Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    If the artificial surface was superior why wouldn't they be the preferred playing surface for FIFA, EPL? MLB parks who have artificial grass are considered jokes (Trop in Tampa, Rogers in Toronto). Football in the northern climates tends to be too difficult to maintain due to the growing season and all have pretty much switched. But in the South, many more grass fields.

The positives for artificial are much lower maintenance and a consistent playing surface regardless of weather and traffiic.

Please explain why the switch has not been universal to artificial turf.
    Cost is #1. Some towns still don't even have one except maybe at the local HS and that's it. It is beyond the reach of many towns, let alone clubs. Add to that neighborhood resistance (I know of one private school who wanted to put one in but the neighbors shot it down on sketchy environmental arguments), health concerns (heat intensity, more jarring surface, etc).

As another poster said the blessed towns/clubs have access to both. It's good for players to get a feel for both, speed of the ball, bounce, etc. As they play other teams they will be playing on all types.

Comment

Cost is #1. Some towns still don't even have one except maybe at the local HS and that's it. It is beyond the reach of many towns, let alone clubs. Add to that neighborhood resistance (I know of one private school who wanted to put one in but the neighbors shot it down on sketchy environmental arguments), health concerns (heat intensity, more jarring surface, etc).

As another poster said the blessed towns/clubs have access to both. It's good for players to get a feel for both, speed of the ball, bounce, etc. As they play other teams they will be playing on all types.
      While my kids readily admit that they play better on turf, they much prefer playing on a well-kept natural grass field. The issue is where we live. Keeping natural grass fields playable is virtually impossible in this region, given the amount of play that's required and the short growing season. Without artificial turf fields, all outdoor sports would essentially be shut down from November to late April, in order to keep the fields playable (otherwise, we'd need 2x the field space in order to allow for proper rotation).

Comment

And the unlucky teams don't have access to turf. It definitely puts them at a disadvantage to teams who can practice well into December and start back up again as early as February. If you have to rely only on grass you won't see a field until April in most cases.

Comment

I think this is a good thing so kids can start building up a tolerance to carcinogens. So by the time they start smoking in high school their bodies are used to them and therefore there are no harmful effects

Comment

I think this is a good thing so kids can start building up a tolerance to carcinogens. So by the time they start smoking in high school their bodies are used to them and therefore there are no harmful effects
            Nice contribution. Thanks for playing along.

Comment

Nothing beats a good sized artificial turf raspberry! Right on the thigh/ass... I would ban turf, just to avoid those on a school night, after a 10 pm game. Seriously though, saw 2 different players faint from the fumes of a new turf field. 1st time ever on turf, at a southern school, and they were consumed by it. Registered 108* air temp, and 165 on turf. New generations being created, have natural filler and turf that will have real grass blended in. The natural filler will be an organic medium. Will have to replace medium 2-3 times a year, but will make turf last 25-30 yrs, instead of 8-12. Covered in winter with a grow blanket, for grass in early/mid March. Sales rep kept pointing out, it will have 90% less of the synthetic recycled materials they use now. All the bad stuff is in the recycled materials, and they are moving away from it. Don't know how cost effective it will be in the beginning. I'm sure they are banking the longer life expectancy will get facilities to upgrade. Most of the 2nd generation fields are at the end now. I'm sure there is someone on here who works in, or around this industry, and could give more info on this?

Comment

Nothing beats a good sized artificial turf raspberry! Right on the thigh/ass... I would ban turf, just to avoid those on a school night, after a 10 pm game. Seriously though, saw 2 different players faint from the fumes of a new turf field. 1st time ever on turf, at a southern school, and they were consumed by it. Registered 108* air temp, and 165 on turf. New generations being created, have natural filler and turf that will have real grass blended in. The natural filler will be an organic medium. Will have to replace medium 2-3 times a year, but will make turf last 25-30 yrs, instead of 8-12. Covered in winter with a grow blanket, for grass in early/mid March. Sales rep kept pointing out, it will have 90% less of the synthetic recycled materials they use now. All the bad stuff is in the recycled materials, and they are moving away from it. Don't know how cost effective it will be in the beginning. I'm sure they are banking the longer life expectancy will get facilities to upgrade. Most of the 2nd generation fields are at the end now. I'm sure there is someone on here who works in, or around this industry, and could give more info on this?
                Very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

My daughter hates turf. The abrasions and bruises she gets are horrible. Her school got a new turf field last fall and it was promptly contaminated by a player with MRSA.

A couple of years ago my daughter played on a field overseas where the filler was organic (moss). She said that was the nicest field she ever played on, cooler, softer, much more like grass; she could even slide tackle on it without getting the road-rash that you get on our current generation of rubber-filled fields. Hopefully they will keep advancing the tech.

Comment

My daughter hates turf. The abrasions and bruises she gets are horrible. Her school got a new turf field last fall and it was promptly contaminated by a player with MRSA.

A couple of years ago my daughter played on a field overseas where the filler was organic (moss). She said that was the nicest field she ever played on, cooler, softer, much more like grass; she could even slide tackle on it without getting the road-rash that you get on our current generation of rubber-filled fields. Hopefully they will keep advancing the tech.
                    One of my son's club team mates got a nasty infection from turf, and from the tiniest little nick too. He was so sick, missed school and tons of soccer. Nasty stuff.

I too hope the technology improves. Makes sense that manufacturers are looking at way to increase frequency of re-refurbishing. Kind of like selling printers and ink - once you've sold the equipment to a buyer then what? If it's something that is a healthier/safer option then I'm all for it.

Comment

my friend, kelly leak, once played in a game at the old Astrodome in houston and got a burn when he slid on the turf

Comment

Exactly - however, the 108 - 165oF causes off-gassing which distributes toxins 3-6feet above the turf (where your kids breathing holes are). Most turf fields will not be replaced within 6 years.

Similar to formaldehyde use on carpets and cabinets which were banned due to carcinogen effect. Also similar to breathing in gas fumes at the pump, except your kids are breathing deeply so the gas penetrates deeper into the lungs where carcinogenic effects are harder to determine.

Would not be so cavalier about my kid being on these fields 24x7 over the summer. All the camps at the clubs are on turf and our kids are there about 8 hours / day.

-Erin Brokovich

Comment

Exactly - however, the 108 - 165oF causes off-gassing which distributes toxins 3-6feet above the turf (where your kids breathing holes are). Most turf fields will not be replaced within 6 years.

Similar to formaldehyde use on carpets and cabinets which were banned due to carcinogen effect. Also similar to breathing in gas fumes at the pump, except your kids are breathing deeply so the gas penetrates deeper into the lungs where carcinogenic effects are harder to determine.

Would not be so cavalier about my kid being on these fields 24x7 over the summer. All the camps at the clubs are on turf and our kids are there about 8 hours / day.

-Erin Brokovich
                          What dummy let's their kid play in 108 degree heat? This is all BS. Only players that have no skill wish to play on grass because no grass field around here can be as fast and smooth as turf. Skilled teams have an advantage on turf.

Comment

-Erin Brokovich
                            so send them somewhere else if you are that concerned.

Comment

so send them somewhere else if you are that concerned.
                              Yeah, like Beijing or Shanghai. They'll get a mask to wear.
                              Hmmmm.

Comment

Turf fields in the summer are the same as roads and parking lots in the summer

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X