what I would call a lower tier ECNL team. The NL speed of play that I have experienced was much faster than what I saw with the vast majority of low to mid level ECNL teams in both league play and at the showcase events. I'm sure the top ECNL teams are at a different level. The NL teams all seemed to have similar levels of talent and speed. I'm guessing because the NL requires teams to qualify every year so only the top teams make it.
                      My experience with the NL is limited. I can only go from a few friendlies with teams playing in the NL. Plus, my daughter's team isn't a lower tier ECNL team (we aren't from Florida, just in case you are wondering). As a result they have played in the Champions league and against some of the top teams in the country. Those teams are fast, and they are good technically and tactically. It has benefitted my daughter to play against them. So, perhaps our experience is different than yours and that explains the difference in perception.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                      Auto-Saved
                      x
                      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                      x
                      Working...
                      X