Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is H.S. Soccer holding back the U.S.A. ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Nope. Just laugh at how wound up HS parents get at DAP kids. Why do you care so much?
    I don't get wound up at all about DAP kids. What gave you that idea?

I was just commenting on a prior poster's incorrect observation about whether people care about HS soccer.

I have no conflict with DAP. I think DAP and HS soccer coexist quite well together. I really don't understand why people treat one or the other as though one is bad. They are both good.

In fact contrary to the title of the thread - that HS holds back the US, the truth is the exact opposite. HS is one of the social forces propelling US soccer forward. It's impossible for US soccer to mature if there is no fan base. Because if there's no fan base, then there's no money in soccer. If there's no money, then they'll be no great US soccer players ever. They'll play some other sport. HS is the number one creator of future soccer fans - people who played, enjoy watching and are willing to pay to watch and support the sport of soccer. You'll never get such people if all they ever did was play basketball, football and baseball.

HS is one of the reasons why the world cup this year has been such a big television success in the U.S. The group of adults who are now in their 30's and 40's and watching the World Cup are part of that first wave of children who grew up playing soccer in the U.S.
    And having a greater soccer culture that supports the sport is one of the elements that moves soccer forward, not backward. Maybe you don't like to admit it, but the 200,000 little bench sitting Johnny's and Sallie's who never played beyond high school will have a bigger positive impact on soccer in the USA than almost any other factor.

Comment

The more kids playing the better, and having a positive HS soccer experience means you're more likely to create life-long fans. Would we be making the same argument about football, baseball or basketball if those were more international sports? Probably not. Most HS athletes in any sport will not play in college or play professionally. Most play because they enjoy the sport and playing with friends, and that's how it should be. DAP or top level club is a great avenue for the most skilled soccer players. The only impact I see of HS soccer on is the tough choice some players have to make in choosing one over the other. For those who do both then injury is the primary risk, not a massive slide in skills in such a short period of time.

Soccer's worldwide popularity didn't happen over night, nor did the sophistication of play, coaching, etc. Soccer in the US is fighting an uphill battle against other well established sports, but it has come a long way. And this WC showed that we've also come a long way competitively.

Comment

Girls soccer. No one cares
        Based on the volume on this board, a lot more people care about girls soccer than boys. There are two threads on EMASS boys HS soccer and each one has gotten exactly one response in each. The silence is deafening.

Comment

Based on the volume on this board, a lot more people care about girls soccer than boys. There are two threads on EMASS boys HS soccer and each one has gotten exactly one response in each. The silence is deafening.
          In general you're right, but you're being a little premature on this one. The Boys HS EMass thread is one of the most popular every year. Check again in a couple of months. And many care just as much about the boys side but don't spend their whole lives in the middle of a bunch of self-created silly drama.

Comment

it's summer. it will ramp up again as it gets closer to September.

Comment

The more kids playing the better, and having a positive HS soccer experience means you're more likely to create life-long fans. Would we be making the same argument about football, baseball or basketball if those were more international sports? Probably not. Most HS athletes in any sport will not play in college or play professionally. Most play because they enjoy the sport and playing with friends, and that's how it should be. DAP or top level club is a great avenue for the most skilled soccer players. The only impact I see of HS soccer on is the tough choice some players have to make in choosing one over the other. For those who do both then injury is the primary risk, not a massive slide in skills in such a short period of time.

Soccer's worldwide popularity didn't happen over night, nor did the sophistication of play, coaching, etc. Soccer in the US is fighting an uphill battle against other well established sports, but it has come a long way. And this WC showed that we've also come a long way competitively.
              @attleboro high school waiting for Geoff Cameron to make an appearance with his high school coach . Stands are packed. At least one international is not ashamed of his high school experience

Comment

I don't get wound up at all about DAP kids. What gave you that idea?

I was just commenting on a prior poster's incorrect observation about whether people care about HS soccer.

I have no conflict with DAP. I think DAP and HS soccer coexist quite well together. I really don't understand why people treat one or the other as though one is bad. They are both good.

In fact contrary to the title of the thread - that HS holds back the US, the truth is the exact opposite. HS is one of the social forces propelling US soccer forward. It's impossible for US soccer to mature if there is no fan base. Because if there's no fan base, then there's no money in soccer. If there's no money, then they'll be no great US soccer players ever. They'll play some other sport. HS is the number one creator of future soccer fans - people who played, enjoy watching and are willing to pay to watch and support the sport of soccer. You'll never get such people if all they ever did was play basketball, football and baseball.

HS is one of the reasons why the world cup this year has been such a big television success in the U.S. The group of adults who are now in their 30's and 40's and watching the World Cup are part of that first wave of children who grew up playing soccer in the U.S.
                And having a greater soccer culture that supports the sport is one of the elements that moves soccer forward, not backward. Maybe you don't like to admit it, but the 200,000 little bench sitting Johnny's and Sallie's who never played beyond high school will have a bigger positive impact on soccer in the USA than almost any other factor.
                Spot on.

In other countries without the pull of HS and college soccer, the club and youth academy systems are the model (and then it is a contrast of rigid, bring them in young - Dutch vs let them play all day in the streets and then bring in the ones who rise up - Brazil, etc.). The US needs to move to that in terms of the US National teams for sure with those kids ID at the right age probably not playing HS or college but getting to top professional leagues.

Soccer has a big advantage over other sports in you can start very early without it being a detriment to development and being fun, but it needs involved and (somewhat) knowledgeable parents -- and the poster is correct, it needs folks willing to go to MLS games and not just tuning in every 4 years. In other countries, there are not the other sports (at least to the degree here) pulling kids away at 12/14 even when it is clear they won't be a high level player -- but the ability to play HS and for a select few college keeps the basic U15+ teams going.

DAP and HS should be mutually exclusive, but they can co-exist nicely; the girls side doesn't have the degree of a professional hook so HS and elite programs should complement (look at Morgan A up in New Hampshire )

Comment

@attleboro high school waiting for Geoff Cameron to make an appearance with his high school coach . Stands are packed. At least one international is not ashamed of his high school experience
                  Geoff Cameron would have played DAP if was around then

Comment

Geoff Cameron would have played DAP if was around then
                    Geoff Cameron didn't need DAP . He had a good town coach and good club coach. Oh wait he also had 2 good Portuguese high school coaches.
                    Both of his High School coaches sent many kids to play D1 and professional careers.

Comment

He transferred to Providence Country Day after his sophomore year. If AHS was that great an experience, he would have stayed all four years

Comment

He transferred to Providence Country Day after his sophomore year. If AHS was that great an experience, he would have stayed all four years
                        I guess providence country day was not a high school. What do you call it in your world???
                        SD his club coach ..coached at PCD so I am sure he had something to do with it.

It not the first time that he has come to attleboro to visit .so yes he must of had a good experience.
                        I know that in your little world it doesn't make sense that someone can develop in high school .

Comment

Geoff Cameron didn't need DAP . He had a good town coach and good club coach. Oh wait he also had 2 good Portuguese high school coaches.
                          Both of his High School coaches sent many kids to play D1 and professional careers.
                          It was pre DAP so what else would they do. Now they would play DAP.

Comment

I guess providence country day was not a high school. What do you call it in your world???
                            SD his club coach ..coached at PCD so I am sure he had something to do with it.

It not the first time that he has come to attleboro to visit .so yes he must of had a good experience.
                            I know that in your little world it doesn't make sense that someone can develop in high school .
                            Gee, a club coach collecting all his minions at the regional private high school where he coaches? Never heard of that before. Taking notes SJS? Telling that we went back to AHS, not PCD to talk. That's where his friends and best memories are, I suspect. The Euro-Hessians will never get that.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                            Auto-Saved
                            x
                            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                            x
                            Working...
                            X