Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    There are no politics in the USNT selection process.

Seriously though, in this country is doesn't matter. There is so much talent of this caliber in the US you take 1-20 or 1-3 + 23-40 and do just as well.
    I'd just point out that the Breakers teams in this summers WPSL had somewhat of what you would call '1-20' teams. And even though some of the scores were close, they dominated the other teams, especially the Aztecs and Mutiny, both of which had their share 1-10 type players from high caliber college teams.

My point is that in this case, a little more talent per player translated into much better teams. I also admit that I'm a relative novice who has a lot of time on my hands but has grown to absolutely love this game.

Comment

I'd just point out that the Breakers teams in this summers WPSL had somewhat of what you would call '1-20' teams. And even though some of the scores were close, they dominated the other teams, especially the Aztecs and Mutiny, both of which had their share 1-10 type players from high caliber college teams.

My point is that in this case, a little more talent per player translated into much better teams. I also admit that I'm a relative novice who has a lot of time on my hands but has grown to absolutely love this game.
      I don't follow. Everybody as 1-20 and 1-10 talent? How does that work?

I'm not saying this dynamic applies to every region and every level of soccer. I am talking about the USNT. You can take either set of player (1-20 or 1-3/23-40) and do equally well at the national level. We are stacked with this kind of talent at the top and many are virtually indistinguishable from each other save the top 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 depending upon the year. It usually comes down to coach preference and style. The players in this tier are chosen for fit with the coach and the system.

Comment

I have to say I'm at least curious to know if any of the 5 have political connections. That is not to say that they are not excellent players, I'm sure they are. I'm still just curious.
        First let me admit that I cannot count. There are 4 from VA and 1 from MD.
        http://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2014...wnt-wwc-roster

I am not aware of any "political connections" except that BB was coached by Paul Ellis, brother of Jillian. In fact, the one club you would expect to have connections, McLean, has no players on the team. One notable characteristic of the DC suburbs is that median income is very high. Arlington, Fairfax and Loudoun counties are first, third and fifth in the U.S. for median household incomes. Educational attainment is also high.

Comment

First let me admit that I cannot count. There are 4 from VA and 1 from MD.
          http://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2014...wnt-wwc-roster

I am not aware of any "political connections" except that BB was coached by Paul Ellis, brother of Jillian. In fact, the one club you would expect to have connections, McLean, has no players on the team. One notable characteristic of the DC suburbs is that median income is very high. Arlington, Fairfax and Loudoun counties are first, third and fifth in the U.S. for median household incomes. Educational attainment is also high.
          I wondered about possible political connections because of the income of the area. Or more specifically where the income comes from in the Washington suburbs: Politically connected jobs. So more than likely you are talking about a higher than usual amount of politically connected parents of soccer players.

Comment

I wondered about possible political connections because of the income of the area. Or more specifically where the income comes from in the Washington suburbs: Politically connected jobs. So more than likely you are talking about a higher than usual amount of politically connected parents of soccer players.
            Why isn't it just as likely that given the dense elite soccer demographic that the area would have a high number of outstanding players? Wouldn't that help explain the relative success of clubs in the DC/Northern VA area, Baltimore Bays, CASL in NC, etc.

Comment

Why isn't it just as likely that given the dense elite soccer demographic that the area would have a high number of outstanding players? Wouldn't that help explain the relative success of clubs in the DC/Northern VA area, Baltimore Bays, CASL in NC, etc.
              Sorry if I missed this but has anyone seen what the turnover is from this group? How many of the current roster were on a U17 roster?

Comment

There are no politics in the USNT selection process.
                ha ha ha ha ha ha!!

Comment

Your point is understood but I would suggest that the conclusion you are drawing from the WPSL season is somewhat faulty. The competition in the WPSL is always sort of spotty because the rosters are more fluid than you get with a normal team. It is a summer league and you do get all sorts of conflicts even with high level and committed players.

Comment

Why does there have to be some deep political intrigue behind the process, why can't we just accept the very obvious conclusion that our clubs around here are not doing all that good a job developing high level talent?

Comment

ha ha ha ha ha ha!!
                      I guess you don't recognize sarcasm even when it bites you on the *****.
                      :-)

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                      Auto-Saved
                      x
                      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                      x
                      Working...
                      X